Ares Games

Thread: New planes have landed! And new land for planes to land ON...

Default New planes have landed! And new land for planes to land ON...

Took advantage of being of work to go to the doctor to go to the FLGS a day early:

A few quick pics, hot off the presses. Still haven given everything a through one over, but was struck immediately by the City mat I opened. Very vibrant & detailed. Looks much better in person than any pic I've seen online.

The mat does indeed look great! I might just have to phase out my old WoW mats.

Looking great, Rob.
    I have all 3 mats on order from Milsims in Melbourne as the Freight from the US more than doubled the price.

They do indeed look superb Rob.
    Thanks for posting your pictures.
    Rob.

Ooh! That was going to be a new purchase for me as I screwed up my mat a bit.

Looks like a nice haul you got there.

Are there differences in the paint job/markings of the aircrafts compared to the Revised Deluxe Set?

All looks good awaiting mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Are there differences in the paint job/markings of the aircrafts compared to the Revised Deluxe Set?
    I don't know...I only started collecting models with the Ares releases, so I don't have them. From what I understand, they're the same?

Thanks for the comments chaps. I have an Olympus digital camera (about 8 years old though), so I thought I'd be getting better pictures than this. Gonna hafta bust out the manual & see if I can figure out how to get better close ups with them being blurry. I took some of the individual planes, but they weren't good enough to share.

Cool. The new game mats!

What's inside the Duel packs? Heard someting about an "A"-damage deck, a ruler and short rules.

I wasn't going to do it, but you convinced me to buy the mats.

I have an Olympus too. For text settings for close ups, look for 'macro'. For pictograms for close ups look for a tulip or a tulip with a '+' after it. That should help. Nice pics, though. My Luke/Baumer Duel Pack should be here Saturday. Just in time to show off to my friends at the er... Big Game? party.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I wasn't going to do it, but you convinced me to buy the mats.
    I hope you like them. I was inspired enough to bust out Luke & Baumer for a quick dogfight on one last night, even though dead tired (thus no pics) & my opinion holds: I thought it really was quite lovely & am highly pleased with my purchase, & hope you feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalazarus View Post
    I have an Olympus too. For text settings for close ups, look for 'macro'. For pictograms for close ups look for a tulip or a tulip with a '+' after it. That should help. Nice pics, though. My Luke/Baumer Duel Pack should be here Saturday. Just in time to show off to my friends at the er... Big Game? party.
    Thanks for the tip! I think I did go looking & maybe clicked on the tulip, but not a plus sign?

Great update ancd pictures, thanks so much!
    Here some more pictures, contents included:
    http://www.gioconomicon.net/modules....ails&album=786

orcafinn

The Duel packs do have new plane paint schemes, not one's already done by the WOW releases.

All 3 of the SPAD 13 releases are new paint jobs. Both Albatros D.5's are new, and both Dr.1 releases are new. The Camel releases have 2 new paint jobs, but the Barker Camel is a repeat of the Camel released by wow. All in all, a nice set of airplanes.

That is not quite correct. All four of the aircraft involved in the new dual packs were previously released with unshiny versions of those paint-jobs in the Revised Deluxe set by Nexus Games. Of the new release of set one, five of them were previously done, so there are seven new paint-jobs. Again the new release seems to like shiny aircraft. Time to break out the Testors Dullcote.

Quote Originally Posted by orcafinn View Post
    The Duel packs do have new plane paint schemes, not one's already done by the WOW releases.

All 3 of the SPAD 13 releases are new paint jobs. Both Albatros D.5's are new, and both Dr.1 releases are new. The Camel releases have 2 new paint jobs, but the Barker Camel is a repeat of the Camel released by wow. All in all, a nice set of airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    That is not quite correct. All four of the aircraft involved in the new dual packs were previously released with unshiny versions of those paint-jobs in the Revised Deluxe set by Nexus Games. Of the new release of set one, five of them were previously done, so there are seven new paint-jobs. Again the new release seems to like shiny aircraft. Time to break out the Testors Dullcote.
    I've heard others say that. I'm sure they're more historic dull, but am I nuts because I like 'em shiny...

I do think I'm going to use a red sharpie on those emblems on MvR's DR.I. I dind't notice until someone pointed it out, & now it's driving me nuts.

What's wrong with the emblems?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    What's wrong with the emblems?
    Right around the edges they have an orange-ish tint to them. Not a big deal breaker, but mildly noticible once you know it's there. You can even see it in my somewhat poor pics above.

Congrats on your new arrivals. How do the new mats compare to the older mats? Could you use them together? Does your DR have that chip on the wing like some others have been talking about?

Can't wait to get my order organized to place it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post
    Congrats on your new arrivals. How do the new mats compare to the older mats? Could you use them together? Does your DR have that chip on the wing like some others have been talking about?

Can't wait to get my order organized to place it.
    Don't have the original ones. so I can not compare. Don't recall if anyone else has. Seems like I recall hearing that they are NOT compatible though.

As for the chip, I did not notice one, even after I heard about it & glanced again. I'll look closer when I get home just to make sure.

Cool used stuff wanted!

QUOTE= I might just have to phase out my old WoW mats. (any chance on calling dib's har har)

at pics. Now I can see what I will be getting Monday since both have been sent out. Very nice.

Similar Missions

1. WGF [Sale] WOW WWI and WWII planes, old gaming mat
    By hawk02 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 03:37
  2. Da Planes!!!!!! Boss!!!! Da Planes!!!!!
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 18:59
  3. typical distance between sides/trenches - i.e. how wide was no man's land?
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 11:24
  4. Land Units
    By Scott in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 21:23