Ares Games

Thread: ALERT! INCOMING ARMADA!

Default ALERT! INCOMING ARMADA!

Recon photo of enemy aircraft approaching Phoenix, estimated arrival Friday 1 February at 1800 hrs! Home defense scramble to Imperial Outpost Games to intercept! Clipper calling all aces report in!

Awesome Zeppelin. Is that from a kit you built?

yeah, I know a guy with zeppelin elves . . .

his house is infested . . .

What a beast that L42 is. It looks just like a Killer Whale.
    Rob.

That's a seriously impressive Zep Clipper

I grew up as a Led Zeppelin fan. Now you are making me a WWI Zeppelin fan. The L42 is beautiful.

How was your first experience making a Zeppelin?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What a beast that L42 is. It looks just like a Killer Whale.
    Rob.
    We should call it Shamu!

Shamu is Amazing! And the elves table is utterly AWESOME!!

Clipper is da Zepp!

Is that camo pattern a common one for Zepps?

Really cool.
    Last edited by Big Blake; 01-30-2013 at 07:04. Reason: spelling

The zeppelin journey started here on the site a few years ago for me. The first build was a balsa and tissue paper pair one German L-11 and the British R-23. I chose a smaller scale 1/215 so they would fit our game tables and unlike the Oberst, I chose to make mine flyable. They took a month to build and looked quite cool. After patching holes one night I started looking for a better structure that could be handled in game play. The second build was of 12 with my secret foam forming machine.

The hulls took 10 minutes each to make and were quite rugged. It took two weeks of madness to finish the first 12 and they literally flew off the bench.

The third build was Type Rs, Super Zeppelins, and Height Climbers-bigger and badder boys!

12 were finished in respective color schemes, tan, camo, and the devious black/white colors.

24 hulls remain in my garage ready to paint and detail, 10 Type P and 14 later models. When the bottom dropped out of the game and minis became nearly extinct I shelved the zeps and started the blimps and drachen builds. Now my garage is full and the new North Sea Blimps with triple hulls are on the bench.

Who knows what will drift in tomorrow? The Zeppelin project has brought me many hours of fun and therapy and mostly a large group of like hearted and close friends around the world. I enjoyed sending the first Zeppelins to Germany last year since the Big War, as well as several to England without a shot being fired. Some have drifted to far off exotic lands and when they call home they tell of wondrous adventures and tales of bravery. So epic adventures begin and never end . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post
    Is that camo pattern a common one for Zepps?
    Black on the bottom, reflective on the top (to avoid overheating in the sun) - yes, for the high-flyers.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Some have drifted to far off exotic lands and when they call home they tell of wondrous adventures and tales of bravery. So epic adventures begin and never end . . .
    If you have an business cards, there was considerable interest in purchasing some down here...

Awesome, as always. One of these days I'm going to have to buy one for our gaming group.

Awesome story and awesome pictures. Thanks.

We got two, maybe three new victims-I mean recruits last night at the game store, its really great to show, play and have minis and games on the shelf to send them home with!

Now if we can just get the old crew dogs to show up and give the newbies someone to shoot at . . .

Time_Lapse, Hunter and I had a lot of fun and answered a lot of questions and got two games in as well! These after midnight sessions are not for us old guys!

Any chance of where the game map came from, home built or bought...love the trench lines and no mans land.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Any chance of where the game map came from, home built or bought...love the trench lines and no mans land.
    I'll second that inquiry.

awesome everything and I to was going to ask about the game mat

The mat was made from photo of France I am told, the artist photo shopped in the trenches and no mans land over the modern bits and produced an amazing mat for one of our events out here. It and a sister over water mat have been given to our group for our events. Both are printed on heavy vinyl sign banner material and measure 4' x 6' - as keeper of the sacred mats I am not at liberty to reveal much else, other than they are cool and we love them. Maybe in time I can convince the great mat powers to open the heavens and shower us with their matty goodness, until then the wonderful diversity of each group's efforts makes the game more unique in situ and promotes the fun and creativity we all hide (from) . . . yeah that's it. Clipper slipping back into obscurity (one of my fave places)

Once again Clipper,ya did it again.

Very good to see you enjoying a game and taking a bit of time out for yourself David.
    For the benefit of the new pilots, would you just remind us all how long those Zepps of yours are.
    Rob.

Ah well, back to the drawing board......

Similar Missions

1. National: Scramble Alert - Illinois / Wisconsin Squadrons
    By crashx in forum US Wing
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 08:11
  2. Incoming weather; tie the planes down
    By Jager in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 18:44
  3. Spam Alert--My address book Hacked!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5