Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official Lockheed P-38 Lightning Painting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I see some soon to be fried meatballs
    Karl
    Last edited by flash; 07-09-2016 at 23:21. Reason: spurious pics
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Now there is a happy flight of Lightnings.
    Last edited by flash; 07-09-2016 at 23:21. Reason: spurious pics

Some inspiration there for my lone P-38 for the Pacific Peter, cheers. Great paint jobs by everyone.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Some inspiration there for my lone P-38 for the Pacific Peter, cheers. Great paint jobs by everyone.
    I have 6 Oscars to finish up, then on to 4 more P-38s. After Cold Wars early November I'll be getting back to the Pacific campaign.

I've gone and restarted in 1938, going to progress through and play all the PTO missions again.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I have 6 Oscars to finish up, then on to 4 more P-38s. After Cold Wars early November I'll be getting back to the Pacific campaign.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I was thinking of starting in the Philippines, not quite as far back as you. I do have a nice book on the air war over Khalkin Gol, (book review 'HERE') hmmmm....maybe you will draw me into early China.

And speaking of the CBI theater, I'd love to play in a big game/campaign game on the Flying Tigers...how about it all those creative minds out there ???
    B.

Great Job!! those are a all very nice!!! That might be my next plane!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    And speaking of the CBI theater, I'd love to play in a big game/campaign game on the Flying Tigers...how about it all those creative minds out there ???
    B.
    Ok Bill, you got me interested. Just got a few books on the theater and some new planes to paint.....Maybe by Havoc or HUZZAH! I'll be ready.

Love the P-38. Ares... please supply the hook-up. We need der Gabelschwanz-Teufel. Please.

Finally got around to updating the cards for these.

OldGuy59's WWII American Heavy Fighters Album

They should now be up-to-date with the Unofficial Stats Committee files.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Pacific. 8th Fighter Group? I can't remember if these are 35th or 36th squadron. I'll have that info edited in tomorrow.
    Peter,
    I can't find any images of 8th Sqn P-38s, nor any p-38s with the markings you have on your awesome planes.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Peter,
    I can't find any images of 8th Sqn P-38s, nor any p-38s with the markings you have on your awesome planes.
    I got these from one of my Battle Colors books, unfortunately not with me at the moment. (see book reviews) From the top down they are close enough to what you have already done. But, my next set of four will have a slightly different scheme from a different unit. Those I will try to get pilot names for.

Ok Mike, from Battle Colors Vol V, my P-38 with the yellow spinners is from 8th Fighter Squadron, the red tipped one is from a later date of the 9th squadron. As with all attempts for correlation, I have 3 books all showing different schemes. Numbers are just what I had for decals. I wanted them done for a game so didn't dig deep to find historical numbers from the squadrons.

To go with my corsairs ( I' ve got only five and I've 8 pilots in my campaign) . There's one épisode in Baa Baa black sheep ( Tętes brulées in French) where there's 2 P38.

This is a P-38 Angiolillo painted as the captured one flown by Col. Tondi:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post525909
    Attachment 284534
    Last edited by Diamondback; 04-02-2020 at 15:02.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    To go with my corsairs ( I' ve got only five and I've 8 pilots in my campaign) . There's one épisode in Baa Baa black sheep ( Tętes brulées in French) where there's 2 P38.

Very very nice Fox. Great lightnings!

Its amazing what the small difference in scale lets you do easier. After painting some 1/200 WW2 and then going to 1/144 WWI, the feel is so different.

Thank you
    You're right ,bigger is easier . I never did 1/200 but I suppose It must be more difficult.

rep guns jammed. AWESOME!!!

P38 J 1/144
    18th FG, 5th AF, USAAF
    San Jose, Mindoro, Philippines.
    (osprey aircam avion series n°10)

Those Look Really Good!! Great Job!!

I have been advised that my P-38 cards are not the right size. For any official base size. Darn!

I will be redoing them, shortly.

This is the first one, with a new template:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P-38_475th-FG-MacDonald_Med_2023.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	326469
    Mike

The .of the unofficial stats has the P-38 on a fighter base. Did I miss when it went to a HF base?

The .of the unofficial stats has the P-38 on a fighter base. Did I miss when it went to a HF base?
    I haven't gotten there yet; yes, Andrea's opinion trumps mine, so the P-38 has a HF base.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Official DH.2 Painting Thread
    By jbmacek in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:14
  2. Official FE2 painting thread
    By Guntruck in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 06:42
  3. Official DFW C.V Painting Thread
    By Fat Wally in forum Painting Showcase