Ares Games

View Poll Results: Would you buy easy to assemble 1/144 plastic kits compatible with WoG?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

117 67.24%
  • Perhaps

43 24.71%
  • No

14 8.05%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/144 plastic kits

If you were intending to release some SE5s? A rousing "YES!" Can't get enough SE5s.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Sound great. 3-5 planes a box would be OK. Would decals be included and a painting example(s) will help.

Think the idea is very desirable to many, both sides of the pond. Between that wrinkle and the other spots of baggage (decals, assembly&color scheme guides, plane bases) seems like a few miles to cover before getting this idea to the tarmac. Still seems worth the effort to pursue.

D
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnFlyer View Post
    Worst comes to worse, if the builds didn't work out I'd have some amazing looking wreckage to put on my new game mats !LOL!
    I love the wreckage part! Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by freebird-52 View Post

Worst comes to worse, if the builds didn't work out I'd have some amazing looking wreckage to put on my new game mats !LOL!
    I love the wreckage part! Lol...
    There's something to consider! With all the Boom cards I draw, I will need lots of wreckage models, too.

Mike

Personally I really like the Ares mini's. The out of the box and play right away is very appealing as I'm not much of a modeller. But I suppose if the price was right and the availability in Canada of build your own was easy, I'd give it a go of building a squadron or two. Worst comes to worse, if the builds didn't work out I'd have some amazing looking wreckage to put on my new game mats !LOL!
    I like the idea. But, I would rather get the models prepainted. I am not very good at painting and would not want to butcher the models.

Trust me, having in mind scale and fair availability of decals, it wouldn't be much of a problem for you.

Of course, it's easier with pre-painted models (you get your whole army straight from the box ), but the other way gives greater choice of minis.

T would be interested in them maybe in BATCH ORDERS, 4 diff ones each month, as long as the $8 / $12 each and thats only because UNCLE SAM lots me a small amount each month.
    in other words ON A FIXED INCOME, and planes would be my once a month TREAT. so i do without the BEER, it might just be better for me, and thats my story and i am sticking to it!

Why 5? I'd personally prefer even batches of 3, 4 or 6 myself (six being a typical flight IIRC, three being the batches Nexus/Ares has tried for so as to simplify storage arrangements.

My absolute preference would be pre-camo'ed, so all you need to do is add individual national, squadron or personal markings... but even just decal lozenge sheets would help.

Agreed.

The biggest advantage would be the finish. Shapeways models are a bit time consuming getting the finish smooth.

Deffinte No here. I got into WoG because you can take the models straight out of the box and game with them!

This idea seems sound, and leaves individuals many options open. I like the idea of different gun choices in the kit as it opens up more possibilities. However as much as I like the DR1's CAmels etc it would be nice to see that niche in the market of the aircraft that aren't available, or if they are they are too expensive (metal), covered too. A few aircraft have been mentioned but there are many others that could be included. Time, sales and price being the driving force for diversity.

Any new planes would be great. Doesn't have to be a box of five... three seem about right for me.

I like the Ares minis but will happily get any new planes not yet covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I like the Ares minis but will happily get any new planes not yet covered.
    I think that the drawback with waiting for Ares is the same as any line of Wargaming models, you will get them eventually but it will take years to get them all out Peter.
    Meantime Shapeways, Vallom, Red Eagle, Aim and the rest fill in the gap.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob, I totally agree. Time for this flyboy to look into Shapeways.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    One of the things that got me, and the guys in my group, hooked on this game was the idea of pre-assembled and pre-painted minis. As much as I like the idea of plane kits, I am not a modeler, so the price is going to have to look really good for me to buy into the idea.
    Likewise!

JDD

I'd also be very interested in a line of 1/144th WWI kits. Including decals would be a definite plus, although it might also be possible to do something like the WW2 kits that are pre-painted and pre-decaled on the sprue: all you do with those is clip off the parts and assemble the model.

Years ago (mid-'70s) there was a Japanese company making a small line of WWI aircraft in 1/144th called (IIRC) "Peanut Planes" (for their small size, not the comic. ) They were nice little models, but my gaming group was flying the Triplane rules using 1/72nd kits at the time so I only picked up one of the little ones. I'm sure they're long out of production and probably collectors' items by now, but if any of those could be found it might help fill the bill.

for the more obscure types that i dont think ares will produce, yes most certainly!

My vote is YES and I already do, Shapeways and Valom for starters

Although the "Easy to assemble" is a bit subjective as some may find even the shapeways models not so easy to assemble. (Trust me I've had one or two exploded between fingers )

Jeremyb1984

So I am guessing this is still a "Hypothetical" and not a "Practical"?

I only ask after having spent the weekend putting together my first Valom SE5a and finding not only the struts a pain in the ass, but the metal etched lewis a little over-etched... disappointing

C'mon Timmy, make this dream a reality!!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

I'm not going to progress with this project any further.

The Valom kits are primarily for modellers not war gamers.

ARES are gathering their strength although I still think they are few years off where they want to be. I think it's increasingly likely though that they will eventually get there.

Having just assembled my first Valom Pup, after putting it aside for some months, owing to my inability to make the undercart fit. I agree with Jeremy on this, although I have yet to paint and put the model through the rigours of gaming.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Tim the SE5a was a pain but having built a few of them now I think they are perfectly good for gaming I used a .3 drill to make holes for the struts that made the whole assembly much easier and sturdier.

The Albatross and Focker are much better builds and a lot less fiddly

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Tim the SE5a was a pain but having built a few of them now I think they are perfectly good for gaming I used a .3 drill to make holes for the struts that made the whole assembly much easier and sturdier.

The Albatross and Focker are much better builds and a lot less fiddly
    Thanks for the advice. This is very helpful for those of us who are not experienced model makers and I will follow it when I attempt the build.

Should I replace the pe struts with .3mm wire? Is so, what is the best type of wire to replace the struts with?

Jeremyb1984

Good, I am glad it wasn't just me. I used a scalpel blade to the same effect, and that, with liberal amounts of super glue, held things in place quite well.

I think the trick is the Matte Gloss, takes the shine off the dried glue and the attention away from my modelling shortfalls!

Do you think Ares will ever release naked models?

I would happily pay the $ for a naked or base-coated model that came with flight-stand and manouvre deck... pity Goering didnt fly a SE5a i suppose!

I had a bear of a time putting together a pair of Sopwith Pups. I replaced the supplied struts with wire. Even then it was not easy. Of course the special one I painted for my wife I dropped! Tried several times to get it back together before success. I painted her a new Pup from Shapeways. At least whey you drop a WSF they bounce!

Maybe it's time for a 'How to'; Make Valom kits easier to assemble for gamers ?????

Or maybe we could have our esteemed Oberst design a laser-cut jig to hold the struts in position on the lower wing, then remove it once the glue's dry before installing the upper?

Jeremyb1984

Still a tad weak either way. The WOG stuff is just so impressively tough, sometimes I struggle to get them apart for repaints!

I had a bear of a time putting together a pair of Sopwith Pups. I replaced the supplied struts with wire. Even then it was not easy. Of course the special one I painted for my wife I dropped! Tried several times to get it back together before success. I painted her a new Pup from Shapeways. At least whey you drop a WSF they bounce!
    I'm sorry to hear the Valom kits are so fragile as I've just ordered them. Robustness is critical.

Could the pe brass struts be OK if they were made thicker by very thin strips of plasticard glued to the outside edge? Then the wings would have more surface area to be glued to. It would not look as nice but it might make them more robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Or maybe we could have our esteemed Oberst design a laser-cut jig to hold the struts in position on the lower wing, then remove it once the glue's dry before installing the upper?
    My solution is to buy a Shapeways Pup, then cut two wing-jigs out of card, with slots at the correct stagger, to fit around the wings, beyond the interplane struts.
    When I finally get around to starting my Valom Pups, I will post to show how I got on (success OR failure!)

At least whey you drop a WSF they bounce!
    I dropped a completed Valom DVII, and it bounced (a bit!) but stayed together.
    The DVIIs have the advantage of extra struts, and the 'N' strut in the interplane position is a real boon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola Zee View Post
    I'm sorry to hear the Valom kits are so fragile as I've just ordered them. Robustness is critical.

Could the pe brass struts be OK if they were made thicker by very thin strips of plasticard glued to the outside edge? Then the wings would have more surface area to be glued to. It would not look as nice but it might make them more robust.
    I don't think this would help - unless you also drilled out the locating holes to a bigger size to receive the thicker struts. This introduces the danger of drilling right through the wing (been there!) and of installing a strut thicker than the Ares ones (if that's possible!).

The PE struts themselves are not weak at all - it is just the join which is critical.

On the DVII, the interplane 'N' struts sit nicely in the holes on the wings, and when glued in place with Araldite are strong enough to support the top wing on their own, without any other struts (also at the correct stagger, which helps a lot!).
    The flat cross section of the cabane struts makes them ideal for placing in contact with the fuselage sides - a round-section strut would stand proud, and require filing flat at the end to achieve a similar "fit"; since I use cut-down paper clips to replace weak struts on Reviresco kits, filing these flat would be VERY time consuming!

The Entente scouts don't have the 'N' strut arrangement, so would be more difficult in this regard, but the strut-to-wing join remains the same.
    For strength, I find that Araldite glue works MUCH better than superglue, but is less forgiving of mistaken strut alignment.
    Superglue will work (especially superglue Gel - much less runny to work with) if backed up by a couple of layers of paint, a layer of hard gloss varnish, and at least one top coat of matt, preferably two. After applying all these layers, you will find that the joint is really pretty strong, and that the flat-section strut has taken on a very pleasing rounded cross-section!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I just ordered the DVII, Albatros DV, and the Nieuport 17 from Valom; they should be here mid-week. Really looking forward to seeing how they are and using the extra decals on WoG planes...

I'm sorry to hear about the "fiddly" nature of some of them - I'll have to report back my experience with them as I start putting them together next weekend. I love the idea of branching out with other pilots/color schemes - I've already repainted 3 WoG planes to get some variety in my growing collection, and THAT'S been a lot of fun, too!

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Fuse wire for Pup Struts. Don't bother with the etched pap

I must say, the valom decals are quite impressive. The wing details could be better/more accurate.
    Mine turned out just fine.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Nice to know, Hayden. I'm pretty comfortable with modeling techniques, so I imagine I'll be able to conquer the Valom vagaries...

I really love the idea of two planes and four decal sets...and I plan to pick up the others in the series - I think the SE5s and Sopwith Pups will be lovely additions, especially since SE5s are so hard to find.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I just realized as I backpaged that I hadn't voted for the original poll question...

I am definitely in favor of kits - and it would be wonderful if Ares put out "blank" planes which we could customize to our hearts' content - I'm happy painting details and pilot insignia on planes, although I must admit the national insignia would be better as actual decals - painting circles (especially) is somewhat tasking...

But I have a Goering DVII that I am looking at painting like one of the planes in one of the Leach Corp prints of Barker diving into the flock of DVIIs, and painting around existing national insignia is not too hard.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

I have a hard time with metal kits and also the so Valom kits would be not worth my meager effort. Shapeways has gotten better and will hopefully see the results with my next order. I can take apart and reassemble WOG models easily and would buy them if available and usually buy WOG models when available for the aircraft they produce. I got impatient with N17s for Bloody April so I ordered 6 from shapeways.

I do not foresee WOG changing to please a few. So perhaps a new company or an old company getting into 1/144 WW1.

Shame this isn't moving forward.
    Valom kits are too fiddly for me, even though I love putting models together.
    Shapeways WSF is a pain to prep, but bearable.
    Something in the middle would be ideal, ala Plastic Soldier Company with their 1/100 tanks.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Sorry but it is a No from me even if I was a full-time WGF player. It would also still be a No as a full-time WGS player because one of the things I prefer about the Ares / Nexus for both games is that they come pre-painted and with all the kit that is required to play. But having said that I am now considering the following:

It could be that came into Wings of Glory from 10 years of building plastic aircraft construction kits since my interest in the World Wars began in 2003. By the time I discovered the game my interest was desperately in need of a change in direction from 1/72 & 1/144 scale kits coupled with PC gaming all the time - this was becoming antisocial and I'm sorry to say boring Wings of Glory has proven to be that change of direction - no more programme crashes mid-dogfight / Airfix kits which refuse to build without copious amounts of filler / filing. Plus a game which the Lady Wife enjoys playing too. I am also aware of a growing medical problem in my hands and wrists which would prevent me from assembling a plastic model kit nowadays whenever this flares up.

Shapeways WSF planes are better now than they were - they still need quite a bit of preparation, but they are a good bet for expanding your air wings.
    Particularly for British biplanes - much easier paint job than most French/German/American WW1 planes.

I think I'm fast becoming the owner of as many Shapeways/Valom as I am Ares/Nexus planes. (Having just taken advantage of the free postage and 10% off (WSF orders only)this weekend.
    See you on the Dark Side......

You as well Neil .I didn't bother to put up a post re Shapeways as I figure everyone is on their mail list anyway.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well that's the last spending for me for a long time. I have over 50 aircraft to finish, some 12 ships 3 Yeti's and a winged Demon to finish!
    See you on the Dark Side......

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

That sounds like quite a scenario....

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Well that's the last spending for me for a long time. I have over 50 aircraft to finish, some 12 ships 3 Yeti's and a winged Demon to finish!
    Yeh, I passed on this sale too; about 80 Shapeways waiting
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    That sounds like quite a scenario....

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ground Crew Bysshe
    Sorties Flown

i did buy a F86 just for the ''why not'' thought. nice model, easy paint b job decals supplied ( no pilots tho, but one of my odd 6mm figs was soon chopped to fit ;-)

A good selling point for Ares is ''no need to paint''

to be honest there are plenty of colour schemes online, I enjoy painting even if my standard is poor, but there seems to me a lack of decals other than roundels etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. WW1: Lead, Paper or Plastic?
    By Blackronin in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 10:39
  2. 1/144 Fokker Dr I plastic kits
    By Albert Ross in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 08:09
  3. Plastic for bases
    By Jager in forum Hobby Room