Ares Games

Thread: New to this, have my Starter kit in the mail!

Default New to this, have my Starter kit in the mail!

So I'll have 4 planes coming my way and I was thinking of ordering some more. I saw some WoW Spitfires (not the paintjob I want, but oh well!), but I have no idea if they're balanced okay against Zeros or Stukas (but Stuka's a 2 seater right?). So I guess my real question is how do Spits fair against the Zeros in this game?

WoW Spitfire: Maneuver Deck A, 17 Health, B B Short range, B Long range.

WoW Zero: Maneuver Deck C, 16 Health, A C C Short range, C Long range.

What exactly does that mean to me? Will they be balanced enough?

Or should I just enjoy the 4 I have first and check out the new ones as they come since Spits and 109's will eventually come out again for WoG?

Oh and HI I'M NEW.

Also, how does one get a lovely plane under his/her name?
    Last edited by Hasenpflug; 01-23-2013 at 23:21.

Welcome to the Forum, Blair.

I would not have the fun of my life confronting Zeros and Spits Mk I/II, for it's rather not historical duel, but the game is all about fun, so no problem.
    The planes are different as far as maneuver decks and damage abilities are concerned; you must try it by yourself to see the differences.
    There is no balance in a real air duel, it's not a game of chess. Take a plane you want, check your six and try to shoot down your enemy.

Blair, they are fairly balanced against each other. I would say the more experienced pilot fly the Zero as the Spit might have a slight edge with its maneuver deck and the extra health point. You will find that experience really pays off in this game.

Thomas

Welcome aboard Blair!
    Don't worry for the balance - these two planes are true fighters from the same era so it doesn't matter for the balance aspect.
    However it does matter to historical correctness and this can bother you the most...
    You will check out how enjoyable this game can be for you and your friends - and believe me in a while you won't have this problem. Your WoW/WoG collection will just be growing in unexpected way...

Welcome to the drome, Blair! I am very interested in the questions you ask and even have posted a thread about it. You can find it here. According to my calculations, which admittedly have all sorts of potential problems, the Spitfire's maneuver advantage outweighs the Zero's superior firepower. The thread also contains links t data sheets I have compiled on the maneuver decks I own (I am "that guy" who is interesting in that type of thing). I have linked them below for your convenience.

Maneuver Deck Data

Maneuver Deck Attribute Values

Howdy from Kansas, Blair. Its good to have you with us!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Spitfires vs Zeros aren't very historical, but it may be nice to have a 3v3 going. And yeah I'm not sure if Spitfire MkI/II's faced any Zeros, but there were Spits who fought Zeros in at least Darwin and Burma.

Having said that I may just wait to see how much the Starter Kit gets played before diving in completely. Thanks for the input everyone!

Welcome to the room Blair. Just have fun when you play the game. That is what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasenpflug View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Spitfires vs Zeros aren't very historical, but it may be nice to have a 3v3 going. And yeah I'm not sure if Spitfire MkI/II's faced any Zeros, but there were Spits who fought Zeros in at least Darwin and Burma.
    Best I can tell: The earliest Spitfire mark to make it the Far East was the Mk.V.

Blair

Welcome to the Aerodrome. The Spitfire and Zero match up is one i have never tried. Give them a try and let us know your results. Having fun is the name of the game. Every game i have played was fun!

Enjoy

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

I personally would get a couple of P-40s to fight the A6Ms. Not only is this a very historical match up but each plane needs it's own tactics to outfight the other. The Zero is a great teacher of firepower and maneuvering while the P-40 is all about speed and health. The Spitfire is barely more then a fast Zero (same turn radius in game and only one health point greater and that crazy side slip). If you want a really fun and interesting game always invest in a very different enemy. Or think about how many air-forces train with dissimilar air combat training.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Oh and welcome to the forums!!!

Welocme from a French Guy in Portugal !

Similar Missions

1. Starter Box Set for WGS
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 23:21
  2. First play with the new WoG Starter Set