Ares Games

Thread: WW1 pdf's ??

Default WW1 pdf's ??

Hey All, I'm training 2 new pilots for our flight group here in Calgary. I loaned my original rulebook to a friend and they've vanished.

Did there not used to be a free download for the core rule book??
    I can't seem to find it online anywhere...Colonel??

-Von

the original onewith all the add ons in the game aids section in the ww1 file section

Well, unless I have missed something, there is no PDF of WoG rules, only old WoW rules, which are no longer valid, since the rules have changed between WoW and WoG.

Ah threw me with you saying the original rule book ,sorry not seen the WOG rule book on here

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    Ah threw me with you saying the original rule book ,sorry not seen the WOG rule book on here

I was looking for the original WoW pdf. It wasn't till today that I learned that the rules have evolved.
    At least it will give me something to refer to. I really don't want to buy another starter set for WoG.

Thanks guys, It's good to be back.

-Roger

try the old nexus wings of war site on yahoo....they still have oodles of downloads. It will keep you going for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    try the old nexus wings of war site on yahoo....they still have oodles of downloads. It will keep you going for a bit.
    aain they will all be the original WOW stuff Rogers after the new updated WOG rule book ?

Hey guys, I'm just gonna go buy the new rules. I did find the pdf on Yahoo Groups. It was posted there in 2004.
    I've also learned that some of the planes use different decks now? Fokker EIII for example.

Sentry Box here I come.
    Talk Soon -Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Von Schlepp View Post
    Hey guys, I'm just gonna go buy the new rules. I did find the pdf on Yahoo Groups. It was posted there in 2004.
    I've also learned that some of the planes use different decks now? Fokker EIII for example.

Sentry Box here I come.
    Talk Soon -Roger
    The Rules and Accessories Pack is definitely a worthy buy and will give you one complete and up-to-date set of rules with all damage decks and other stuff you may need.

Nevertheless, as far as I remember, all the old WOW PDF rules are available for download in the Files section on this site.

Since WGS rules are available for download on the Ares website for free, we can only hope they make the WGF rules available too. *makes puppy eyes at Ares*

Yes, currently in our Files section there is only the old Wings of War version of the rules in PDF. I'll be adding the new Wings of Glory WWII rules tonight as well. I'm not sure if we are going to see the WGF rules as a free PDF or not.

Ares just put a PDF of the Duel Pack rules on their website. It is just the basic and standard rules for single seat fighters, plus the two optional rules of aim and tailing, and a few scenarios with simple bombing, trench, and AAA rules.
    http://www.aresgames.eu/7090
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 01-23-2013 at 20:52.

Hey Paul, Thanks for the info. One of the trainees is an eager 10 y/o and he's really interested in the game.

-Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    Well, unless I have missed something, there is no PDF of WoG rules, only old WoW rules, which are no longer valid, since the rules have changed between WoW and WoG.
    OYG - those rules are no longer valid ?!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    OYG - those rules are no longer valid ?!
    Well, if you learn the old WOW rules and meet a player who plays by the current WOG rules, there may be some situations when both sides will use a different rule for those and conflicts may arise.

When you set up the game, it is the obligation of the host of the scenario or game to announce the rules, house rules and special scenario rules. That will override anything else. In other words, as long as everyone is on the same page, there should be no problem. Otoh, there will always be that certain particular type of player who will cause problems irregardless of rules or game.

Well, if you learn the old WOW rules and meet a player who plays by the current WOG rules, there may be some situations when both sides will use a different rule for those and conflicts may arise.

Ok ok, I downloaded the duel pack pdf. they're current. At least i'll have something to refer to for the moment.
    Payday i'll buy the new boxset.

-Roger

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    When you set up the game, it is the obligation of the host of the scenario or game to announce the rules, house rules and special scenario rules. That will override anything else. In other words, as long as everyone is on the same page, there should be no problem. Otoh, there will always be that certain particular type of player who will cause problems irregardless of rules or game.
    Indeed. However, let me use an analogy from Warhammer 40.000. The 5th edition rules are no longer valid, the current rules are 6th edition. Some rules have changed, the principle is the same. Sure, someone may set up a game with the old rules, nevertheless, nobody should expect a 5th edition rules tournament or game now. The 5th edition rules are simply invalid now.

And yes, there are certain players who would cause grief and rows no matter whichever unfortunate game system they happen to fall upon. Such players should be dreadsocked on sight.

Then throwing a coin, or discussing differences before the game would settle the matter.

And yes, there are certain players who would cause grief and rows no matter whichever unfortunate game system they happen to fall upon. Such players should be dreadsocked on sight.
    Dreadsocked - Is that where you put an old school CSM dreadnought ('eavy metal with all the spikey bits) and put it in a sock to make a flail? If not, it should be. That is what those player types deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalazarus View Post
    Dreadsocked - Is that where you put an old school CSM dreadnought ('eavy metal with all the spikey bits) and put it in a sock to make a flail? If not, it should be. That is what those player types deserve.
    Well, old school loyalist Dreadnoughts used to be made of metal too. Nevertheless, I admit that spiky Chaos Dreads were even better suited for a dreadsock.

Oh yeah, the spikes. I have one of those - The oldschool Dark ANgels specific Metal Dread (only came with ML and TlLC).

Back on topic, though. Do you find there are generally more or less of the 'maladjusted' players playing WoG than other games? I am curious as I am just starting and have definitely played with my fair share of 'those' guys in 40K (but mostly played with good sports).

I am a very social gamer, so I am trying to figure it out as I know that some of the extra deep military games tend to draw the silent, quants.

I have yet to meet anyone I would refuse to play against again, but I know of some people here who refuse to fly anything else than a Fokker D.VII or a Sopwith Snipe, while claiming that all planes are equal. These are usually the same fellows who sell their WH40k armies to buy the newest cheesiest army there is to buy as soon as this new army hits the market.

Most of the guys and gals who I have had the pleasure of playing WOG with have been great and sporty opponents. We had usually had no problems setting the rules before the game started. I prefer playing against reasonable people who play to have fun, not to win at all costs.

Agreed Jan.

Yep, met those, played those. Don't want to expand the game, play advanced rules or anything that balances the odds against the 'super plane'. Just keep it simple and within their domination. However, they don't seem to last long when they are un-supported and left to take on multiple opponents.

I know of some people here who refuse to fly anything else than a Fokker D.VII or a Sopwith Snipe, while claiming that all planes are equal.
    They're not the worst though. The worst are those who won't play with either, as they are not "Official Wings Of Glory Aircraft". They're Wings of War, and so "no longer valid".

I blame GW for this pernicious attitude.

Those who don't want to play against the Official Unofficial Arcraft such as the Halberstadt Cl.II I can understand.

As for those who only play with Snipes or D.VIIs- while a 1-gun N17 would be outmatched, a DH2 even more so, it's not a guaranteed victory. An SE5a is arguably as good, a Camel or Dr.I likewise. Personally, I'd take a Brisfit with B/A armament, the standard late war fit. A Gotha if they truly believe all aircraft are the same, a 5-gun Zeppelin-Straaken if I want to ram the lesson home.

At Cancon, a free-for-all involving a Sopwith Dolphin (N deck), a 2-gun N17, a 2-gun Spad VII, a DR.I and a Camel ended up with the Camel winning. Another between a Dr.I, an Oeffag 153 (D.Va equivalent), and a Dolphin saw the 153 victorious.

I'd bet on a pilot who knows the strengths and weaknesses of his aircraft, no matter what it is, vs a novice in a SuperPlane any day. Such a veteran pilot may well perform better with an inferior aircraft he's played with a lot than piloting a more capable aircraft he's not used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    I'd bet on a pilot who knows the strengths and weaknesses of his aircraft, no matter what it is, vs a novice in a SuperPlane any day. Such a veteran pilot may well perform better with an inferior aircraft he's played with a lot than piloting a more capable aircraft he's not used to.
    As I understand it, that's the way it tended to work... at least, according to Chuck Yeager; "It's not the plane - it's the pilot."

I've not actually ran into anyone playing this game that will only play with "super Planes". Maybe that's because I'm always the GM so to speak and set everything up before hand.

I can tell you that CappyTom won last years Wings of Glory Aerodrome Invitational tourney at Origins with a N17... against 6-8 EA that included Fokker D.VIIs.

We always play aircraft that were contemporaries. The Unofficial Aircraft lists on this site give a pretty good idea of the times at which aircraft were in front-line service - as opposed to being in the training role, so could plausibly have fought one another.

The chaotic East around 1920 is another matter though. A Spad A2 (in Red service) vs a Fokker D.VII (in lithuanian service) is not unreasonable. Pretty much anything goes. I've not found DH2s or Fokker Eindeckers - but Albatros C.Is and D.IIs, yes. Morane Ls and Ns. Snipes and SE5as.

Personally, I hate flying the Se5a... it's a chore. Give me a Camel, Airco DH.2 or a De Havilland DH.4 any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by HTRAINo View Post
    ...Give me a Camel, Airco DH.2 or a De Havilland DH.4 any day of the week.
    Love the Camel. One of my favorite crates to fly. Although... I am taking a shine to my new E.IIIs...

What is it about the Se5a that you consider a chore?

Personally, I hate flying the Se5a... it's a chore. Give me a Camel, Airco DH.2 or a De Havilland DH.4 any day of the week.

I would think it's all the Steep maneuvers. You can't just fly it, you have to really think about what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I would think it's all the Steep maneuvers. You can't just fly it, you have to really think about what you want to do.
    You read my mind! It has a steep for a right turn, and it's not 'all that' good. It's a fast one, but you pay the price a little on maneuvers... and after one or two drinks, those steep cards can catch you by surprise.

You read my mind! It has a steep for a right turn, and it's not 'all that' good. It's a fast one, but you pay the price a little on maneuvers... and after one or two drinks, those steep cards can catch you by surprise.
    I think that's why Kyte prefers his Camel.
    Rob.

Smile

Oh I love my SE's. Took me a while to get my head around how to fly it. The answer is use its speed & do not try to outmanouver Dr.I's. However its sideslip can catch the enemy out if you only use it occasionally.
    I do agree the Camel is very user friendly & gets a lot of use when the Hearts of Oak Flight takes to the Skies!

I also like flying the DH-2, Gunbus & FE2b for early war scenarios.

I love the SE 5a, that side slip has got me out of more than one potential bad spot.I have to remind myself to try to stay on the left side of those pesky DR Is

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I do agree the Camel is very user friendly .
    As long as you don't spin into the ground

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Oh I love my SE's. Took me a while to get my head around how to fly it. The answer is use its speed & do not try to outmanouver Dr.I's. However its sideslip can catch the enemy out if you only use it occasionally.
    I do agree the Camel is very user friendly & gets a lot of use when the Hearts of Oak Flight takes to the Skies!
    Interesting how the game is opposite of the historical?
    Karl