20 17.54%
  • other make I.E Aerodrome accessories

9 7.89%
  • home made

19 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consoles

Default Consoles

Personally I am not keen on the consoles that come with Wings of Glory and prefer the older type with Wings of War ,I do eventually plan to buy some from the areoderome shop,what do you prefer to use .

I prefer the older ones. That said there's no real need to use a console anyway. We usually just use a handy clear spot on the margins of the table.

I have a lot of WoW consoles and prefer to use those, the new WoG consoles seem to be a bit flimsy.

I use a home made card version and marker pen. However I'm in the process of making a more durable one.

I also prefer the old WoW version of the games console , but I'm thinking of making my own version of the games console.

I do prefer the old ones as they make it easy to "pick up and move around" if you have to. Not a huge deal though. I do lile the looks of the Aerodrome ones, so I may invest or make something smiliar (just because I like making stuff )

Thumbs up

I have both Keith's Deluxe Cockpit which is just the best & a couple of the cheaper Rotary Cockpits which are also good.

I prefer the old WoW Card ones to the new WoG but then I have never used the new ones so should not comment on them.

I use the AA Deluxe console

I use the WOW consoles...because I've got a lot of them and didn't get the WOG (yet)...

I use WOW mostly when I need to travel. At home I use AA deluxe.

I use my plastic Consoles made by the Oberst at home, but take my Wings of War ones when I go away.
    I have never used the Wings of Glory ones although I have two sets.
    Rob.

I only have the old WoW consoles. But produced a paper, laminated, one with marker pen that included ammo, fuel and pilot wounds. Height was managed by a plastic page marker with 1,000 feet on one side,100,s feet on the other. Climb rates were from historical data with dive rates both ideas from VRW boardgame.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    I use WOW mostly when I need to travel. At home I use AA deluxe.
    Likewise I prefer the older stuff do not like the new ones they look cheep and nasty.

I would use the new ones, if they were made of thicker grade cardstock, that doesn't flop around.

Like what the tokens/chits are made of would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by HTRAINo View Post
    I would use the new ones, if they were made of thicker grade cardstock, that doesn't flop around.

Like what the tokens/chits are made of would be ok.
    I agree. I know Ares is probably saving money by using the thinner cardstock, but I am not a big fan of the thinner stuff.

I suppose its too late for items already printed.
    But for those who don't have wow cards, you could glue them onto mounting card and cut them out.
    I did post a home made one in a thread called 'next missions'. WGF campaign discussions > over the trenches > next missions.

I'm sure someone could refine it to look the part.
    Last edited by HTRAINo; 01-30-2013 at 16:28.

I prefer the older WoW consoles. However, the AA Deluxe one look very cool. Plan to get some soon.

I use the old WOW consoles. They are more re burst and easier to use.

Mark.

Try this on for size. Right click & save as... it's all yours to do with as you wish. Before colour printing, do a rough copy in b&w to check sizes etc.
    It was meant for scenarios, as a throw away... so whether you 'card-back' it or print to paper is up to you.
    Hopefully, it won't get me into trouble.

WoGdashscenarios.jpg

Oh, and if you like it or found it useful... please click the little green thumb icon, at the bottom of my post and leave a comment.

Rep points coming your way Hayden I like what you've done there mate.

I prefer the originals, and I always cringe when someone says, "oh, I don't need a control board." Why? More than once I've seen +1s accidentally get mixed in with the entire stack of damage.

Nice board, and as you say very useful as a throw away or even as a reminder of your game for the archives.
    Rob.

Thanks Rob. Glad to be of service. If it gets used by one forum member, it was worth my time

seems like the originals are most used! If money were no object I think I would go with the plastic version here on the site. But hard to throw out hundreds of dollars to have enough of them...

Thats a great item Hayden thanks , glad to see I'm not the only one not to like the WOG console.

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    glad to see I'm not the only one not to like the WOG console.
    I do find it telling, & a bit saddening, that out of 28 respondents thus far, not ONE has voted for the WoG consoles. It was a nice gesture of them to include a console. They could have saved a couple of bucks and done without. But I'd really liked to have seen them include a little sturdier, well designed one, than one that it seems that nobody wants.

Maybe the peeps using the WoW consoles don't own the WoG one ?! I don't !!

Well this should at the very least be of use to those at ares no?

I use the old Wings of War consoles because I have ALOT of them - 16 WGF and more than 20 WGS. The new consoles are flimsy but do look OK, I would laminate them before use.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I use the old Wings of War consoles because I have ALOT of them - 16 WGF and more than 20 WGS. The new consoles are flimsy but do look OK, I would laminate them before use.
    Personally, (not having a winge) I took one look at them and thought... no.

I'm going to 'pimp' one up, because I paid for it and I want it to function
    I like the look of them too, they just need modding. Here's how...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...520#post195520
    Last edited by HTRAINo; 02-01-2013 at 04:27.

I prefer the new ones, they take up less space, and the cards can't slip off the board

Bit late to this one, but I can't stand the WOG ones. I've got 8 of them, an luckily I won't need to use them again, as I've just got hold of FA, BD and another copy of WYB.

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    I prefer the new ones, they take up less space, and the cards can't slip off the board
    Unless you're flying a 190, Spitfire IX or P51 - in which case none of the cards fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted_terrain View Post
    Bit late to this one, but I can't stand the WOG ones. I've got 8 of them, an luckily I won't need to use them again, as I've just got hold of FA, BD and another copy of WYB.
    Have you got enough consoles there Si. If not I have a couple spare that you could have.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yeah, I've got about 20 of them laying around if anyone needs them... the old Wings of War ones that is.

The Wings of Glory consoles are my/our standard gaming console at the moment.

I've got two rotary cockpits, but the space on our basement gaming table is rare and spy activity increases too much.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I would love to design a simple console that would double up for WGF/WGS and be cockpit shaped, I have on paper but putting an idea into practice....may take some time.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I use laminated "homemade" consoles which I acquired as part of an ebay joblot of WGF - they are similar to the Wings of War consoles, but being laminated paper they are much lighter in weight, and ideal for carrying to events.

I like the AA Official Wings of Glory Rotary Cockpits. The cockpits are nice as if I need to move around the table some I can just pick up everything at once.

I also like that they can be broken down and reassembled If I ever want to transport my game.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Have you got enough consoles there Si. If not I have a couple spare that you could have.
    Rob.
    Your generosity knows no bounds, on this occasion I'll have to decline.
    Forgot to say I also got FOTG, an they have the half cockpits.

Fine Si.
    I'll hang on to them then.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have used both the WoW and WoG consols and I prefer the WoW ones. As others have said, I consider the WoG ones too flimsy.

Just received my new Advanced Cockpits - I hereby change my vote from "homemade" to these beauties!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Just received my new Advanced Cockpits - I hereby change my vote from "homemade" to these beauties!
    Glad you like it Tim.

Well, seeing that I just got into WoG I will have to admit that I use the "new" ones as I have no others. I do like the consoles available from AA but will have to wait to pick up a couple as right now I would rather buy more planes. This brings me to a question. I have heard that the original WoW games, Famous Aces, Watch your back... have higher quality game aids/parts. Is it worth buying the older games for this purpose? I have seen them listed on EBAY for what seems to be very reasonable prices. What are your thoughts if you don't mind.

I would say that the only better parts would be the consoles.

Thanks Herr Oberst. As my preference is still to buy aircraft, I must admit a weakness to gathering some the older WoW releases also. I find that the maneuver decks would be my prime motivation for doing so. I have been perusing the craft on the shapeways site, and am seriously considering some. I have also made a purchase of two styrene kits(4 craft total) of the Fokker DVII by Valom. My problem is having no idea how to use them in the game, having no maneuver decks for the purpose. My thinking is to get WoW WYB for E,F,G, and H decks, then the "Booster" packs that I can find. I have a "J" deck so would not get Burning Drachens just to get the "I" deck. My plan is flawless, says the guy without a clue!

You can get the decks for the D.VIIs in an old booster. Check the Files system (official releases I think) for a file that list everything that has been released by Nexus or Ares to date and the contents of it.

The 'L' deck for the Fokker DVII is in the "Top Fighters" booster.

Thanks gang. I just ordered up the Crossfire, Dogfight, and Hit and Run decks. Still need to pick up three of the decks(E,G,H) in the WYB expansion. Have about 20 planes coming in the next week or so plus some pre-ordered items that will all help to flesh out the decks I need. Hoping to hold off on any more boosters until all that comes in, then inventory what I've got. I've only been on here a short time but I must say that of all the forums I visit, this has certainly been the most pleasant. Of course once you get to know me that may change :-)
    But again, thanks all for the help, great bunch of folks here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast