Ares Games

Thread: WGS NW Australia 1943 - custom 1/200 RAAF Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VCs (Skytrex)

Default WGS NW Australia 1943 - custom 1/200 RAAF Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VCs (Skytrex)

I don't know if there any Spits left in Burma, but I can tell you as of tonight there is a flight ready for action in Brisbane Australia!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spit MkVC RAAF 1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	71977

My WGS project #6 for 2013 brings to the gaming table four Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VC fighters of 1 Fighter Wing, RAAF. These are metal Skytrex Action 200 miniatures, available here http://www.skytrex.com/266/action-20...craft-british/. The model comes with a separate tail wheel which can be inserted into a pre-drilled hole and glued in place.
    They were standard Mk.Vs (see Skytrex stock photo below) until I took to them with epoxy putty, a hobby knife and sandpaper to add tropical Vokes filters to the nose on each aircraft (see thread http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Spitfire-Mk-VC).

Name:	Spit MkV.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	71980

The Spitfire Mk.V was entered service in early 1941. The most numerous Spitfire type produced it was basically an up-engined version of the Mk.II, slightly faster, higher ceiling and better climb rate. The most common armament load-out was two 20mm Hispano cannon and four .303 machine guns all in the wings. Unfortunately the Mk.VC versions sent to the Middle East, Burma and the Pacific were fitted with the aero-dynamically challenged Vokes filters, which caused a deterioration in performance wiping out the improvements over the earlier marks. As such I am keeping the Mk.II stats for the Mk.VC except for the guns which are CCB/CA.

Name:	Spit MkVC RAAF 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	71976

Name:	Spit MkVC RAAF 5.jpg 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	71974

These Spits are painted dark green/dark earth camouflage with sky blue undersides and white wing leading edge identification bands.

Name:	Spit MkVC RAAF 8.JPG 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	71971

Name:	Spit MkVC RAAF 6.JPG 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	71973

1 Fighter Wing was deployed to the Darwin area in early 1943 to defend northern Australia against Japanese air raids. The CO was Squadron Leader Clive 'Killer' Caldwell DFC Australia's leading ace at the time with 20+ victories. The three squadrons were 54 Squadron RAF, and 452 and 457 Squadrons RAAF. I will completing one of these aircraft as Caldwell's mount (white spinner) and the other three as 457 Squadron Spitfires (black spinners).

Name:	Mk_5b_TropV_Caldwell.gif 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	71978

Name:	RAAFSpit 457 Sqn RAAF.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	71979

I am very pleased with the results, the filters look great. Unfortunately I now find myself short of letter ID and underwing roundel decals due to the pace of construction over the past month. I'll scrounge some more tomorrow

These Spitfires will see their baptism of fire at Cancon next weekend, if I can convince a couple of players to take them up for a spin.

Name:	Spit MkVC RAAF 7.JPG 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	71972

Looking great, Carl; I doubt you'll have any problem finding takers. May some problem crewing the Bettys, when they see what's waiting for the.
    Wish I could join you there for the game; my Jensen's Gate is down for maintenance
    Kar

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Looking great, Carl; I doubt you'll have any problem finding takers. May some problem crewing the Bettys, when they see what's waiting for the.
    Wish I could join you there for the game; my Jensen's Gate is down for maintenance
    Kar
    The dreaded tyranny of distance! At least Cancon is *only* a 1200km drive for me from Brisbane to Canberra.

These four were my last January project - 20 aircraft in 20 days - a good way end this month's production.

Very nice Carl, and as the old addage goes "A Flight in the hand is worth two in the bush" or even buried in Burma.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very nice Carl, and as the old addage goes "A Flight in the hand is worth two in the bush" or even buried in Burma.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. I'm particular chuffed the epoxy putty Vokes filters turned out OK, not having previously worked with the material. It was a nice surprise not to have to chip them off and start again.

Good work Carl

After six months I finally got around to putting identification codes on my RAAF Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VC Tropicals.

Name:	IMG_3444.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	99632

CR-C is the Spitfire flown by Australian Ace Clive Caldwell, CO of 1 Fighter Wing. QY-G is a No.452 Squadron RAAF machine and ZP-V and ZP-T are No.457 Squadron RAAF aircraft.

The letters are white Shed decals.

What! Oh yes Carl. Damned good show old bean.

They really put the icing on the cake.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 13:45
  2. RAAF WW2 photos etc.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 02:56
  3. Painting of newly-built Soviet warplanes, June 1941- September 1943
    By Albert Ross in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9