Ares Games

Thread: Organization & Equipment of a "Balloon Company"

Question Organization & Equipment of a "Balloon Company"

In preparation for a Balloon Busting gaming morning next week, I have become interested in the details of Balloon Companies.

Their size varied greatly e.g. 100-200 personnel; generally each company had had only 1 balloon in operation at a time; they had several trucks and power-winches, miles of rope and cable, several trained observers, field telephone teams, etc. BUT, did they have their own AA MGs and/or AA Guns, or did they need to rely on other ground units to support them? How many AA MGs and AA Guns were normally assigned to defend each balloon/site? Were there "standard" patterns for siting the AA MGs and AA guns around a balloon?

I have spent over 3 hrs searching the net on 3 occasions and have learned quite a lot about them but nothing about these AA details.

Do any of you know, or can you direct me to a good site or book?

Bruce

Default Thanks Druid. Very good site, but I crave even more.

I had not found that reference/site and it is some very good information that was news to me. However, I know that within a few months of the advance American forces arriving in Europe, the organization of their few balloon companies changed significantly e.g. from approx 100 all-ranks to 200 all ranks.

After having read the reference that you provided, which shows approx 100 men including only 2 AA MGs and 6 "sharp-shooters", (and lots of additional specifics) I suspect that one of the most significant changes to the organization made soon after arrival in Europe was in relation to AA defences. I would have guessed 6 X AA MG teams (another 20 -25 men and some trucks) and perhaps even 2-3 X AA guns (towed of truck mounted). However, I suspect the AA-guns were held/allotted only to division level or higher and, in such a case, the numbers that might be allocated to Balloon defence could have varied greatly.

Thanks very much. I will cull the details out of this reference and add them to my steadily growing knowledge of WW I Balloon companies.

Bruce

Similar Missions

1. Jasta "Boelcke" Albatros D3 repaints
    By IRM in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 13:51
  2. Dilemma on "interactive" scenery
    By Gravitypool in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 16:09
  3. Anyone Watching "The Pacific" on HBO?
    By kaufschtick in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 08:41
  4. Which WoW "Base Game" for starters ???
    By MadMajor in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 22:32
  5. WGF & WGS: Miniature Product Info "files"
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 00:21