Ares Games

Thread: Spitfire crash

Default Spitfire crash

BBC reporting east midlands airport closed due to a spitfire crashing on runway ,pilot seriously hurt ?

updated now NO ONE HURT thankfully

Typical of the B.E.F. communications.
    I live ten miles from East Midlands Airport, and have to rely on the Italian Wing Commander for up to date news on the situation.
    Thanks Attilio old bean.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I live ten miles from East Midlands Airport, and have to rely on the Italian Wing Commander for up to date news on the situation.
    Thanks Attilio old bean.
    Kyte.
    Official Secrets Act. The Spit was on a mission...

Thanks Attilio old bean.
    Kyte.

[sarcasm]Undercarriage collapse on a Spitfire? Never would have believed it.[/sarcasm]

I'm glad no one was hurt and that the damage was relatively minor.

I know there is a athread on this but I read today that there are 140 Spits at the Burma sites that are being looked at. I have to find the post about that.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    [sarcasm]Undercarriage collapse on a Spitfire? Never would have believed it.[/sarcasm]
    I wasn't aware that weak undercarrage was a Spitfire fault.
    Karl

sad news

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I wasn't aware that weak undercarrage was a Spitfire fault.
    Karl
    Granted, the problem really became apparent with the Seafire; but any narrow-track landing gear is going to be a pain to work with. (At the moment, any attempts to perform a web search on the topic are impossible, as any mention of the topic links straight back to the above-mentioned accident article.)

The only thing I could come up with was this from a serving officer :-

"The landing gear can be tricky to handle, as it's narrow stance makes ground loops easy. This becomes more and more a problem as the engine power increased. Be careful when taxiing and taking off or landing."

Also this article from much later.

http://www.touchdown-aviation.com/fl...-ix-g-ccca.php

Not really conclusive evidence given the number of landings that Spits made during the War. If there had been an inherent problem I think we would have heard more about it.

Rob.

Not really conclusive evidence given the number of landings that Spits made during the War. If there had been an inherent problem I think we would have heard more about it.
    Like I said: It mainly cropped up with the Seafire, which had the same landing gear as the land version; the "controlled crash" which was the CV landing really pointed up the design's faults (one will note: The design was never used again). I suspect if one digs deeply enough, one will find a great many of the "accidents" listed for the Spitfire were in fact landing-gear collapses.

That said: The Me-109 was even worse; where the Spit's gear was more-or-less vertical, the -109 had its gear at an angle, which made it even more collapse-prone.

An expensive mistake!

'Spitfire pilot pulling 'wrong lever' caused accident. The WWII aircraft had been recently restored at a cost of £1m. Pilot error was to blame for an accident involving a Spitfire which forced the closure of East Midlands Airport in January.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-22474805

Guess that's what insurance is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    An expensive mistake!

'Spitfire pilot pulling 'wrong lever' caused accident.
    Commonly known as 'finger trouble'.

Or in the RAF 'switch pigs'.

Great news the the pilot was not injured and hope the damage wasn't that bad and can be repaired.

I imagine that this will be his last flight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    An expensive mistake!

'Spitfire pilot pulling 'wrong lever' caused accident. The WWII aircraft had been recently restored at a cost of £1m. Pilot error was to blame for an accident involving a Spitfire which forced the closure of East Midlands Airport in January.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-22474805

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Great news the the pilot was not injured and hope the damage wasn't that bad and can be repaired.
    From the AAIB report, hyperlinked in the BBC article at #17 - 'Damage to propeller, lower engine cowling, both radiator
    fairings, left flap, left aileron, underside of left wing.'

Not crtitical, but not cheap either, especially as it will require a new set of airworthiness checks if she's ever to get off the ground again.

Thankfully, no-one was hurt.

Similar Missions

1. P-51 crash at Reno Air Race
    By somaliavet in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 13:23
  2. Another DR.I crash :(
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 17:49
  3. Sad news - DH.53 Crash
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club