Ares Games

Thread: F4U Corsair or P-51?

Default F4U Corsair or P-51?

Quote Originally Posted by angiolillo on BBG 19Dec12
    Yes WoW minis are 100% compatible. Spitfire (Mk.IX) and Corsair will appear in 2013.
    Andrea,

Is the P-51 getting swapped out for a F4U in this release?
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 01-07-2013 at 01:26.

No, the P-51 will come in the first part of the year together with Spitfire IX, Ki-84 and Fw-190, while the Corsair should be part of another series that I hope will see the light within the end of the year.

That's great news! Although I think I'd put the F4U with the Ki-84... but that's with out knowing what else is coming out with the F4U as it stands!

Thanks for the quick response.

Oh, and if the "F4U Series" does make it out this year, that would be three new series for WGS this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Oh, and if the "F4U Series" does make it out this year, that would be three new series for WGS this year!
    Very exciting news! I am hoping the set will also include the Messerschmitt Bf109G 'Gustav' and Lockheed P-38 Lightning. I don't know what the second Axis fighter would be, perhaps a Macchi MC.202 or 205V, or maybe a Nakajima Ki-100, for which we already have a card.

I don't think we will see two US fighters in a single series release, so I'm betting no P-38 (but I'd love to have one!). And, it would most likely be in a twin engine release anyways. I think the second Axis fighter would have to be Japanese. What's left that would match up good against an F4U?

I don't think we will see two US fighters in a single series release, so I'm betting no P-38 (but I'd love to have one!). And, it would most likely be in a twin engine release anyways. I think the second Axis fighter would have to be Japanese. What's left that would match up good against an F4U?
    Nakajima Ki-44-IIb Shoki (Tojo), max speed 605kmh, armament 4 x 12.7mm MG (BB/B).

The Kawasaki Ki-100-Ib is slower at 590kmh, but is armed with 2 x 12.7mm and 2 x 20mm (CCB/CA), a little more competitive in the 'bang for your buck stakes'.

Hmmm, perhaps a Hawker Typhoon or a Yak-9? If the 'Gustav' was not on the list I could cope with a Focke-Wulf Fw190A.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hmmm, perhaps a Hawker Typhoon or a Yak-9? If the 'Gustav' was not on the list I could cope with a Focke-Wulf Fw190A.
    Another possibility is the La-5 or 7.
    Karl

I could certainly cope with a radial engine fighter pack - F4U, La-5, Fw190A & Ki-100.

How about a Mitsubishi J2M2 Raiden? However it was only used in comparatively small numbers.

I see a few folks are looking for a Pacific theme. P-51 for each theater. Maybe a Shturmovik for the Russians. Kate to compliment the Val and S. M. 79 for the Italians. There are other planes to compliment each other in each theater.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    I see a few folks are looking for a Pacific theme. P-51 for each theater. Maybe a Shturmovik for the Russians. Kate to compliment the Val and S. M. 79 for the Italians. There are other planes to compliment each other in each theater.
    P-51s are overdone; moreover, most of the Mustangs deployed to China were the early models, not the bubble-tops everyone's familiar with. Give us the F4U -- one each USN, FAA, and Aeronavale.

The SM.79 was a trimotor; it goes with the bomber releases.

As much as I look forward to the F4U, I think for gaming I'd rather have an SBD or other divebomber. WGS is very lacking in scenario and campaign play

As much as I look forward to the F4U, I think for gaming I'd rather have an SBD or other divebomber. WGS is very lacking in scenario and campaign play
    I agree. Let's have a few more aircraft that allow historic scenarios in the Pacific. SBDs and maybe TBDs or TBFs, along with Kates would be nice for some carrier battles.

Leave us not forget the Hellcat, really couldn't have a Marianas Turkey Shoot without it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    I agree. Let's have a few more aircraft that allow historic scenarios in the Pacific. SBDs and maybe TBDs or TBFs, along with Kates would be nice for some carrier battles.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    P-51s are overdone; moreover, most of the Mustangs deployed to China were the early models, not the bubble-tops everyone's familiar with. Give us the F4U -- one each USN, FAA, and Aeronavale.

The SM.79 was a trimotor; it goes with the bomber releases.
    FAA & Aeronaval??

No, no, Chris.

One F4U from the USMC / 214 (VMF-214) "Black Sheep" and two US Navy versions (one with rockets please!).

...and a Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    FAA & Aeronaval??
    That was a joke -- much the same way when the P-47 is released, the paint jobs will be: RAF Far East; Brazilian AF; and 21th Sqdn Mexican Air Force.

Of course, given how many paint jobs on a side are essentially identical: It would be more worth Ares's while to have a basic paint scheme, and provide decals for the player to customize with.

To progress WGS we do need to expand the rules to include anti-ship and anti-sub operations. I would imagine an expansion with torpedo attacks and ship targets released with a miniatures set including the B5N Kate, TBF Avenger, SM79 and Bristol Beaufort might sell well.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Joel
    Sorties Flown

Glad to see the Corsair is coming, I can't wait, I remember being 5 years old glued to the tv set watching Robert Conrad play Pappy Boyington in Black Sheep Squadron, and being in love with this aircraft ever since. Course that dates me....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jwar View Post
    Glad to see the Corsair is coming, I can't wait, I remember being 5 years old glued to the tv set watching Robert Conrad play Pappy Boyington in Black Sheep Squadron, and being in love with this aircraft ever since. Course that dates me....
    You & a thousand others, Joel!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    That was a joke -- much the same way when the P-47 is released, the paint jobs will be: RAF Far East; Brazilian AF; and 21th Sqdn Mexican Air Force.
    i don't see whats so wrong with an FAA Corsair, we did use quite a few around the world Not sure a French one would be that hot a seller so we could allow you two USN, or a navy and marine bird

We have a lot of Spitfires and the Beaufighter to crush the Japs from the UK side in the Pacific theater.

I would prefer:

1 US-Navy version with additional fuel tanks

1 USMC version

1 US-Navy version with rockets

What would be handy would be optional bombs or rockets for all of them (maybe something they could think of for future releases - include (or make available separately) sprues of ordnance with corresponding holes in the undersides of the wings?

Similar Missions

1. F4U Corsair Project
    By Scanetsu in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-01-2018, 13:39
  2. F4U Corsair
    By costampede in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 12:13
  3. New Ray F4U Corsair and G4M2 "Betty"
    By bigk57 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 30