Ares Games

Thread: WGS Malaya - 1/200 Lockheed Hudson Mk.I, 1 Squadron RAAF (Helmet Historical Aircraft)

Default WGS Malaya - 1/200 Lockheed Hudson Mk.I, 1 Squadron RAAF (Helmet Historical Aircraft)

My last 'paint your own' WGS model for 2012 is a 1/200 scale Lockheed Hudson Mk.I by British company Helmet Historical Aircraft. The Helmet kit is very detailed, coming with airscrews and landing gear. Decals are from Shed and Microscale. I am using a WGS heavy fighter sized base for the Hudson given it's small size and comparative manouverability for a patrol bomber. I am using a 'J' deck with Immelmann and steep slideslip cards removed (see following post re RAAF Twin Wasp Hudsons). Armament consisted of two .30 cal machine guns in the nose, two in a rear dorsal turret and occasionally one in a ventral hatch. Top altitude is 9 and climb rate 4. I have given the Hudson 25 damage points.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a16-86-001.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	69998
    1 Squadron RAAF Hudsons in Malaya

This Hudson represents serial A16-21 delivered from the USA in February 1940 and assigned to 1 Squadron RAAF in April 1940. On 4 July 1940 the squadron moved to Sembawang in Singapore then to Kota Bharu in northeast Malaya the following month. Even before the Pearl Harbour raid A16-21 flew the first RAAF sortie against the Japanese at 0208hrs 8/12/41, bombing Japanese troop transports approaching the Malayan coast. A16-21 survived the desperate battles over Malaya and Singapore but was lost on 14/2/42 over the sea near Bantang Hari river whilst attacking an enemy convoy with four other Hudsons. A16-21 was last seen with one engine smoking and two IJN Zero fighters on it's tail near the Moesi River, Sumatra. The crew consisting of pilot F/Lt J Lockwood, co-pilot P/O G Christensen, wireless operator F/Sgt A W Munday and air gunner Sgt E Edmondson were posted as missing believed killed.

Name:	Hudson 4.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	69994

Name:	Hudson 3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	69995

Name:	Hudson 2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	69996

Name:	Hudson 1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	69997

The Hudson was the most advanced bomber in RAAF service in 1941, and as such their crews were some of the best trained aircrew Australia had to offer. The Hudson squadrons flew numerous sorties in the first months of the war, usually unesorted, opposed by overwhelming numbers of experienced enemy fighter pilots and heavy flak. They got in their licks but paid a heavy price in their efforts to delay the Japanese advance.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 12-30-2012 at 19:08.

Nice model Carl though I have got to admit I did the same.

Hi Alastair, I just checked out your Hudson in your album, very nice. Later war than A16-21, late 1942-43.

What stats do you use for the aircraft?

Default RAAF Hudsons with Twin Wasp engines

Finishing the Hudson prompted me to go back and revisit the literature on the aircraft. When purchasing Hudsons for the RAAF in 1939, then Chief of Air Staff Air Commodore Richard Williams selected the Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp SC3-G engines instead of the 1100 hp Wright GR-1820- G102A nine-cylinder air-cooled radials mounted in the versions built for the RAF. I had previously read this but had not considered what it meant. 100hp may not seem much but the power provided by the Twin Wasp was half as much again as that of the Wright engine. As a result the first 50 RAAF Hudsons were almost 60kph faster than their RAF Coastal Command counterparts. Both aircraft were initially designated Hudson Mk.I's by the RAF, however the RAAF Twin Wasp versions were later classified as the Hudson Mk.IV.

In most of the specifications you will find the Hudson Mk.I's top speed stated at around 246-260mph (397-418kmh), however the Twin Wasp version had a top speed of 284mph (457kmh). It could climb at 2160 feet/min (10.9 m/s), which would give it a WGS climb rate of 4, pretty reasonable for a light bomber. Given these circumstances I am changing to the 'J' manouver deck (less Immelman and steep sideslip cards) for the RAAF Hudson Mk.I(IV).

Carl I was initially useing the same stats as you, but with you last post I will change the deck to a J.

That's another cracker Carl.
    All these aircraft at once. Are you the one responsible for hijacking Clipper's Elves?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That's another cracker Carl.
    All these aircraft at once. Are you the one responsible for hijacking Clipper's Elves?
    Rob.
    Nothing so sinister, I've just had too many aircraft sitting around for too long. That and I'm running a WGS competition at Cancon in three weeks and want these aircraft for some scenarios.

Deadlines are great to focus the attention.

Excellent model and a great history of the real aircraft, much appreciated.

Very well done this Hudson ... Must dig out mine (from AIM) ... to be finished as a plane from 320 (Dutch) Squadron ca. 1942

cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Similar Missions

1. WGS North Africa - 1/200 AIM P-40B's, No.3 Squadron RAAF in the Western Desert
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 05:53
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 13:45
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2012, 05:13
  4. Great website for AFC/RAAF aircraft details
    By Rat of Vengence in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 15:29
  5. RNZAF Lockheed Hudson