Ares Games

Thread: What color

Default What color

I am going to be painting some of the Jasta 18 Albatros D.V 's blue and red I am curious what is the color of the underside of the plane and wings it looks like a light blue but could lean towards grey anyone have an idea.

And thanks in advance

From the info I remember light or sky blue was for under the wings. The body and nose though are painted in the Jasta colours, unless someone else knows different

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    From the info I remember light or sky blue was for under the wings. The body and nose though are painted in the Jasta colours, unless someone else knows different
    As far as I know from the Jastas I have researched, you are correct Chris, but I expect that there will be exceptions to this rule if we look far enough.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    The only exception I can think of would be late-build aircraft which would have had pre-preinted lozenge camouflage on the wings rather than green/mauve above, light blue below.

Are there any examples of lozenge on the top wing and blue underneath?

Quote Originally Posted by kduke42 View Post
    Jasta 18 in particular? No. But there are a few like that. Buchner's D.VII in Jasta 53 for example.

Examples of Jasta 18, showing known variations

Blue and Red schemes

As you can see, there were many variations - so upper (unpainted) lozenge, lower (painted) lt blue is plausible, even if we don't have a specific pictorial record. Aircraft were also repaired with unpainted lozenge on painted areas, and left wings in 5-colour, right wings in 4-color weren't unknown.

As for the side decals - I've made a set for Albatros and Pfalz in Red/Blue schemes.

Copy, and Print on decal paper at 5cm width. If you don't have decal paper to hand, PM me and I'll print up a set for you if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by kduke42 View Post
    I'd suggest this is unlikely, though as with all WWI finishes, nothing seems impossible as the interpretation of Julius Buckner's Fokker D.VII in Jasta 13 livery shows in a 1970's Osprey colour plate - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-1918-(Osprey). Green/mauve over light blue was the standard factory-finish until the introduction of factory-applied pre-printed lozenge fabric. As older wing fabric is repaired/replaced in the field, that replacement can be assumed to be with new lozenge-printed fabric. Unit applied Jasta colours are painted over either the original camouflage painted surface or the lozenge fabric with, depending on the Jasta (or individual aircraft) upper/lower surfaces on the top wing often being a different scheme from the bottom wing.

Similar Missions

1. WSF Pfalz EII of a different color!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 03:53
  2. WWI In Color
    By Coog in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 09:46
  3. World War One, In Color
    By Hunter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8