Ares Games

Thread: P-39Q Airacobras!

Default P-39Q Airacobras!

Hi everyone - I am posting a few pix of my P-39Q aircraft: 2 US flown and 3 Soviet. They are built and decalled straight from their boxes except that two of the Soviet planes have Russian slogans added.

They are 1/144 models from F-Toys Wing Kit Collection Volume 7.

I hope that you like them. They have not been in action yet but flying them should prove interesting I hope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails soviet 5.jpg   soviet 4.jpg   soviet 3.jpg   soviet 2.jpg   soviet 1.jpg  

airacobra Ruskie.jpg   airacobra2 USA.jpg   airacobra USA.jpg   airacobra 1 USA.jpg  

Nice stuff Nigel; surpised not to see any 23 Sqn RAAF birds in there though!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Nice stuff Nigel; surpised not to see any 23 Sqn RAAF birds in there though!
    Plenty of time! Haven't started on the Aussie airforce yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    They look sweet. What decks you using for them?

Thomas
    They will be flying on "G" deck. This deck was in one of the DOW boxes - can't remember which. 3 Airacobra cards are included as well as P-40 B&C Warhawk & Tomahawk IIB.

Nigel

They look great. The P-39`s are in Fire from the Sky From the Sky expansion. I just ordered two more P-39`s and a couple P-40`s from China.

Rich

I found this article about one unfortunate Soviet pilot and his P-39. It makes fascinating reading:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-10-21_p-39.asp

The P-39s look great, Nigel. I need to add P-39s to my build list to expand my Soviet forces for eastern front games. My wife's grandfather also helped build P-39 engines during WW2, giving me another appreciation for the plane.

If you need Nigel, I've got a few Aircobra custom cards in my WWII Allied Fighters album...

I can easily edit the image to match your excellent looking squad if you need.
    Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    If you need Nigel, I've got a few Aircobra custom cards in my WWII Allied Fighters album...

I can easily edit the image to match your excellent looking squad if you need.
    Max.
    That would be excellent Max Thank you! Much appreciated!

Nigel, thanks for sharing this story. Quite a tale it is. Your birds look sweet. I've got several marked in Russian and SWP markings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    I found this article about one unfortunate Soviet pilot and his P-39. It makes fascinating reading:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-10-21_p-39.asp

Nigel

My reinforcements have a arrived from Hong Kong a pair of P-39`s and a pair of P-40`s.

Rich

Richard where do you order from? I check for F-Toys and can't find many places that have them.

I have a few boxes of them in the garage, what are you looking for? Clipper shifting from 1/144 to 1/200 for WWII . . .

Clipper, by any chance do you have any of the Mc 202s? They are a very scarce commodity.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I have a few boxes of them in the garage, what are you looking for? Clipper shifting from 1/144 to 1/200 for WWII . . .

hmm, no 202's but there are 3 Zeroes, 3 FW 190D's and a few odd ones as well. There is a deeper box of them but that will take an expedition to get to them, Dr Livingston around?

Bob

I did a E bay search and found them. Here is a link to the P-40`s i picked up. The same selller has a few P-39`s left also.

Rich

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/F-toys-1-144-...item2326818acf

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Bob

I did a E bay search and found them. Here is a link to the P-40`s i picked up. The same selller has a few P-39`s left also.

Rich

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/F-toys-1-144-...item2326818acf
    I have dealt with this particular ebay seller before (I think on these actual planes!) and he is very good - recommended! Note that these P-40's are the "secret item" Australian birds (only one decal option - Australian, no USA markings).

Nigel

That is why i picked them up. I am running some New Guinea games next month. They will fit right in!

Rich

Dr. Livingston the time traveler, I presume?
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    hmm, no 202's but there are 3 Zeroes, 3 FW 190D's and a few odd ones as well. There is a deeper box of them but that will take an expedition to get to them, Dr Livingston around?

Nigel

That is why i picked them up. I am running some New Guinea games next month. They will fit right in!

Rich
    looking forward to pictures with high expectations!

That seller was good i ordered my planes a around the 15 of December and they arrived before the New Year.

Rich

That seller was good i ordered my planes a around the 15 of December and they arrived before the New Year.

Rich
    nice models they are too! Just need some Boomerangs...

I noticed in the Unofficial Aircraft List that the P-39Q Airacobra uses a Q* maneuver deck which is also used by many other aircraft. Would someone, please, point me to the thread that explains what the Q* maneuver deck is, and its evolution?

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2137
    Q* removes the extreme side slips from the Q deck.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2137
    Q* removes the extreme side slips from the Q deck.
    Karl
    Well, that was easy enough. Thanks Karl!