Ares Games

Thread: Battle of Britain Campaign - Evolution, New Tactics, Bringing Britain to Her Knees

Default Battle of Britain Campaign - Evolution, New Tactics, Bringing Britain to Her Knees

It's been a while since I last posted. That doesn't mean we have not been busy. I think in the last two months Fritzthefox and I have only missed one weekly session. The time has been well spent looking at how the game system and the campaign could be tweaked to make it more playable. Here are some of the things we have done.

Climbing and diving turns. We have introduced new cards for climbing and diving turns. Climbing cards use the slow left and right turns for climbing with a 1 or 2 card to reflect the degree of climb. Diving uses a fast left or right turn with one, two and three cards for the loss of altitude. We have also worked out the sequence for a loop and will be introducing cards for that shortly.

One card is slected at a time. This has been a simple yet very effective change making dogfighting very challenging.

The range has been doubled. We did some simple calculations using scale and historical experience and concluded that the ranges were too short so simply doubled them. This has made the game more playable in our view and has not upset the game play. Remember also that we are playing on decent sized boards sometimes using three at a time so it effective using the extra space.

The requirement to do straights before and after Immelmans and Split S maneouvres has been dropped. The principle we have adopted is that if it could physically have been done then it should be reflected in the game.

I think I mentioned this before but we made one Spitfire in 3 a cannon armed aircraft to give the Brits a bigger punch. That has worked out well. It drives Mark carzy trying to guess which plane is so equipped. Does great damage to the bombers in a shorter time as you would expect.

When an aircraft receives over 50% damage it heads for home and is only taken out of play when double the range of the nearest enemy fighter.

We have balanced the aircraft and how they enter the game. Dice is used to decide whether the intercepting aircraft are Spits or Hurricanes on a 1:2 ratio, i.e. more Hurricanes. Then dice is used to select the interception angle. This has made a profound change as the German fighters are frequently caught out of position and the Brits can hack away at the bombers before having to engage the fighters. The numbers of fighters has ben set to 3 British and 2 German. Also the British player dices for altitude which reflects the interception warning time they have received. We still do reinforcements and randomise the angle from which they appear.

So all these changes have been slowly and carefully tested out. The game is now more challenging and this week we had an incredible dogfight where to get into a firing position took real thought and I think we were both impressed how the combined changes have made the game more playable and more challenging. I know we have taken the game mechanics away from the basic beer and skittles simplicty but at the same time it has for us become more playable and more enjoyable. Have to credit Mark for putting some deep thought into these ideas. One other great benefit of the changes is that more bombers get shot down and the games now end up as British victories or draws. No more German dominance. Also, bomber interceptions and shoot downs take place before the target is bombed. Something which didn't happen before.

Anyway, here are some photos and a narrative of our game last week.

Huricanes bounce Me109's.... or is it the other way around?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	68997

One Hurricanes bites the dust and one Me109 limps away across the Channel.

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	68998

Aha! The bombers having made their bombing run scoot for home, except Hurricanes are in the way. "Achtung Huricanes" lacks the same drama as "Achtung Spitfire" don't you think? Did you know these Jerry bastards have given up bombing aerodromes and radar staions and are now bombing breweries!!!! This is a horrible change in tactics which could bring Britain to its knees!

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	68999

Just as the last Hurricanes succumb reinforcements arrive and now have a chance to have a go at the bombers.

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	69000

And go to it they do. Despite losing one almost immediately, the other two focus on the bombers.

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	69001

Despite going out over the Channel they continue to get hits whilst the German fighters can't seem to get to grips with them. Reasonable revenge for brewery bombing, I say!

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	69002

And the good work pays off with the tail Heinkel going down in flames. Cue the closing scene music from the movie and when the points are tallied up a British Victory. Just as it should be too! And all done by Hurricances. Not a prima donna Spitfire pilot in sight! Take that Hermann!

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	69003

Cheers,

Geoff

Great pics and report. Thanks for shareing with us.

How many Germans, total, were lost this mission?

Fritzthefox

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    How many Germans, total, were lost this mission?
    From recollection one German fighter shot down and one forced to break off plus one Heinkel shot down. 2 hurricanes shot down and 2 forced to break off. I think we are almost there with the rules changes and the best thing about it is that it is easily managed with just 2 players.

Sounds like you have made some great development with the game play Geoff - not sure about bombing the breweries though... you should know...

Name:	2006_0408spitfire0001.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	69043

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzthefox View Post
    From recollection one German fighter shot down and one forced to break off plus one Heinkel shot down. 2 hurricanes shot down and 2 forced to break off. I think we are almost there with the rules changes and the best thing about it is that it is easily managed with just 2 players.
    OK -- that sounds closer to "reality".

PensyDerJäger

Nice shootin' there, Tex! Taking out a 109 with a Hurricane AND forcing another to break off as well as downing a Heinkel! That's pretty impressive!http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ima...es/sthumbs.png

Nice AAR, and I am very interested in this campaign rules, too. Are the campaign rules available in te files section ?

Thumbs up

Top AAR there Geoff & I like the way you have "tweeked" the rules to reflect the actual B of B situations. Well done my man.

We haven't put our rule amendments in the file section as yet as we are still trying a few ideas out. Will do so when finished. Our latest modification relates to firepower. The average Spit or Hurricane can blast away at an Me109 with little result. Whereas the Me109 can blast the opposition out of the sky. Something was clearly wrong. I know that the 303 does not have the same range nor impact of a 50 cal but neither side were using 50 cals. The German canons we thought were accurately reflected in the rules, the British 303's not. So we tried the simple rule of of dividing the guns by 2 an then allocating that number to the firepower of the aircraft. Now, a Hurricane and Spitfire has 4 B's to reflect its 8 guns. Long range the results are halved and rounded down. This has been a profound change. The British now have better firepower as short range (as you would expect) even with 303's which means that the overwhelming German firepower has been negated to a degree. So in a head on pass for instance, the British now can deal out an almost equal measure of pain. The result has been that we now rely more upon manouvering our aircraft than going in straight lines, which would not have been the way the real pilots flew. Our other change has been the use of cards to dictate the commitment of fighters to the battle. Both sides have three cards with 2, 4, 6. They get to select one card for the initla attack and another card for reinforcements. Both cards are chosen randomly. The third card is discarded. The other player does not get to see the card until it is played. We will be testing this out tomorrow.

Thanks for all you positive comments. With the changes the game has got better and better.

Cheers,

Geoff

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain
    By fox in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 09:02
  2. Battle of Britain Campaign rules?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 08:40
  3. 19 Sqn Battle of Britain
    By Boney10 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 02:27
  4. Battle of Britain Campaign - Game 3 - Attend a Flogging!
    By hoady02 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 21:40
  5. Battle of Britain Campaign Starts - Day 1 and 2
    By hoady02 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 22:00