Ares Games

Thread: Decals all over

Default Decals all over

I am really happy with the new twin engine airplanes, i mean they are simply beautiful. I just couldn't get myself to get a biplane. I am not sure if the technique of glossy decals all over the miniature is the way to go. There is a fringe clearly visible around the wing edges, there are wrinkles here and there, i really wish they would have dropped this and painted it instead. You have your Beau nicely painted and then you put your Gladiator with similar camo next to it, all shiny and weird...

I haven't the chance to have a closer look on the biplanes yet, but they look very handsome to me.

I'll by some sooner or later.

The Gladiator on the picture has a different hue of the colors on the lower wing. It is lighter. And it has got a light fringe line all around the wings, since the decal is a hair smaller. I haven't seen Fiats yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino22 View Post
    The Gladiator on the picture has a different hue of the colors on the lower wing. It is lighter. And it has got a light fringe line all around the wings, since the decal is a hair smaller. I haven't seen Fiats yet.
    RAF/FAA Land Temperate camouflage for biplanes used a Shadow Compensating colour scheme, meaning the upper and lower wings were different colours. The upper surfaces of the top mainplane and fuselage were Dark Earth and Dark Green while the fuselage sides, tailplanes and lower mainplanes were in Light Earth and Light Green.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-Markings-1940
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 05-04-2013 at 00:10. Reason: clarification

There is an image of a Glad and two of my paint your own showing the four colour camouflage here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Desert-1940-41

Ah, that makes sense then. Thank you guys for explanation

That's something I didn't know, too.

Baldrick, Carl - thank your for the information.

You learn something new here every day.
    I'm still trying to get my head around which plane is which.
    Please keep the tutorials coming chaps.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

I also didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

That is one of the the things I love about this game - learning more about the men, machines and tactics of the period.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

+ 1 here

Thumbs up

Jan

You can apply a large glossy decal. Here are two examples. Sweet`s 144 scale Macchi C.200AS has three painting options, two are dessert cammo. You paint the model sand upper grey underside. The decal sheet has the two different green cammo patterns. These are large one piece for each upper wing and smaller pieces for the body and tail. The first step to install these is to spray a gloss finish on the model. After it dries you apply the decals, the shiny decal film blends into the gloss coat. I use Micro Scale decal products to conform the decals to the model. I applied the remaining decals and gave the model a flat coat spray to finish the project.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3360.jpg   100_3358.jpg   100_3359.jpg   100_3357.jpg  

Hi Rich, thank you. I understand that if they apply a blue decal on a blue or gray undercoat it may look ok (one of the Galdiators), although i am not a big fan of glossy airplanes. A brown decal that leaves fringes on a blue undercoat looks bad (the other Gladiator). I can't help.

Similar Missions

1. HELP with decals
    By Burt in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2012, 14:44
  2. Decals
    By Niemandsland in forum German Wing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 03:35
  3. Decals
    By grumpybear in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0