Ares Games
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Origins 2013 Roll Call

As a novice you will have to help me here. I have a $2 token with my registration. Just want to meet you guys so that is the important thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    As a novice you will have to help me here. I have a $2 token with my registration. Just want to meet you guys so that is the important thing for me.
    Bob just call me on my cell ( I am PMing you the number) when you arrive at the convention center on Thursday and we will set you on the right path.

Ken
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I pray you will set me on that path as well, Ken. No doubt I am a t.o.t.a.l. newbie
    In any case my cell number is 0048 602382081.
    See you in Columbus tomorrow!

Fraxture

Hope to be there Saturday, will see you then.

Hi, another silly question--I have preregistered. Do I pick my registration package and ribbon up at the convention or do I need to print something out? Tried to find out on the convention website but that site is a prime example of not giving any useful information....

"Got down to Columbus for Origins...fire at the convention center. Knocked out generators. Origins is on hold for tonight it seems." From a friend in Columbus 2 hrs ago...

Everything is open...computer systems still down though. If you preregistered you are golden as everything is printed.

Has anyone from the group gone down today and heard any news?

Quote Originally Posted by tusekine View Post
    Hi, another silly question--I have preregistered. Do I pick my registration package and ribbon up at the convention or do I need to print something out? Tried to find out on the convention website but that site is a prime example of not giving any useful information....
    We picked everything up at the Preregistration booth - quick and painless.

I have been amazed at how poorly constructed gaming convention websites are, especially for first-timers.

Does anyone know if Wi-Fi is available at the convention, and if so, how one goes about getting connected? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Does anyone know if Wi-Fi is available at the convention, and if so, how one goes about getting connected? Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure there is; you just go for a connection, and the strongest signal should be the center. Since it's an open point, no password is needed, like the coffee shops.
    Make sure your internet protections are up to date, and active though.
    Karl

Sitting in the Hotel room right now with 11 Aerodrome members all around a game of Sails of Glory... I am sure Andy would agree... a very cool experience!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is; you just go for a connection, and the strongest signal should be the center. Since it's an open point, no password is needed, like the coffee shops.
    Make sure your internet protections are up to date, and active though.
    Karl
    Thanks. I am hoping to Skype a game, if permitted, so a 'Drome member can watch. Thanks for the protection reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Sitting in the Hotel room right now with 11 Aerodrome members all around a game of Sails of Glory... I am sure Andy would agree... a very cool experience!
    I concur....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=sog test.jpg  Views: 105  Size: 176.3 KB  ID: 93644" class="thumbnail" />

sorry for the duplicate pic, but I thought it belongs here too!
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 06-17-2013 at 14:08.

. Arrived after 3p today to register and get lay of the land. Glad I did...and glad to share a few observations.

Registration takes place on the ground floor/lower level. Easiest access is from High Street into Convention center. Main entrance is actually First level...go down, go down! Registration and Hall D (aka Mini's Hall) are on Lower level.

There are several lines to stand in during the process of registering and getting signed up for events (tickets) or picking up event ribbons. The lines are conveniently labelled "Pre-Registered", "On-Site Registration", and "Event Registration". Each serves differing clientele. Unfortunately you can spend a bit of time in the wrong line unless you know what happens at the counter in each line. Ahem...slight blush.....

"PreRegistered" is for those who actually signed up prior to the cut-off date (Badge, Ribbons / tickets ready as a prepaid packet to pick-up)...

"On-Site Registration" is for those, like me, who missed or didn't hit the cut-off date..this is where you get the "Origins Badge" that magically makes everything good happen for the rest of your visit (Wouldn't that be nice!). Badges are either for the full weekend or daily. You can also get ribbons here, but cannot register for events in this line.

"Event Registration" is exactly that...here's where you register (and pay) for event tickets. There is a nifty book of all the events (same list available on-line at Origins website) readily available for everyone laying in ample piles on tables while you are plodding along thru the queues awaiting your turn at the counter to register/pay...contains events by day, time, event description and most importantly event number. This number is what you'll need to register for the event to obtain the event ticket. There is a decent venue map on the back of this magazine style booklet. There is a similar glossy booklet that is loaded with everyone's slick ads but void of anything useful.

all ta\hat was prelude for what follows...

First thing to know for newbies...you have to have an "Origins Badge"(daily or full weekend) prior to purchasing a "Hot Ribbon"(good for admission to any event in the Miniatures Hall, I believe) or purchasing Event Tickets for specific events.
    As noted elsewhere in previous posts on this thread, priorities for seating at a table are (1) event ticket (2) Hot Ribbon (3) token (4) generic ticket...interestingly, once you have your "Origins Badge" you can enter any of the event areas but no gaming without ticket, ribbon or token.

Interestingly, once you have a "Hot Ribbon" to guarantee a spot at the table you still need to have an event ticket. Yes, leave the "On-Site" line with badge and ribbon in hand and go dawdle in the "Event" line to procure your event ticket. Otherwise, you may show up at an event to find all of the seats are ticketed leaving you with a "Hot Ribbon" and a smoldering wish for an open seat. (Fortunately our gamemasters are kind, loving and open to scenario expansion as the need occasionally arises.) Fortunately, once you have paid for the "Hot Ribbon" there is no additional cost to you to obtain the event ticket other than your time in line, but they will print your event ticket.

In the event you do not have interest in a sufficient number of games to warrant the cost of the ribbon ($20) then opt for the individual event tickets. I listed 11 events, was closed out of two, so locked in seats for the balance with tickets...since I'd purchased the Hot Ribbon saved a few bucks.

Whew! A bit longer than what I'd intended, but hope this helps a few of you navigate the site and frees you to enjoy the events without the frustration of getting lost in line-limbo.

A few lasts tidbits... Hall D is very near the registration lines. Restrooms are also nearby. Food and beverages are readily available. Vendor area in directly opposite the registration lines. And finally, once you enter The Hall of Wonders (Hall D...home of the minis) Buckeye Gamers In Flight's tables are slightly to your right in the front portion. Look forward to seeing you all at the tables over the next few days.
    Last edited by redcoon2; 06-12-2013 at 21:44. Reason: lost portion from restored auto-save

Dang it, due to the Derecho all flights from Baltimore to Columbus are cancelled. I am on the morning flight tomorrow--will miss out on a whole day. [a whole lot of cussing follows]

Sorry to be a no-show for today's games!

Thanks. I am hoping to Skype a game, if permitted, so a 'Drome member can watch.
    Eric,
    If you are doing this for me, RL may get in the way. As it turns out, I have long-time, non-wargamer friends coming up the Island to visit this weekend. I will be available Friday evening, and maybe Saturday morning, but that is it. Darn.

If it doesn't happen, perhaps next time.

Mike

Glad the weather wasn't as bad as it could have been last night, that every who was already in town is safe & whole, & hope you guys have a great time & take lots of pics.

Thanks. I am hoping to Skype a game, if permitted, so a 'Drome member can watch. Thanks for the protection reminder.
    Thats a great idea Eric will you just record the game via skype or have people on the other end of the connection playing as we do at the moment ?

If you are going to record a game live could you drop me a line so I could watch it . Bit hard to get over to Origins from France but would love to get the feel of the place Skype name paul.johnson627

Hi Mike and Paul. I was planning on turning my laptop on and enable you to watch the game as we're playing it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to access internet there or if it is even available in the big halls. I did not see anyone using computers via WiFi all day yesterday. I cannot find any info on WiFi at the convention center either. I will bring a camera, and try my best to write an AAR when we get home. I'm sorry, but I don't think Skype this year will be a possibility.

Default Had to cancel :(

Dang it, due to the Derecho all flights from Baltimore to Columbus are cancelled. I am on the morning flight tomorrow--will miss out on a whole day. [a whole lot of cussing follows]

Sorry to be a no-show for today's games!
    Couldn't make it out again this morning, so threw in the towel--very disappointing. Now I have to wait till next year...if somebody wants to use my preregistration package (to the extent the conference will allow), it is under Anthony Tu-Sekine, includes an all conference pass and a HOT ribbon.

Sorry to not make it, I was very much looking forward to it.

Hi Mike and Paul. I was planning on turning my laptop on and enable you to watch the game as we're playing it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to access internet there or if it is even available in the big halls. I did not see anyone using computers via WiFi all day yesterday. I cannot find any info on WiFi at the convention center either. I will bring a camera, and try my best to write an AAR when we get home. I'm sorry, but I don't think Skype this year will be a possibility.
    An AAR would be great! That way we can all see what we missed.

An AAR would be great! That way we can all see what we missed.
    Yep an AAr would be good. Perhaps if anyone is off to another Convention this year they might want to Skype it to us Europeans

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Yep an AAr would be good. Perhaps if anyone is off to another Convention this year they might want to Skype it to us Europeans
    Paul, and others, too,
    Put the date 9 November 2013 on your calendars! Tentative Time of 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM PST. BottosCon, in Surry, BC, will be happening there, and I will start working on getting an International Skype Game set up. The plan is that up to 8 Skype Guests will fly against 8 Conventioners in a WGF Dogfight Furball. A prize will be available for the top participant in both categories, and I will spring for the shipping to the Skype Guest.

Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
    Vancouver (Canada) Saturday, 9 November at 1:00 PM PST UTC-8 hours
    Prague (Czech Republic) Saturday, 9 November at 10:00 PM CEST UTC+1 hours
    Talvern (France) Saturday, 9 November at 10:00 PM CEST UTC+1 hours
    Firenze (Italy) Saturday, 13 April at 10:00 PM CEST UTC+1 hours
    Brisbane (Australia) Sunday, 10 November at 7:00 AM AEST UTC+10 hours
    Morpeth (UK) Saturday, 9 November at 9:00 PM GMT UTC
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Saturday, 9 November at 21:00 0:00
    Glossary - UTC
    Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones.
    Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time.

Hmmm... This would be soo much better at 12:00 PM Vancouver time, as it would allow the European Players to join in at a little more reasonable hour (9:00 PM to 11:00 PM, versus 10:00 PM to Midnight). The Gaming Convention Schedule may not allow the adjustment. I'll have to get Rob to check the Venue technical limitations and set-up for this, before we have to get too wrapped around the axle about the timing.

That's the plan, and I'll start working on the logistics. Rob [BobRoberts] is requesting ARES support for the Con, too.

Mike

Mike, this sounds like a great idea and I will have to look into what if anything the hotel will charge me to add wi-fi to the gaming area. I run the convention on a tight budget, but if I can make it happen I will.

Well done Mike . Book me a place at that one please

We have access to the gaming area almost 24/7. The convention will start at noon on Friday and wrap up on Sunday at 6pm. I've always hoped BottosCon would have international appeal

Logistics wise, if Ares were to donate a prize for the international participants, I would suggest a gift certificate to save on shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by BobRoberts View Post
    We have access to the gaming area almost 24/7. The convention will start at noon on Friday and wrap up on Sunday at 6pm. I've always hoped BottosCon would have international appeal
    Spread the word and you will find many to log on.

Prizes are a bonus

Guys, you can follow this link to find out more information on the convention I'm running in November. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/cal...=2013-11-8&c=1

My preference of course is to get people in the door, but I also realize this is not possible for everyone.

Rob,
    Awesome Idea on the Gift Certificate thing! That way, the winner gets the mini direct from Europe (unless it is a person in Australia). I wouldn't mind covering the shipping, as that way the winner isn't paying to get their prize. Personally, that sucks. A previous tournament I ran had gift certificates, but had them include the taxes, so the $25.00 prize was for $25.00 worth of stuff, not $20.00 and taxes. That was excellent, and I would want the same in this instance.

I could always impose a Skype Black-Out Zone of the BC/Washington area to encourage "locals" to come to the convention. And Sunday might be a better day for the Skype game, depending on your convention schedule.

Mike

Mike, one year at BottosCon 2 different gaming companies failed to send door prizes - a clerical oversight, so what they had me do was have the recipient pick something from their instock product list and the company then shipped directly to the prize recipient. I have 2 local game stores that in exchange for table space, they donate a gift certificate in the value of a weekend pass. Can't do anything about taxes, but when you're saving $35.00 on the cost of a game, the taxes aren't so bad.

Got you booked on my calander

The post Con replies and photos can be found in this thread.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Missions

1. National: Roll Call, let us know where you are
    By Justin3.14 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-09-2023, 11:24
  2. ORIGINS 2013!
    By Nightbomber in forum Polish Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 01:47
  3. Call for Origins 2012 GMs
    By The Cowman in forum Past Origins Game Fairs