Ares Games
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Origins 2013 Roll Call

I hope you do not mind if BBsuds tags along. Its a long ways to go and we need to bring him to improve our odds of shooting down a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by mav1624 View Post
    I hope you do not mind if BBsuds tags along. Its a long ways to go and we need to bring him to improve our odds of shooting down a plane.
    Well here is the Origins Game Fair web site. Also we will add you to the Buckeye Gamers in Flight gaming club so that you will get in at half price. Here is the list of hotels and here is the map of downtown. On the map 1-5 are the closest hotels to the convention center where Origins will be.
    If you have any questions pm Ken or me.

Thomas
    Last edited by CappyTom; 01-27-2013 at 19:28.

Rick, most of the info you could want to know about Origins (the actual event) can be found on their site. For any details on what we do as a club there, or if you just need a quick answer, just ask way.

I'm thinking about bringing my daughter, she will be 10.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Well here is the Origins Game Fair web site. Also we will add you to the Buckeye Gamers in Flight gaming club so that you will get in at half price. Here is the list of hotels and here is the map of downtown. On the map 1-5 are the closest hotels to the convention center where Origins will be.

Thomas
    Thanks Cappy

Okay, I'm officially in. Bringing the wife and kids too. I'm looking forward to ~four days of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Okay, I'm officially in. Bringing the wife and kids too. I'm looking forward to ~four days of gaming.
    Great! I'm sure you all will have a fantastic time.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Sweet, what ages are the kids?

They are 9 and 11, so just about the same age as your daughter.

Herr Oberst: we'll have to set up a special game for all the "smalls" coming to Origins
    Karl

Guys. I am going to 2 air shows prior to Origins. Can I get a head count as I would like to get some trinkets to pass out for all the friends I get to meet. Nothing facney but someting to remember the get together. Oh you will never know what you may get. Thanks in advance.

I went back and checked the beginning replys and count about 12 so far so that gives me a number to start with.

OK,

looks like I will probably be able to attend Origins this year; if so, I really want to help run a game (or 2 or 3). Are there plans afoot for this organization? Who is doing what? who is coordinator/in charge?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Maes View Post
    OK,

looks like I will probably be able to attend Origins this year; if so, I really want to help run a game (or 2 or 3). Are there plans afoot for this organization? Who is doing what? who is coordinator/in charge?

Chris
    Setting up our events and getting them submitted and approved by the end of the month is quite high on my prioirity list as of today. Give me a day or two to chat with Keith and I will get back to this question with specific answers.

Are these games that you will have to register for or get a special pass for?

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Are these games that you will have to register for or get a special pass for?
    Your best value is to get the HOT Ribbon. It gives free access to all Historical minatures events, which includes our games.

Yep, buy the HOT ribbon and maybe a couple of the Tokens if you want to try out other games that are not historical (the tokens can be bought on site as well).

Here is something I've been thinking about:

Would it be possible/practical and would there be sufficient interest and support among the group to run a weekend-long Wings of War/Wings of Glory tournament? What I am envisioning would be basically a continuous series of games similar to any of the various campaign rules, where we would track a players careers throughout the weekend. Perhaps each day would represent a different year of the war (Friday= 1916, Saturday= 1917, Sunday= 1918). Perhaps there could be an award for the highest ranking pilot of the war (or even one for each day).

What we would need: 2-3 tables (at least two 30"x72"), game mats (or old Army blankets, like I use), rules, card decks, planes (shouldn't be a problem among this group) and volunteer GM's willing to donate their time to host the games. Also, some method for recording players' careers.

Each game could follow some sort of campaign system and be inter-related or could be left up to the imagination of the GM hosting the game.

Games could be scheduled and require reservations/tickets (like most games) or could be open games requiring generic tickets or perhaps be considered open "Free" "demo" games requiring nothing more than an interest to play.

If we had enough volunteers willing to donate their time to host a game (or two or three...) we could do this. Sharing the load would allow us all to play or GM other games as well as play in some WoW/WoG games, as well. It would be an awsome opportunity to promote our organization and our favorite game. Perhaps we could get some support from Ares.

So... What are your thoughts?

Chris

Hey Chris, that's a pretty cool idea. From what we have seen over the last couple of years running events at Origins, most of the players only play one or two of our games as they have a lot of other options out there. So I'm not sure how effective a campaign style setting would be. We are also limited/bound by what Origins allows. There is another aerial combat game played there that they keep track of players "stats" from game to game and year to year. I think it might be a good tool to get people to come back and play again. Something to think about for sure.

Part of my thought was that it would be a rallying point for us Aerodrome types and an excuse for us to actually fly with/against each other. What typically are considered friendly "pick-up" games could be an "official" event available for players between other games. Most of us welcome new players; this would be a chance to share our hobby with potential new friends. Also, since most WoW/WoG games last 1-2 hours and most game sessions at origins are about 4 hours long, this would be something that others could do [I]between[I] games; something that would not require a great investment in time. Also, as many of us have learned... the game is suitable for many younger players. So, again, something else to offer.

Speaking of which... What about a "Parent & Child" game, where Dads (or Moms) would team up with their sons (or daughters) against other parent/child teams?

Again, just thinking...

Chris

Vanidil

I forgot to mention, my two sons ages 20 and 17, will be coming with me. Any suggestions on what to bring (game components, etc.)?

The great thing about going to these Cons as a player, you don't need to bring anything! Everything for the games are provided (unless specifically stated, which none of our events do) by the people hosting the game.

The only thing I could think you might want to bring for any of our Wings games would be custom painted planes if you wanted to show them off and/or fly with them if the scenario allows.

Agreed: it's always nice to show off your customs!
    Karl

I like the black shirt for you. There is a commerical that is about tee shirts for groups. Something to think about.
    Last edited by BobP; 01-20-2013 at 11:09.

*wanders in, trips over own feet, recovers*

I'm going to be there as well - fortunately/unfortunately as a member of the Library hawking my superhero books (in print) and my paranormals (in ebook form) along with doing writing panels since the theme *is* superheroes... but I'll be grabbing a fistful of tokens and hopping in when I can!

*mumbles* probably bringing the hubby who still brags about his one-shot, one-kill on the red Triplane in his first game... *mumbles*

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl Nantus View Post
    *wanders in, trips over own feet, recovers*

I'm going to be there as well - fortunately/unfortunately as a member of the Library hawking my superhero books (in print) and my paranormals (in ebook form) along with doing writing panels since the theme *is* superheroes... but I'll be grabbing a fistful of tokens and hopping in when I can!

*mumbles* probably bringing the hubby who still brags about his one-shot, one-kill on the red Triplane in his first game... *mumbles*

Congrats on the books in print. Look forward to seeing you and your husband again.

Thomas

I am seriously considering coming to Origins 2013. Can you tell me a little more about the event schedule? Lodging options? Will there be a club event/discounted pass? Is it worth attending the whole event, including Sumday? There is very little information available right now on the Origins website.

I think there is a very good probability of being there. This week, my wife will play her first game - she really enjoys Ace of Aces, and she has agreed to do a repaint for me. She is slowly becoming a gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarflord22 View Post
    I am seriously considering coming to Origins 2013. Can you tell me a little more about the event schedule? Lodging options? Will there be a club event/discounted pass? Is it worth attending the whole event, including Sumday? There is very little information available right now on the Origins website.
    Well here is the Origins Game Fair web site. Here is the list of hotels and here is the map of downtown. On the map 1-5 are the closest hotels to the convention center where Origins will be. Also we will add you to the Buckeye Gamers in Flight gaming club so that you will get in at half price. So wait on signing up for Origins till we get the code to give you the discount.

Thomas

We are still in the planning stages of our events, but we tenatively have 35 hours blocked out for Wings of Glory games. This is spread over Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We also have an annual dinner on Friday night at the 94th Aerodrome restaurant. On Sunday, many of us go to the National Museum of the USAF.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I think there is a very good probability of being there. This week, my wife will play her first game - she really enjoys Ace of Aces, and she has agreed to do a repaint for me. She is slowly becoming a gamer.
    I think she'll love it - last year was my hubby's first time playing and he now really likes the game. It's addictive!

(not to mention very easy to learn, impossible to master and if you get to Origins, lots of great people to play with!)

Its fun seeing my wife get into gaming. We attended out first convention in December, and now she is playing more types of games. Since she enjoys Ace of Aces, I think she will love WGF - she is very visual (graphic artist, jewelry maker, etc.). She told me this weekend that she wants to make a play mat for me. It is definitely nice sharing this with her.

I think she'll love it - last year was my hubby's first time playing and he now really likes the game. It's addictive!

(not to mention very easy to learn, impossible to master and if you get to Origins, lots of great people to play with!)

Thanks for the info! Unfortunatley, I will be unable to attend due to a scheduling confilict at work.

That's too bad Dwarf, I was looking forward to meeting you this year

For those of you that are going to make it, I'm working on a special version of the new Wings of Glory Aerodrome shirt for us to wear. If it happens, attending Origins this year will be the only way to get your hands on one!

Saw the preview of the shirts and they look good. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

She loved it.

By special version, am I correct in understanding this will be somewhat different from the ones we can pre-order now? If so, how should we inform you of our attendance, size, etc.?

The pre-orderable t-shirts look great by-the-way.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    For those of you that are going to make it, I'm working on a special version of the new Wings of Glory Aerodrome shirt for us to wear. If it happens, attending Origins this year will be the only way to get your hands on one!

Eric, as soon as the normal shirts are a go, I'll put an Origins version. I'm also waiting for the additional artwork that is needed on that one.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

Hey guys, I will be at Origins again this year, and I will definitely be gaming with you if I can get registered.

I would love to bee there! That is two weeks before my annual trip to Ohio and my vacation budget does not stretch that far!!

Rich

Easy solution... slide that vacation two weeks to the left

And here is the Origins 2013 specific artwork (shown as if printed in black or white):

This will go on the front of the shirt, across the chest. The Aerodrome logo will be moved to one of the sleeves.

I should have these up on the AA site today or tomorrow for ordering by those that are going to attend Origins this year.

Here is the mock up of the shirt front...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontMockUp.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	78793

I'll need to get a rough head count of who wants one, and how may you might like. I'll use this info to find out what the final costs will be.

I am planning on attending, and will purchase one of the shirts (2XL). I will check on the Mrs. as well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. National: Roll Call, let us know where you are
    By Justin3.14 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-09-2023, 11:24
  2. ORIGINS 2013!
    By Nightbomber in forum Polish Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 01:47
  3. Call for Origins 2012 GMs
    By The Cowman in forum Past Origins Game Fairs