Ares Games

Thread: Get Your Planes Printed... at Staples?!?!

Default Get Your Planes Printed... at Staples?!?!

The future keeps creeping closer and closer...
    http://www.wired.com/design/2012/11/staples-goes-3-d/

Wow....It's like magic! I think this will affect sculpture in the same way that the camera affected painting.

Wonder how their prices will compare to Shapeways?

Did you watch the video? The picture of the head sitting on the table was pretty creepy. So does this mean we can hang up our paint brushes since they'll do full color printing? Lloyd

The scenic tile at the end of the video was interesting

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Even if this model of printer they are using doesn't deliver the quality we want it won't be many more years before the quality is there. We'll be buying a digital master file editing the skin in Adobe CS and running along to Staples for our models. Can't wait once the price becomes affordable. No more painting and think of the quality you could get if you were able to edit the skin in Photoshop. Oil staining, lozenges, chequers, stripes will all become so much easier I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    The scenic tile at the end of the video was interesting
    Oh yes indeed! Modular battlefields/mats.

This might be the reason I finally start paying attention to such things as Photoshop. Boy, will I have a great deal of catching up to do then! Lloyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    Even if this model of printer they are using doesn't deliver the quality we want it won't be many more years before the quality is there. We'll be buying a digital master file editing the skin in Adobe CS and running along to Staples for our models. Can't wait once the price becomes affordable. No more painting and think of the quality you could get if you were able to edit the skin in Photoshop. Oil staining, lozenges, chequers, stripes will all become so much easier I think!

A boon to surgeons... from MRI to model, which can be practiced on.

This is indeed an interesting development.

that really was amazing.. I forsee companies having a hard time selling planes if this becomes economically viable.. just run down and print the squadron you love so much, and go game.. but I think prices in the infancy may be high until they get it all figured out and get that idea of the true value ..

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    that really was amazing.. I forsee companies having a hard time selling planes if this becomes economically viable.. just run down and print the squadron you love so much, and go game.. but I think prices in the infancy may be high until they get it all figured out and get that idea of the true value ..
    I suspect that the generally better quality of traditional methods will keep model companies alive for quite some time. The big advantage for the 3D printers is the ability to have custom images runoff that wouldn't be viable for a traditional modeling company to do. In the long run, if quality improves, and the costs keep reducing, yes this is the future.
    Karl

Model companies will still be around to serve those who enjoy modeling and painting with brushes. This is interesting because I do see this 3D printing option as transferring the "painting" to the front end of the project, where the modeler paints the plane using a graphics program and has it printed.

Quote Originally Posted by ptownhiker View Post
    Model companies will still be around to serve those who enjoy modeling and painting with brushes. This is interesting because I do see this 3D printing option as transferring the "painting" to the front end of the project, where the modeler paints the plane using a graphics program and has it printed.
    Certainly true, and when it gets to the states, I'll probably make use of it, if it's affordable. It's interesting that they release is in Flanders (Belgium and the Netherlands), rather than the US. Same as Shapeways. Was this technology invented there?
    Karl

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by ptownhiker View Post
    What interests me is exactly this. Whilst I can brush paint reasonably well I just can't match what I can do in Photoshop and Illustrator. I've loads of bits of artwork drawn up for decals that I haven't been able to afford to have printed so I guess I've a head start. Bring it on!

What interests me is exactly this. Whilst I can brush paint reasonably well I just can't match what I can do in Photoshop and Illustrator. I've loads of bits of artwork drawn up for decals that I haven't been able to afford to have printed so I guess I've a head start. Bring it on!
    Maybe we can finally get Max Headroom to the mini side of the game
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    I forsee companies having a hard time selling planes if this becomes economically viable.. just run down and print the squadron you love so much, and go game.. but I think prices in the infancy may be high until they get it all figured out and get that idea of the true value ..
    Games Workshop is *screwed*.... >;)

It's very interesting that Staples is picking this up. It will be a big push to mainstream this tech. The color part looks really good, but the 100 micron layer thickness is not so hot (for those that don't know, the smaller the micron number the better). Shapeways is already giving us 32 microns. It will be very interesting to see what the surface texture looks like in real life.

Some thing else to think about, none of the examples that I could find online show models with actual hollow places in them (like between the wings of a biplane). The skull they show off is filled with solid grey.

I can't wait to see where this go though!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Clearly something worse than Shapeways wouldn't be suitable but this is only the beginning and I expect the resolution to advance in much the same way it has with digital cameras. I didn't actually consider if for printing a whole plane more as a method of outputting coloured 'spures' from which a plane could be assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    It's very interesting that Staples is picking this up. It will be a big push to mainstream this tech. The color part looks really good, but the 100 micron layer thickness is not so hot (for those that don't know, the smaller the micron number the better). Shapeways is already giving us 32 microns. It will be very interesting to see what the surface texture looks like in real life.

Some thing else to think about, none of the examples that I could find online show models with actual hollow places in them (like between the wings of a biplane). The skull they show off is filled with solid grey.

I can't wait to see where this go though!
    Interesting catch, Herr Oberst.
    Unless the paper medea route turns into a deadend, I'm expecting resolution to improve. And like Tim, I would expect pre-painted kits to be the norm. Still bears keeping an eye on developments.
    Karl

Clearly something worse than Shapeways wouldn't be suitable but this is only the beginning and I expect the resolution to advance in much the same way it has with digital cameras.
    I wouldn't be so sure... there are physical limitations involved. The advantage of this process at the moment is that there's nothing new about the components, just the way they're used. Getting from 100 micron to 10 micron resolution using cellulose fibres may require the invention of a completely new paper manufacturing process, new cutting techniques etc.

Look at how little automobiles have changed over the last 100 years. Many improvements in details, reliability etc but still most cars have 4 wheels, propelled by an internal combustion engine at the front, via rear wheel driven axles.

On the other hand - anything card modellers can do just using card should be doable. Most such models have wood or metal components though.

The cross section through an interplane strut on a biplane will be a dot, so I wonder whether the machine will be able to cope with biplanes.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Higher resolution has actually already arrived at an affordable price. Railway modellers are now using 3D printing to create masters that are glass smooth although these are only one colour. As with most advances in digital technology (as apposed to analogue engineering ie the automative example quoted) the pace of development will increase, I doubt we will worry about these paper based printers in a year or two as they may well become redundant fairly quickly.

Staples aren't investing in the best technology, they are simply investing in the one that makes most business sense and for them at this point in time that includes the ability to add colour and that uses paper. This is just the beginning; the Beta Max, the Model T Ford, the floppy disc…

Of course I'd love it if somebody like Revell or Airfix made 1/144 injection kits of WW1 planes but I think we honestly have more chance of Ares releasing unmade undecorated kits of their range. Still I'm amazed something hasn't emerged from Russia or Eastern Europe yet.

Similar Missions

1. WGF [Sale] WOW WWI and WWII planes, old gaming mat
    By hawk02 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 03:37
  2. Da Planes!!!!!! Boss!!!! Da Planes!!!!!
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 18:59
  3. AEROBATICS- PRINTED IN 1918 - FULL TEXT ON-LINE
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 23:50
  4. WW1 Bi-Planes & Tri-Planes Airshow
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 05:18
  5. Famous Aces - Mis-printed decks?