Ares Games

Thread: Custom Battle Mat

Default Custom Battle Mat

Hi all,

I've been slowly collecting a few of the minis to play the game but wanted a battle mat to play the game on. After some research on printing a photographic mat which turned out to be too expensive I found Wombat's mat tutorial (which is fantastic, btw, thanks for posting that!). It seemed perfect for me so I went with that. I changed the material to a wool fabric though. The whole thing cost me about $9 and about three hours of my time so far.

Here's the full mat and the mat in action:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo5.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	66853

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo6.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	66854

I still have to add some craters and trenches in No-Man's Land but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

You can see more pictures on my blog: Warlock's Home Brew

Congrats Paul It looks really cool. Frankly the most important thing is the fun time spent on making such a mat and the satisfaction of a great looking surface for your games. Creativity is what really counts. I too followed the Wombat's mat tutorial and spent a great afternoon/evening/night drawing lines and airbrushing the fields.

Now you owe us an AAR, don't you?

Great looking mat! I'm still trying to decide if I should wait for the Ares mats to come out, or make one myself using Wombat's tutorial as well.

Thanks Nightbomber, you are totally correct. It's always fun creating these custom elements for games. For me that's the 'hobby' part of it.

er....Sorry for being such a noob, but what is an AAR?

After Action Report
    Just look how we post them - in Campaign section, Over the Trenches Solitaire or F2F game

Well done Paul - this self made mat looks great!

An AAR quicky. Played with my wife and brother-in-law over the weekend using the mat.

My wife shot me down three times.

Seriously, there's nothing behind that!

Great idea!!! It goes along with painting aircraft!!! Gotta love our hobby!!!!

Thumbs up

Very well done Paul. You should be proud of that.

Incidently mate you need to choose an Avitar for your self. Go to your profile page & you will find a link on the bar on the Left Hand side to many pages of Allied & Central Power Aircraft.

Thanks, Gully. I was trying to figure that out earlier today.

Jack Hooligan

Awesome!

Two things:

1) Where'd you get the fabric? Anyone know where those 'patio fabrics' that wombat mentions can be found?

2) I don't see an avatar link on the left hand side. Is it called something else (I don't know why it would)?
    EDIT: Nevermind
    Last edited by Jack Hooligan; 11-28-2012 at 16:52.

A very good way to achieve a good looking and inexpensive mat.
    Rob.

Never dreamed such a thing was possible. Great tutorial. Got me seriously considering having a go at it, as soonas I finish the million+1 OTHER projects I've got going for this+other games... Wish I could afford to quit my job. It's seriously cutting into my hobby time.

That does look good. You have some real talent there and an eye for detail. I particularly like the little shading on the buildings and where you've clumped the colors so it feels more organic than mechanical

Similar Missions

1. My first custom cards
    By MoonSylver in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 15:15
  2. Custom cards
    By Jimmy Doolittle in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 03:45
  3. My First Custom Plane!
    By Aero825 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16