Ares Games

Thread: Pfalz Dxii - Vfw Ludwig Marchner, Jasta 32b

Default Pfalz Dxii - Vfw Ludwig Marchner, Jasta 32b

I have just finished my latest Shapeways plane - a Pfalz Dxii. I had a good look around the net at various colour schemes but I did not find too many that inspired me very much - then I found this picture which I liked and decided to reproduce in 1/144 scale. The pilot is Vfw Ludwig Marchner from Jasta 32b.

kudos to Guntruck for identifying the pilot!

Pix of the model further down the page!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pfalz d 12 cvr.jpg  
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 11-26-2012 at 04:35.

I used some of Zoe's excellent decals for the camo on the wings, but since these decals had been designed for the the Fokker Dvii, they did not fit very well, as you can see from the second set of pictures. I did get a bit frustrated in getting the decals around the struts. Each wing surface took about an hour to decal and that is not counting the gap and overpainting i needed to do (as you can see in the pix).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pfalz dxii  4.jpg   pfalz dxii  3.jpg   pfalz dxii  1.jpg  

Here are some pix of the finished plane. I am really pleased with the finished Pfalz. Thanks to Zoe for the wing decals & fuselage maltese crosses. The "M" decals are by 1/144 direct.

Overall I am very happy the way this plane turned out & I think it looks quite a lot like the one in the painting.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pfalz dxii  20.jpg   pfalz dxii  16.jpg   pfalz dxii  17.jpg   pfalz dxii  18.jpg   pfalz dxii  15.jpg  

pfalz dxii  14.jpg   pfalz dxii  13.jpg   pfalz dxii  12.jpg   pfalz dxii  11.jpg   pfalz dxii  10.jpg  

Exclamation

G'day Nigel!
    Mate I cant help with the pilot but in my old Profile Publications book on the D.XII there is a colour profile of a purple nosed Pfalz with the same colour tail & the letter K which was flown by Ltn Max Kammerer of Jasta 35 so it might be a safe bet that the Purple Noses were the Jasta Colour. The M is then probably the first letter of the Pilots surname but unfortunately I can add no other details. Incidently Kammerers Aircraft had an Olive Green top wing & two white stripes on a diagonal with the front of the stripe starting just to the side of the fuselarge with the wider angle to the rear & a similar but Black stripe on the lozenge on the bottom of the lower wing. I assume he was the Commander or Kette leader.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    G'day Nigel!
    Mate I cant help with the pilot but in my old Profile Publications book on the D.XII there is a colour profile of a purple nosed Pfalz with the same colour tail & the letter K which was flown by Ltn Max Kammerer of Jasta 35 so it might be a safe bet that the Purple Noses were the Jasta Colour. The M is then probably the first letter of the Pilots surname but unfortunately I can add no other details. Incidently Kammerers Aircraft had an Olive Green top wing & two white stripes on a diagonal with the front of the stripe starting just to the side of the fuselarge with the wider angle to the rear & a similar but Black stripe on the lozenge on the bottom of the lower wing. I assume he was the Commander or Kette leader.
    Thanks Barry! I am aware of Max Kammerer's plane with the "K". This one could indeed also be from Jasta 35. I did initially wonder if it might be a plane flown by Carl Menckhoff, as he had an "M" on his Fokker Dvii. But I have not been able to find any information on him with a Pfalz Dxii and now think it unlikely as he was shot down in his fokker by Walter Avery of 95th Aero Squadron and captured.

Well Nigel, in spite of your problems with the wing decal cammo, you have made a jolly good job of a rather attractive aircraft.
    I'm only sorry that I can't help thus far with identifying its pilot.
    Rob.

Great paint job Nigel - wish I could help on identifying the pilot.

Exclamation

Here is the Profile Pic of the "K" Pfalz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Pfalz D.XII Profile.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	66724

Ill check through my new Phalz book tonight for you, see if that sheds any light

Pilot is Vfw Ludwig Marchner, Jasta 32b. There is a profile of this plane in Osprey's Pfalz Aces book.

Edit: And good paintjob!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Pilot is Vfw Ludwig Marchner, Jasta 32b. There is a profile of this plane in Osprey's Pfalz Aces book.

Edit: And good paintjob!
    Excellent work Steve, thanks for finding the name of this pilot.

Exclamation

Hi Nigel!
    I posted your query over on the Aerodrome Historical Forum & yes Guntruck is 100% correct (as usual )

Greg van Wyndgarden (of Osprey fame) answered the query as well as Rainer Anton. Greg added that the M was in pale Blue.

Nigel, your work was definitely worth it, a very pretty plane indeed. Lloyd

Hi Nigel!
    Guntruck is 100% correct (as usual )
    If you ask Mrs Guntruck I think you will find I am rarely correct - in anything!

Greg van Wyndgarden (of Osprey fame) answered the query as well as Rainer Anton. Greg added that the M was in pale Blue
    If I recall correctly, Osprey said it was Bavarian (cornflower?) Blue in shade

I've always liked this plane and appreciated the actual ones existing, even with 'funny' paint jobs, at the Air and Space Museum and in Seattle.

I'm wondering about the plane's performance in WoW terms. I know Blue Max had it mirror image the Se5 (one of the oddest errors I've ever seen) and someone else had it use the same deck as the Pfalz D-III... but what does the group think about how it should perform?

According to Richthofen, who tested the plane, the only problem he found with it was the height it lost in a 180* turn. He said it compared well with the Fok. DVII in level flight and could outdive the Fokker. Other pilots found it "sluggish". The Pfalz in the Smithsonian is painted in the colors it wore in the movie Dawn Patrol.

Thanks for performance mentions. I knew about the paint scheme (and wish they sold the video that they show with all the old flying movie clips).

The Seattle Pfalz has a nice display nearby about movie planes, showing both 'originals' and the slightly more modern planes mocked up to look like originals, with a 'quiz' portion.

As to WoW performance, I see the committee has given this the "Q" deck (used by the Austrian Aviatik in "Hit and Run,"). Will give that a look (as that plane has not seen a lot of action-- tho if I will get around to painting the Shapeways version I got, it would see a lot more.)

Hi Nigel!
    I posted your query over on the Aerodrome Historical Forum & yes Guntruck is 100% correct (as usual )

Greg van Wyndgarden (of Osprey fame) answered the query as well as Rainer Anton. Greg added that the M was in pale Blue.
    at the moment my "M" is in a pale white. Maybe I will think about overpainting it but i suspect that I would not get the lines as straight.

Nigel, another great build. Nice job on covering the areas exposed by the decal. Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydthegamer View Post
    Nigel, another great build. Nice job on covering the areas exposed by the decal. Lloyd
    I painted a colour band, then decalled it then painted the next band & decalled it etc so that I could get the same proportions of colour and the decals in the same position within the band as in the picture. Also I could not find a mauve paint that I liked, so i mixed my own.

That's a nice mauve, and a great plane overall too!

Painstaking work, but the final product is worth it. Lloyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    I painted a colour band, then decalled it then painted the next band & decalled it etc so that I could get the same proportions of colour and the decals in the same position within the band as in the picture. Also I could not find a mauve paint that I liked, so i mixed my own.

Similar Missions

1. WSF Phalz DXII
    By Boney10 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 02:43
  2. Pfalz Dr.I?
    By Capt Croft in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 15:45