Ares Games

Thread: Bombs Over Dover

Default Bombs Over Dover

Editor's Foreword. This was a prototype scenario of a single England Squadron Gotha carrying 7x50Kg bombs launching a diversionary raid on Dover in mid-1917. The Hun has been spotted, and three elderly DH2s in use by a training squadron at Hawkinge have set out to intercept. Please forgive the "dodgy" scenery and the fact that I haven't yet re-painted a Gotha in England Squadron colours - we also used a prototype bomb-load spread template.

Sirs,

I have the honour to report the outcome of the recent raid on Dover by a lone Gotha, and it's interception by three of our brave lads in elderly DH2s. The Gotha was spotted by a Royal Navy destroyer about 10 miles out from Dover, and a message was quickly passed to the Training Squadron based at Hawkinge. Three instructors, led by Captain Hurst, took to the air in DH2s and sped towards Dover.

They spotted the Gotha about 2 miles out to sea, and raced to intercept. With great skill they managed to put the Gotha in the centre of a vortex of fire, but were horrified to see it fly through their formation apparently unharmed! One DH2 suffered a jammed gun, but the other two turned and pursued the bomber. Unfortunately the rear gunner proved very skilled, sending one DH2 crashing into the English Channel just short of Dover - although I am pleased to report that the pilot was rescued by a RN launch from Dover harbour.

Almost immediately after this the Gotha's rear machine gun stopped firing abruptly, and the gunner was seen hammering his Spandau - obviously attempting to clear a jam! The remaining DH2s pressed home their attack, and the Gotha burst into flame! It immediately began a slow dive towards Dover - we assume in an attempt to both put out the fire and escape the deadly-accurate fire of our pilots.

As soon as the bomber crossed the coast it turned and dropped all 7 of it's bombs, seemingly at random as they fell across the residential area of Dover, and not one hit a target of any military value such as the docks or the castle. Angered by this evidence of the Hun's willingness to bomb innocent civilians our pilots once again pressed home the attack, and were rewarded by the Gotha falling to earth in flames.

Sad to relate that parts of the enemy machine fell on the Western Heights, and one engine fell amongst some supply trucks destined for the Western Front. Please pass FO Kyte our apologies as his consignment of Gin was destroyed - there will be a few days delay as we arrange for replacement bottles.

Civilian casualties were fortunately light, and we hope that the Hun has learnt that they cannot attack our coastal towns with impunity.

Editors Afterword. We all enjoyed the scenario, and the spreader template provided an extra element of uncertainty with the actual bombing. I think the balance was slightly off, but a Gotha is probably too much for 2 DH2s. I hope to get a better (i.e. larger) map of Dover for future use. NOTE - photos posted below
    Last edited by Archidamus; 11-18-2012 at 12:47.

Photos:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Target Dover.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	66136
    The Target - Dover

Name:	DH2s Intercept 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	66137
    The DH2s intercept the Gotha at sea

Name:	Head On Pass.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	66138
    The head-on pass

Name:	Gotha Breaks Through.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	66139
    The Gotha breaks through

Name:	DH2 Down.jpg 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	66140
    DH2 down!

Name:	Gotha Ablaze.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	66141
    Gotha ablaze!

Name:	Bomba Away Template.jpg 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	66142
    Bombs away template

Name:	Dover Devastated.jpg 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	66143
    Dover devastated! - sorry the yellow flames don't stand out enough

Name:	Gotha Coup De Grace.jpg 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	66144
    Coup de grace

A very impressive show by your boys Brian.
    The loss of my Gin was a small price to pay for bringing down one of the Englisher Squadron Gothas.
    Congratulate yor pilots on an excellent effort. I will be forwarding my recommendations to Home Defence Establishment forthwith. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I will be unable to forward to you the usual crate of G&T.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    ... Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I will be unable to forward to you the usual crate of G&T.
    Kyte.
    I could have sworn I saw an extra crate of G&T in the mess next to the personal crate of milk I ordered for the party tomorrow night...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I could have sworn I saw an extra crate of G&T in the mess next to the personal crate of milk I ordered for the party tomorrow night...
    Don't worry Ken - it might take a bit longer than anticipated for the Home Defence boys to find spare crates of G&T to send over the Channel

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Sorry Ken.
    Those were just my empties.
    Kyte.

Great Mission and a nice AAR, Brian.

Only "B"-firing Airco DH.2 vs a Gotha is a hard match.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Great Mission and a nice AAR, Brian.

Only "B"-firing Airco DH.2 vs a Gotha is a hard match.
    Agreed - and I am not sure that we have got the balance right yet.

The idea behind the match was that 3 DH2s give the defenders 3 B guns and 39 damage points to the Gotha's 2 and 27 - and that the 1.5 metres that the Gotha had to fly in each direction to reach Dover / fly back out of range would give plenty of time for damage to accumulate and bring the giant down.

The actual result was a bit of a fluke in that the Gotha took a lot of "3" hits early on, and it's rear gun jammed just when it might have brought down a second DH2.

I also plan on a 2 Gotha raid on Dover - when some A firing scouts are definitely needed!

Smile

Great AAR Brian & a very brave crew from that Training Squadron.

Swarming tactics paid off this time, although with such undergunned scouts against the beast it was a mission against the odds. Well done.
    I see the Gotha's rear gunner got two jams at least while your fighters didn't get any, am I right? Lucky bullet checkers

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great AAR Brian & a very brave crew from that Training Squadron.
    They certainly were Barry - and reading "First Blitz" inspired me to try this as the early raids were obviously challenged by obsolete scouts (even though I am not sure that DH2s were actually involved)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Swarming tactics paid off this time, although with such undergunned scouts against the beast it was a mission against the odds. Well done.
    I see the Gotha's rear gunner got two jams at least while your fighters didn't get any, am I right? Lucky bullet checkers
    Not quite Andrzej - one of the DH2s jammed in the initial head-on pass, but as it then took 4 cards to get back in to position that didn't affect anything. The Gotha rear gun did indeed jam twice, and this probably sealed it's fate as the DH2s stayed on it's tail, and avoided the front gunner for all but a couple of long-range shots when the bomber turned unexpectedly.

I enjoyed reading your AAR, Brian. I like the story setup in your describing that it was a training squadron desperately scrambled to intercept the Gotha. Such descriptions help a game to be better "new gamer bait" at a con.

This one has me excited to get the aircos and bombers on the table!

Similar Missions

1. Kite Balloon Ship 'Menelaus' at Dover, WWI
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 00:53
  2. Cliffs of Dover Map from the file section
    By Marechallannes in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-05-2012, 03:15
  3. Cliffs of Dover
    By Crysagon in forum German Wing
    Replies: 6