Ares Games

Thread: Postcards from WW1

Default Postcards from WW1

Maybe interesting for thoose who fly for the Kaiser . War postcards the father of my grandma sended home from the Front...very pathetic covers with prayers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0076.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	66093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0077.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	66094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0078.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	66095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0079.jpg 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	66096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0080.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	66097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0081.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	66098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0082.jpg 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	66099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0083.jpg 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	66100
    My grandma's dad and her father in law are fallen at Verdun and never be found..

Name:	Scannen0084.jpg 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	66101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0085.jpg 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	66102
    Last edited by Crysagon; 11-18-2012 at 12:32.

Very pathetic but interesting postcards. Thx for sharing these family memories.

Attilio

Very interesting; I'm not sure I'd want a postcard with this pic on it ("glad you'er not here"?), but I'm sure any news that a loved one is still alive is good news.
    Thank you for sharing this bit of family history.
    Karl

Very poignant and also emotive postcards, which must mean a great deal to you Patrick.
    I was very lucky in that both my Grandfathers and my Great Uncle came through the conflict.
    Thank you for sharing these with us.
    I hope it serves to remind us all that there are always heart breaking stories on both sides in any war.
    Rob.

Translations of the texts, please? Two years of HS German isn't up to the task....

Thumbs up

Thank you Patrick for sharing those family treasures. Very Moving.
    I was fortunate my father, who was an original Anzac, survived the war & fathered me in his early middle age.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I always find it very touching & poignant to hear stories, see faces, artifacts, etc of the men who served & fell.

I thought I'd share some cards that my Grandad sent my Gran during the war and just after. The first two I find very poignant. The last two were produced in Cologne when he was with the army of occupation - he's the one on the left in those. He lied about his age to join up.

Great momentos Steve.
    Thanks for allowing us the privilege of sharing them.
    Rob.

THANKS CHAPS, the cards are very interesting. It's great you treasure them. Wonderful family stories from those years.

Name:	John Pudelka WW1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	66347
    Not a post card but something of my grandfather from WWI. 23rd Rgt of the Czech Legion.
    Last edited by BobP; 11-20-2012 at 15:38.

Those are very nice to have to remember those who fought

Yes, we have to remember...you first die when no one remembers you

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

I hear and very much so approve on the concept of remembering. My grandfather, Mom's dad, was an engineer with the Old Hickory Brigade (National Guard), the first US unit to be sent to France and the last one brought home. He left out of Nova Scotia on a Brit troop ship and cam back through Charleston, SC. He never would talk much about what happened over there, but the tales he would tell about the reunions; WOW.

He passed in 1975 and I miss him still. He was the grandfather who ALWAYS had time for his grandchildren no matter what was going on. My brother still has the letter, framed with the envelope, that he was given from the king welcoming him and his fellow US officers into the war.

My family has recently been sifting through my grandfather's albums and such and we found a bunch of letters that he wrote home to his sister while he was stationed in the South Pacific during WWII. It is such an interesting thing, I feel like I know him better by reading those letters and seeing the pictures, but at the same time it is maddening because I have so many questions and no one to answer them. I lived with him for 5 years and I'm just now finding these things out about his experiences! I'm with you guys, it is very important to remember.

dear diceslinger,
    i can really feel like you do. my grandpa...my avatar.... was a general major in ww2 at the gebirgsjaeger and after war one of the founders of the bundeswehr. he passed away when i was 7.... well i dont know if he would have told me from his war expieriences but i have so much questions today, and sometimes i miss him a lot...

I have many memories of my grandpa taking me hiking and picking mushroom and berries. Can never loose them. Keep them in your heart and they are still with us.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob in Florida
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for sharing these.

I did post these pictures of both my Grandfathers and Great Uncle some time ago but am not sure if the hacker got at them, so felt this was an appropriate time to repeat them.

Name:	Great Uncle and Grandad.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	66385

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 11-22-2012 at 04:11.

Thanks to all who posted ,,,those are super!

Similar Missions

1. Old postcards...a black and white time-machine
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 17:47