Ares Games
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wings of Glory Aerodrome Grand Tour 2012 - 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I suspect she was given her first job by Mary's sister Elizabeth Arden.
    She worked along the coast of the English Chanel.

Any updates on the planes progress? Has been some time since the last post.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    All flights after the 10th Dec were suspended Bob, until the Christmas backlog clears, so you can look forward to an update after January Ist.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Probably difficult to spot in amongst the perfume/cosmetic-oriented puns......

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Boney10 (Chris) has got it, and will hang on to it after Chrimbo unless you'se two want to arrange a pick-up that doesn't involve Royal Mail intervention? Chris did say that work may prevent him from getting a pic until after Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Sorry for delay chaps, been chasing penguins around my back garden, little blighters escaped and as I'm not a Gardner in any way shape or form, it looks like an Amazonian jungle.
    The Caproni is currently residing in South Glos, the official title of my area, but I am only a few miles from Bristol centre.
    I hope to get a pic of the Caproni passing near the SS Great Britain before it will go into deepest Gloucestershire in the new year

Am working 31, 1, 2 & 3 Jan, sleeping 4 Jan will be out getting an updated flight 5 Jan then its of to Gloucestershire :0

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Am working 31, 1, 2 & 3 Jan,
    If it's any consolation I've just been given the afto off

Thinks: probably isn't

Again, if its any consolation I'm not back in the office until the 8th

Just finished my 7th Shapeways plane of the holidays (plus a 15mm British 1930s battlegroup), four to go!

Curses, with his Great Britain snap Chris has pinched my idea, but another one is forming......

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Again, if its any consolation I'm not back in the office until the 8th

Just finished my 7th Shapeways plane of the holidays (plus a 15mm British 1930s battlegroup), four to go!

Curses, with his Great Britain snap Chris has pinched my idea, but another one is forming......
    Boats were not the only things that Brunel was famous for Dave.

Rob.

Boats were not the only things that Brunel was famous for Dave
    Yes, its a pity we aren't doing this a bit later when the Bristol Aero Collection has found anew home and is on display. That would be ideal.

Filton airfield is now closed I believe, but Maybe Dave can use the SS GB as Filton is closer, Ill check the weather and let you know

Don't worry, you take the GB, I'll head for Gloucester (as I'm in God's Wonderful Realm now I ought to use an example close to home - its a pity the aero collection at Staverton is closed at the moment (but for good reason - they have at last got approval to build the new air museum there!), bit I might try to get a long to their restoration hangar (could be a problem though, they don't like piccies for anything other than personal use, and publishing on the internet, even in a forum like this, might annoy them)

If not I have several other ideas

You chaps are spoilt for choice down there what with the Suspension Bridge, the RAC tower and Tyndall Monument ,Cheltenham Pump rooms, Gloucester Cathederal etc.
    I had a choice between Albert Ball, Robin Hood, and Hucknall Aerodrome. Even Rolls -Royce is in Derby, and they have demolished the Royal Ordnance Factory.
    Rob.

Just remembered there is a long nosed restaurant at Filton, if not moved and can get close enough

Thanks for the update and look forward to news on the progress. And all have a Happy New Year.

Ah Mon Dieu Will zis Etalian plane ever cross ze Channel ??
    . We will have surrendered and gone for ow you say Lunch before it gets ici

Paul

Mais Mon Ami, you've apparently not tried to deal with Le Mail Royeux over the Xmas period! Patience and more cidre pour vous, s'il vous plait.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 01-02-2013 at 08:50.

I wonder a litttle bit, that the Royal Mails is so unreliable two weeks before Christmas and between the holidays.

Recieved my parcels in time with Deutsche Post and DHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I wonder a litttle bit, that the Royal Mails is so unreliable two weeks before Christmas and between the holidays.

Recieved my parcels in time with Deutsche Post and DHL.
    We are actually dealing with Parcel Force here Sven. Commonly known as Parcel Farce. They are unreliable at the best of times, and over Christmas careless in the extreme.
    Rob.

i think a lot of this is traditional British moaning. I posted and received masses of mail over Christmas, no problems with anything, speedy service

reminds me of a trip on the Paris Metro a few years back. Me, a Dutch colleague and a Frenchman. Train was delayed for half an hour due to points failure. Frenchman complained that French trains were rubbish, not as good as British and Dutch. Dutch bloke said what are you talking about, ours are crap, Brits are great". I was astounded (but quietly thinking how good the Dutch ones were!)

Not a patch on Swiss trains though. No-one else comes close

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Mais Mon Ami, you've apparently not tried to deal with Le Mail Royeux over the Xmas period! Patience and more cidre pour vous, s'il vous plait.
    Non le vin rouge toujours pour moi mon copine.
    French post is good but a tad expensive The postman can still track down an address in a village with no house numbers and if you leave your mail to be posted next to the box he will take them backto the PO for you.
    Paul

We are actually dealing with Parcel Force here Sven. Commonly known as Parcel Farce. They are unreliable at the best of times, and over Christmas careless in the extreme.
    Rob.
    I'm definitely with Rob on this one! Just found out that a parcel from Fantasy Flight Games has been sitting with ParcelFarce since 6th December, but was sent back to the States yesterday as it was not collected. The reason it was uncollected? Because the lazy b*****ds couldn't be bothered to put a note through my letterbox telling me that they had it. Just about to go up their depot to have a 'chat'.

I'm definitely with Rob on this one! Just found out that a parcel from Fantasy Flight Games has been sitting with ParcelFarce since 6th December, but was sent back to the States yesterday as it was not collected. The reason it was uncollected? Because the lazy b*****ds couldn't be bothered to put a note through my letterbox telling me that they had it. Just about to go up their depot to have a 'chat'.
    Sorry that happened to you as well Steve. Both I and my son Jim have had that happen to us because some clutz did not put a note through, Mine went back Stateside and his order of High Speed steel went back to Norway, and that cost a pretty penny to send back here again.
    It would not be so bad if they read the note that always accompanies my order to say if out deliver to No 14 where the elderly lady is always in, but they don't.
    the best one was one day when i sat painting in the room overlooking the street, saw the van pull up, write the note and put it through without even trying to ring or knock. By the time I got to the door the van was at the end of the road.
    However, in support of my local mail postman, I can say that he is admirable. He will even wave the car down as we leave the estate if he has a package that is too large for the mailbox, or something he thinks is important.
    Rant over because I can see him coming across the road as I type this.
    Rob.

I sent a package to someone in the room in Europe and it also came back to me as uncollected. He never replied that he even heard it was in this Post Office.

How about e mailing the recipient when the package is sent. if it is by normal mail i stand a good chance of getting it but if it is courier the odds are less
    with a heads up at least you can anticipate a cock up

Paul

..... Just about to go up their depot to have a 'chat'.
    For some reason that made me think of this Gunners....

So my dear comrades...

Where is the Penguin Caproni now???

Hostaged by a French postman, sitting in a Dutch train with destination Amsterdam to catch a plane back to the States?

Sven, are you the one who awaits the Caproni now?

No.

I think it lands ins Poland or Sweden first, before it travels to Germany.

Instead of all this guesswork, it might be nice if the chap who last posted it could let us know where it is now.
    Rob.

Ok chaps, the Caproni has today been for a visit to Filton Airfield, which was a wartime base, here it has been pictured with another Fameous aircraft.
    This week it will be leaving Bristol and heading to a deepest Gloucestershire.
    Unfortunately there has been a week of delay , as well as the Xmas & New Year holidays, a touch of illness as well as weather and real life taking a slice ofmy time.
    But the journey begins again.Pics will be posted shortly
    Last edited by Boney10; 01-15-2013 at 06:35.

Instead of all this guesswork, it might be nice if the chap who last posted it could let us know where it is now.
    Rob.
    [Engage lie mode, lie mode engaged]No guesswork involved. Mission control in Basildon knows exactly where it is at any time [Disengage lie mode]

It was only because of the extended stay in the West country over Xmas (and the fact that the penguins had to go to Weightwatchers to lose the Xmas pounds/kilos they put on before they could take off) that made progress a bit hazy to everyone.

But as Chris says, it's on its way again, one more UK stop and then it heads for Europe. France first, where apparently Tikkifriend's postie is so good you don't need to give a house number, just the name of the village . And:

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    if you leave your mail to be posted next to the box he will take them back to the PO for you.
    Paul
    Yeah, if we leave ours by the post box, it disappears as well.

I would tell you the route after that, but the company internet has blocked me getting at my message box on the grounds that it contains "gaming" - well, duh! I'll have a look tonight when I get on my own computational machine.

Thanks Gunners.

I knew you were on top of your game! Pity your Company Internet does not realize the fact.
    You want to try getting kids to do research on school moderated computers if you want real frustration.
    It will be great to follow the Spring progress of the penguins as they migrate South for the Antipodean winter.
    At least they will be to late to get co-opted into water bombing the Bush fires, which hopefully are dying down now.
    Thanks for the update.
    Rob.

If the penguins are bound for Europe I'll have to start preparing ... The lads want to throw them a party as soon as they land here( stocking up on herring as we speak...We're just a bit in the dark about what they drink)

Give 'em this Alex:

Right, now at home with a sensible computer (or as sensible as it can be with Windows 8) and I see that the European order was not finalised (other than France). So I have asked the Commanding Officer to pull the country names out of my Buckeye Gamers mug, and the running order is: France > Sweden > Germany > Belgium > Poland. Unfortunately this lumbers Andrzej with the cost of sending it to New Zealand. Andrzej if that's a problem, let me know.

After NZ it's Aus, Canada and the U.S.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 01-15-2013 at 09:39.

Awaiting arrival in Gloucestershire. All being well it will be snapped with an object which, I think, will get a point across

(no prozes for sussing out that poorly cryptic clue as to where I'm going with it though).

It's not a problem at all, Steve It's just an order to follow The penguins will be sent to my friends down under as soon as I can find a nice landmark here!

Last time we had an aircraft go from Poland to New Zealand it took nearly two months.
    Perhaps Aussie before NZ i'm happy to send it to Canada.
    Linz

The Caproni has just flown in to Staverton Airport, Gloucester. Despite the snow and bad weather (and snowploughs on the runway) she made a perfect landing. We see her ehere on final approach.

Following a quick refuel (and a cup of tea at the Aviator Cafe) the Caproni made a quick flight in formation for her official photocall with the Vulcan that lives here (we'd hoped for the Javelin, as a local made aircraft, but she's been moved in preparation for the opening of the new air museum here), before making her preps for the flight over the Channel to la belle France! Her intrepid crew of DJ-wearing avians is awaiting a break in the weather, but hopes to be in the air again very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    The Caproni has just flown in to Staverton Airport, Gloucester. Despite the snow and bad weather (and snowploughs on the runway) she made a perfect landing. We see her ehere on final approach.
    Well done to:
    - The Nav for getting them there in the snowy conditions (as he did before Xmas to Bucks)
    - Biggles for getting the Caproni safely on the deck despite the ice
    - The groundcrew for a quick turn.

BZ to all!

Good landing, David. Very nice pictures
    Last edited by Nightbomber; 01-18-2013 at 09:19.

Good to see the little chaps are on the way again !

Bon voyage my little feathered chums. I'm sure they are right at home in all this snow, which is more than can be said for me.
    Time for tea preferably with a G in it.
    Kyte.

And well done Dave for freezing his bits off in the snow to get the pics!

Well the journey begins anew. Safe flight and landing at the next spot.

Thumbs up

Probably in the fog somewhere over the channel.

Safe landings chaps!

Where are they now?
    Rob.
    We are over here in France Rob, got blown over the Channel by the Gales on Tuesday. We wull be off to colder climes in the next few days (Sweden!!)

Lead penquin.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    We are over here in France Rob, got blown over the Channel by the Gales on Tuesday. We wull be off to colder climes in the next few days (Sweden!!)

Lead penquin.
    Great to hear from you Pingu.
    Do send us a picture of your exploits so far and stop playing Wings of Glory at every Drome you land at. I've been watching you. It is a bad example to set for your crew if you don't let them join in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pingu13a.gif 
Views:	75 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	73404

Kyte.

Just browsing through 'Wargames Illustrated' in my local newsagents and on page 7 spotted a small article on the World Tour with a nice picture of the penguins in full flight in the Caproni with some details of the Aerodrome site as well.
    Don

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. THE GRAND WORLD TOUR & LEND-LEASE 2013
    By Guntruck in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 13:48
  2. Wings of Glory Aerodrome turns 3!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 11:30
  3. Wings of War/Glory at Vul-Con 2012!