Ares Games
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wings of Glory Aerodrome Grand Tour 2012 - 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Replaced the heather and bottle of now stale piss.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BearGrylls.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	67388

"Are you going to drink that?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Dave's picture is really great (how the hell you took it, without tossing the thing, chap?).
    I think you'll find that was the 'magic' of Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Cool items (not impacted by customs) could be passed on to HQ for inclusion to the final winner . . . just thinkin out loud . . . Clipper
    That would indeed be the to handle it. That way the sender pays the shipping costs and the Drome would cover the final grand shipping costs at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper
    Cool items (not impacted by customs) could be passed on to HQ for inclusion to the final winner . . . just thinkin out loud . . . Clipper
    I'd like to second this motion, if it's possible that is

Indeed, a couple of members have offered to donate items and I've asked them to send them direct to Keith, either to use as part of the raffle prize with the plane, or as a separate prize.

On a slightly different note, given the nightmare that is Royal Mail over Chrimbo, I will ask whoever has the Caproni on about the 10th December to hang on to it until after the Christmas holidays - just to be safe.

And jolly decent of Rob to return the bottle to Gaz.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    jolly decent of Rob to return the bottle to Gaz.
    Which I will do if I get his snail-mail address.
    Rob.

Do with it as you wish Rob, only cost Ł1, I would say drink it but it's a bit on the small side!

Something to look out for in January.

Reply from Wargames Illustrated:

Hi Steve

Sounds like a good bit of co-operative fun. Thanks for the information, we hope to run this in the News section of our February issue.

Cheers
    Dave Taylor
    US Editor
    Wargames Illustrated

Something to look out for in January.

Reply from Wargames Illustrated:

Hi Steve

Sounds like a good bit of co-operative fun. Thanks for the information, we hope to run this in the News section of our February issue.

Cheers
    Dave Taylor
    US Editor
    Wargames Illustrated
    Well done Squadron Leader. that is a coup.
    Rob.

Mission Update.

Penguins have now completed sight seeing tour of Nottingham.
    The aircraft is fuelled up and will take to the air tomorrow heading South to Balders in Bucks, weather permitting.

Yes! The birds are flying South for the winter.
    Kyte.

Hope to get them south east quite soon
    Great we do not have any long distance flights here in Europe. My last parcel with some minis to user Xen in Australia traveled 3 months. I had sent it on Sep. 4th. It left Poland on Sep. 13th and he got it yesterday He said it looked like it had been shelled by archie, but fortunately the contents was untouched!

So the plane is on the way. I guess we get to see how the mail service is around the world.

Here we see the Caproni leaving Nottingham on its journey South watched by Albert Ball.

Name:	Albert Ball Statue.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	67868

Kyte.

What a picture!!! Rob, that's a brilliant idea!

Tossing?

What a picture!!! Rob, that's a brilliant idea!

Tossing?
    No! A bit of Photoshop work by my son.
    I will put the originals in my Album.
    Rob.

OK. I have no idea how the Photoshop works and won't learn that stuff.
    I will toss...

OK. I have no idea how the Photoshop works and won't learn that stuff.
    I will toss...
    Toss at your peril, matey

Joking of course. I'll treasure the bird, you know

Joking of course. I'll treasure the bird, you know
    I think that Gunners' big grin also means that he was joking too Andrzej.
    So quite enough joking and grinning you two, and back to your aircraft. Don't you know there's a war on.
    Kyte.

Don't you know there's a war on.
    Kyte.
    There was last night when SWMBO took delivery of another large box of aircraft on my behalf, third this week

There was last night when SWMBO took delivery of another large box of aircraft on my behalf, third this week

Good one Steve.
    Rob.

Penguins touched down in South Bucks on 7 Dec, preceded by a front of (ant)arctic wx which must have slowed their progress south from Notts in IMC. Well done to the Nav! Quite fortunate that their crate would have been used to cold flights over the Alps too, so a good dusting of snow here probably felt quite familiar to all concerned.

While WWII-related sites abound in this area, there's very little that's photogenic on the WWI side, so a short road trip was required this afternoon to get them back 'in the mood'.

After presentation with RFC shoulder titles, the Caproni and crew have now been refuelled in anticipation of their departure for the West Country on Monday (wx permitting), where I assume they will overwinter.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 12-08-2012 at 12:18.

Thanks Balders. Yes, I guess they will be spending Xmas in the West country.

And we have another pilot signed up - LewdDude (Ron) from the U.S.

Good to hear that they made the journey satisfactorily as they departed here in quite high spirits thanks to the hospitality of the Wingco.
    I'm sure they will benefit from a break in the South, before departing for the Continent.
    Rob.

Are we tracking the plane like they do Santa on Xmas? Could get a map and show where it has been and where it is off to. Matbe something for you really smarter than I am people.

Default Lt Frank McNamara VC, Australian Forces, RFC

Wasn't happy with the photos I took yesterday, so did a reattack today. Fortunately the wx held!

Name:	B62 - McNamara VC 2.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	68482

Name:	P00336_001McNamara.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	68483

The first and only VC awarded to an Australian airman in World War I, McNamara's decoration was promulgated in the London Gazette on 8 June 1917:
    War Office, 8th June, 1917.
    His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Victoria Cross to the under-mentioned Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men:
    Lt. Frank Hubert McNamara, Aus. Forces, RFC
    For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty during an aerial bomb attack upon a hostile construction train, when one of our pilots was forced to land behind the enemy's lines.
    Lt. McNamara, observing this pilot's predicament and the fact that hostile cavalry were approaching, descended to his rescue. He did this under heavy rifle fire and in spite of the fact that he himself had been severely wounded in the thigh.
    He landed about 200 yards from the damaged machine, the pilot of which climbed on to Lt. McNamara's machine, and an attempt was made to rise. Owing, however, to his disabled leg, Lt. McNamara was unable to keep his machine straight, and it turned over. The two officers, having extricated themselves, immediately set fire to the machine and made their way across to the damaged machine, which they succeeded in starting.
    Finally Lt. McNamara, although weak from loss of blood, flew this machine back to the aerodrome, a distance of seventy miles, and thus completed his comrade's rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Are we tracking the plane like they do Santa on Xmas? Could get a map and show where it has been and where it is off to. Matbe something for you really smarter than I am people.
    Only Gunners knows exactly where it is going.
    We only know from whom we are receiving it and to whom it is to be forwarded.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 12-12-2012 at 05:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Penguins aloft!
    My, that's quite a quick turn around Balders. You must be on top of your ground crew there in Bucks old chap.
    Kyte.

WoW! Is that for real? Did the penguins made such a quick flight to Australia? Great news, Baldrick and thanks for the pictures and McNamara's story.

The bird is still in England, Andrzej.

Lt Frank McNamara

Burial:
    St Joseph Priory
    Chalfont St Peter
    Buckinghamshire, England

It's his cunning plan.

So Balders, is this the photo I'll be putting in the album then?

where abouts in the West Country is it at the moment?
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    where abouts in the West Country is it at the moment?
    Paul
    Gloucester apparently. The new boundary changes moved Gloucs out West

Who has it now then? Gloucester is about 8 miles to the North North East of me (a brisk 2 hour walk up the canal from my house )

Baldrick's user flag misled me
    'Flags of convenience', as the captain of the Q-ship was heard to say! But no, I'm Oz born and bred; just living in Blighty.

Gloucester apparently. The new boundary changes moved Gloucs out West
    My god do not tell the Cornish or the Devon folk Anything north of Taunton is " where be Dragons'
    South of Brissol is the SW
    Paul

... is this the photo I'll be putting in the album then?
    Gunners,

Soz; please take your pick from this lot http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1854

BofB

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Who has it now then?
    Boney10 (Chris) has got it, and will hang on to it after Chrimbo unless you'se two want to arrange a pick-up that doesn't involve Royal Mail intervention? Chris did say that work may prevent him from getting a pic until after Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Gunners,

Soz; please take your pick from this lot http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1854

BofB
    Great. Grabbed a couple.

"Boney10 (Chris) has got it"

Ah, so not in Gloucester then
    Hopefully Chris and I and th team will be joining up over Christmas for a game of X Wing (only joking but with luck we'll get some WoW games in over the holidays)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    "Boney10 (Chris) has got it"

Ah, so not in Gloucester then
    His profile says he is

Is he not in fact living in the City and County of Bristol?
    I'm not quite sure where the border is up there?
    Rob.

Sorry for delay chaps, been chasing penguins around my back garden, little blighters escaped and as I'm not a Gardner in any way shape or form, it looks like an Amazonian jungle.
    The Caproni is currently residing in South Glos, the official title of my area, but I am only a few miles from Bristol centre.
    I hope to get a pic of the Caproni passing near the SS Great Britain before it will go into deepest Gloucestershire in the new year

Hi Chris.
    Glad they are in safe hans then. If they give you any more trouble try opening a tin of Pilchards, it worked for me.
    In Kyte's case a bottle of G&T always does the trick.

Glad we got the border thing sorted. I will amend my list to make you Senior Flight leader for Bristol and Gloucestershire.
    I never really did like that Avon thing. Made you sound too much like a sales person.
    Rob.

Smile

Hi Chris.
    Glad they are in safe hans then. If they give you any more trouble try opening a tin of Pilchards, it worked for me.
    In Kyte's case a bottle of G&T always does the trick.

Glad we got the border thing sorted. I will amend my list to make you Senior Flight leader for Bristol and Gloucestershire.
    I never really did like that Avon thing. Made you sound too much like a sales person.
    Rob.
    Bit of Trivia for you Rob!
    "Shakespear's wife was an Avon lady!"

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Bit of Trivia for you Rob!
    "Shakespear's wife was an Avon lady!"
    I suspect she was given her first job by Mary's sister Elizabeth Arden.
    Rob.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. THE GRAND WORLD TOUR & LEND-LEASE 2013
    By Guntruck in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 13:48
  2. Wings of Glory Aerodrome turns 3!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 11:30
  3. Wings of War/Glory at Vul-Con 2012!