Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strips for card decks

Lightbulb Strips for card decks

I had some time, an idea and I want to show you the result now. After fail with MS Excel, I did it in AutoCAD. I want to create something easier than CAD (MS Word or something like that) one day and allow using for other players.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0254.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	147191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0258.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	147192

Strips for card decks:

How to Articles:

Name:	DSC_0445.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	64876

Name:	IMAG0260.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	147190
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 11-22-2020 at 07:14.

Yet another innovative idea. That makes two of you on storage today Daniel.
    I must get around to identifying my trays like that.
    Rob.

Fantastic idea! Simple to make and very functional.

Please, do share.

Thank you, I want to continue with this. I must solve a small complication with printing from DWG to PDF (it makes it a little smaller). I want to start with WWII miniatures and continue to WWI miniatures, but it takes some time.
    If it is anyone who can work with AutoCAD, I can send him a source DWG file - just send me a PM.

Very smart idea, Dan. A Perfect order you have there.
    I used a different, yet simpler solution.
    1) made small permanent (different) marks on each card set, to prevent mixing them after play,
    2) sleeved the cards,
    3) bagged them in separate little ziplock transparent plastic bags,
    4) stored them in an empty big deluxe set box

Daniel that is a very smart solution & looks superb

Another cracking idea, wish I had the same computer skills, nicely done

Excellent idea that man!

A small preview of created WWII roundels. Do not be scared - many lines on the surface rings are normal. I will do them smaller and smaller and it will be OK ;-)

Name:	Roundels.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	64916

OK, the next step. I have not a printer at home, so I am seeking a volunteer who print PDF and measure if the stripe is 44 mm wide as well as a common WoG card. Anyone? I attach the PDF with 1st serie stripes.

1st serie part 2.pdf
    1st serie part 1.pdf

Very nice job!

This would be useful; I have noticed cards have a tendency to wander in the boxes, and rubber bands bend the cards.

Did enyone tried the first two files? I need a feedback.

Daniel - I have just printed them off (at work & finding things to keep me from what I should be doing )

They measure out at 38mm wide & 106mm long.

Hope that helps.

A simple idea, but which does exactly the right job - great work!
    Last edited by Shiraz68; 11-30-2012 at 06:22. Reason: Typo

Grewt, thank you for feedback. I can repair sizes now.

Very nice. I wish I was that organized.

I continue with work on this small project, but I have another problem - I can not find units for miniatures from the second and third series. Is there anyone who can write me (here?) units from all miniatures card of 2nd and 3rd serie? Thank you very much.

Now we need to get started on WW1 sleeves

I want to make WWI after WWII, but I want to finish WWII right now.

I need only these three for the completing of 2nd serie:
    1. Belgian Hurricane
    2. Russian Hurricane
    3. Takashi & Kozumi Aichi Val

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I want to make WWI after WWII, but I want to finish WWII right now.

I need only these three for the completing of 2nd serie:
    1. Belgian Hurricane
    2. Russian Hurricane
    3. Takashi & Kozumi Aichi Val
    Great news Daniel - thank you for your hard work so far

The project is still running. I just need some time. Hope the third serie of WWII should be this week. I can start with WWI after that. Hope I will find some complete sheet of pilots (BGG) and units (Aerodrome?).

Dear friends, I just finnished the set of strips for card decks of all WWII miniatures. Hope, you enjoy it!
    If you find a bug, please, send me a PM or write it here - I can repair it in short time. Feedback is also welcome - I want have them perfect
    Merry Advent colleagues.
    Daniel.

WWII - Strips for card decks.pdf

Excellent job Daniel and great idea.

Rich

Baron Von Smutz

Mate, awesome....doing some WW1 strips perchance

Very nice and organized Daniel!!!

OK, I continue creating strips for WWI (series 1-3 are completed), but I have another request - is there anyone who should measure wide of the "C" damage deck? It is only damage deck that I have not. Thank you very much!

OK, I continue creating strips for WWI (series 1-3 are completed), but I have another request - is there anyone who should measure wide of the "C" damage deck? It is only damage deck that I have not. Thank you very much!
    G'day Daniel - I'm guessing that you mean the height of the deck when the cards are stacked one on top of each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    G'day Daniel - I'm guessing that you mean the height of the deck when the cards are stacked one on top of each other?
    Exactly!
    Sorry for my mistakes in english, I am still in learning process (and I will be all my life).

Exactly!
    Sorry for my mistakes in english, I am still in learning process (and I will be all my life).
    Daniel, you are doing very well - I don't know a bean of Czech!

Daniel.
    If I am reading this correct you mean a C damage deck for WWI which you do not own.
    If you would like it I have a spare old WoW deck you can have. Say it is a present for all the work you have done for the chaps. If you would like it send me a PM with your address.
    The thickness is 5.2mm.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Daniel.
    If I am reading this correct you mean a C damage deck for WWI which you do not own.
    If you would like it I have a spare old WoW deck you can have. Say it is a present for all the work you have done for the chaps. If you would like it send me a PM with your address.
    The thickness is 5.2mm.
    Rob.
    Oh, this is unexpected, but really nice! The C Deck is the onky one that I have never had and I have reconciled with the fact that I wikk never have it. Thank you very much, this is true collegiality!

And thank you for the thickness too.
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 12-10-2012 at 02:12.

OK, my job is done. I created stripes for WWI minis too. I hope you find it useful. Thank you for all who supported me and gave me courage to finish it.

Attachment 68537

Thanks Daniel.

Great job

Richard

There we have a shining example of devotion to the Game and job well done for the community. , Daniel.

Many thanks again for all the work, time and thought that you have put in on this Daniel.
    Rob.

Great work! Is there any chance that you could add a 2x A damage sleeve, and a 2x B like you have for the 2x D deck? I always play with those two decks doubled and it would be handy to be able to store them like that.

Just downloaded my set Dan - a valuable contribution to the WoG community!

Just one comment: I notice there are two strips for MvR's Fokker Dr.1.

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    Great work! Is there any chance that you could add a 2x A damage sleeve, and a 2x B like you have for the 2x D deck? I always play with those two decks doubled and it would be handy to be able to store them like that.
    OK, I am in the right work mood this evening and I try it. Look at this PDF Shawn: WWI - Double Damage Decks.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Just downloaded my set Dan - a valuable contribution to the WoG community!

Just one comment: I notice there are two strips for MvR's Fokker Dr.1.
    Yes, there are - one for all red Dr.I from 1st serie (and Deluxe Set) and second for green&red from Revised Deluxe set. The Unit (Jasta 11) is same, pilot is same, but I had a space on papper and it is better to print it once than twice only for one duplicated card.
    But thank you for your feedback - if you can find another bug, please, report me.

OK, I am in the right work mood this evening and I try it. Look at this PDF Shawn: WWI - Double Damage Decks.pdf
    Thanks Dan! I'll try them out!

Dan, is there a possibility of providing blanks with just the national marking on it so that we could use them print up our own for repaints, F-Toys, Shapeways, Reviresco, Skytrex etc?

Dan-Sam, good start! If I may make a suggestion, consider adding the Idflieg C/N's on the two MvR tripes so people know what's up? (Red/Green is colors worn by c/n 152/17 and possibly others, the all-red is 425/17. (I've been playing with spreadsheets for collection and release tracking for a while, and I like to get all the way to the nuts and bolts of unit, pilot and serial number as far as possible, myself... though after WWI, many air services did away with the practice of assigning pilots specific aircraft and only painted names on the rails for morale, and photo-ops for the benefit of the folks back home--even at peak production, there just weren't enough for pilots to have the same attitudes WRT planes that US Marines do toward their rifles: "There are many just like it, but THIS one is MINE.")

Yes, it is. There is just one or two little complications with their versatility - some decks aer thickner than other (D.VII has more cards in the deck than Ufag etc.). How to get out? I can do 4 or 8 thickness (each 0,5 mm thicker than previous) with one marking, but the dimension would not be exact as now (+ - 0,25 mm). It is the way, but tell me what do you think about it? Is it OK?
    The other option is write me list of your planes with thickness and I can do it for you (in a week, two weeks, more, I can not say now). How many unoficial planesa do you have, Wayne?
    I can post here DWG files, but AutoCAD is an exensive profesional program for project works and not everyone has it. But it would be the most accurate way
    What do you think? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Dan-Sam, good start! If I may make a suggestion, consider adding the Idflieg C/N's on the two MvR tripes so people know what's up? (Red/Green is colors worn by c/n 152/17 and possibly others, the all-red is 425/17. (I've been playing with spreadsheets for collection and release tracking for a while, and I like to get all the way to the nuts and bolts of unit, pilot and serial number as far as possible, myself... though after WWI, many air services did away with the practice of assigning pilots specific aircraft and only painted names on the rails for morale, and photo-ops for the benefit of the folks back home--even at peak production, there just weren't enough for pilots to have the same attitudes WRT planes that US Marines do toward their rifles: "There are many just like it, but THIS one is MINE.")
    Fine, way till evening - I will make two different cards with serial numbers. Manfred von Richthoffen deserves it
    I understand "mine" syndrom and it like it - let's look at bombers in WWII - many beautifull pin up girls on their noses

Also, Dassault DraftSight is freeware and works with AutoCAD DWG's. A little learning-curve to it, and I haven't tried anything like text or symbols, but it might be something to check out. (I'm using it mainly to create striping masks for a pair of very special 1/48-scale F-15s I'm building.)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Also, Dassault DraftSight is freeware and works with AutoCAD DWG's. A little learning-curve to it, and I haven't tried anything like text or symbols, but it might be something to check out. (I'm using it mainly to create striping masks for a pair of very special 1/48-scale F-15s I'm building.)
    Really? That's a good news, I don't know about this freeware.
    Wait until evening - I will upload source DWG files here. But I have to write a comentary - How to print them via PDF (I have to make a little bigger for PDF for you [the process of printing to PDF makes strips a little smaller], if I print directly from DWG , it is OK), what are the correct ratios between roundels on the top and on the side and some others.
    I am glad you are interested in my little project for you.

Yes, it is. There is just one or two little complications with their versatility - some decks aer thickner than other (D.VII has more cards in the deck than Ufag etc.). How to get out? I can do 4 or 8 thickness (each 0,5 mm thicker than previous) with one marking, but the dimension would not be exact as now (+ - 0,25 mm). It is the way, but tell me what do you think about it? Is it OK?
    The other option is write me list of your planes with thickness and I can do it for you (in a week, two weeks, more, I can not say now). How many unoficial planesa do you have, Wayne?
    I can post here DWG files, but AutoCAD is an exensive profesional program for project works and not everyone has it. But it would be the most accurate way
    What do you think? Any ideas?
    Hm, have to think that one through for a bit so that you don't spend the rest of your life producing card strips, instead of serious gaming.

It depends on total number of your unofficial minis. 10 are not problem, 100 would take some time and 1000 are unreal Just make me a sheet with plane types, pilots, units, marking and thickness and I can try it.

It depends on total number of your unofficial minis. 10 are not problem, 100 would take some time and 1000 are unreal Just make me a sheet with plane types, pilots, units, marking and thickness and I can try it.
    I guess the standard F-Toys releases would be a logical starting point (for me anyway), but as soon as you get into repaints the number would increase exponentially is my guess - hence my thoughts about a blank template that would enable anyone to 'roll-their-own'. I'm guessing that a plane card plus a standard movement deck is going to be about the same for a Dr.1 no matter if it is Shapeways, Reviresco or brand-x and similarly for most of the popular aircraft.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. wanted: flight decks/damage decks/plane cards
    By boomerpete53 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 15:05
  2. Tactics in game and the different card decks
    By Lien Leposh in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 04:45
  3. Missing Photo card decks
    By darkwing in forum Hobby Room