Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incoming weather; tie the planes down

Exclamation Incoming weather; tie the planes down

I'd like to take a minute, and offer the hope that all our 'Drome-mates on the Mid-Atlantic and NE Coasts are battened down for the incoming storm. It looks like it will hit right on my old "home base" of the Jerseys, and I have relatives and friends still out there. So tie the planes down, and sandbag the bunkers.
    Be well, all.
    Karl

Sitting here now just overcast a a slight breeze. Nothing until later today. Thanks for your thoughts.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gyula
    Sorties Flown

Got the aerodrome cleared of loose items. Cleaned out the gutters as well.
    Breeze slowly picking up right now. Decide to hang out in the basement and play some games. Daughter wants to try to take down a Drachen. I'll be defending using an Eindecker. She'll be flying the DH 2.

With the increasing gusts this should be fun.

All my good wishes go to my 'drome mates closer to the coast. Ohio is supposed to catch the outer edge of it by Tuesday or Wednesday, but after Hurricane Ike we're still a bit gun shy. Hope everyone stays well & safe.

Still calm here in Laurel. Spent 5 years on Okinawa and many typhoons. Just hope power stays up but if not I have batteries and the beer is cold.

Hope all is well with you chaps. Will cross my fingers for you all.
    Rob.

God's speed everyone in the path.

Be safe everybody over there!

Thumbs up

Best wishes for a safe "weathering" of the Storm.
    Is it "Hurricane Season" over there now?

Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1st to November 30th, but remember this is more of a guideline than reality. Mother Nature brews em up whenever she wants to.

Been there, done that, hope y'all survive safe and sound.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all on the east coast .

Be safe!!

Satellite images are very impressive.

Attilio

Praying that it will soften up before it hits landfall.

Thomas

You guy and Girls are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Be safe!!

Satellite images are very impressive.

Attilio
    The system is massive encompassing close to 2000 miles and the diameter of the tropical storm/hurricane winds is 1000 mi

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Praying that it will soften up before it hits landfall.

Thomas

I think its supposed to intensify slightly as it hits land (Atlantic City) I've spent the last several days looking for a generator (in vain) as the power outages may last from 7-10 days. Fortunately I can run a line to my neighbors generator for my sump and fridge. I just finished redoing my basement from Irene and would prefer not to go through that again. New furniture/ valuables are up on stands. I took the extra precaution of moving the Wunderhaus upstairs.
    Last edited by Willi Von Klugermann; 11-03-2012 at 13:50.

I wish all of our friends well with the storm!!! Be safe and we will see you on the flightline soon!!!

Be safe and good luck to everyone flying from that area.
    You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Marco

We're seeing 40-50+ mph wind gusts right now, and the worst is yet to come. Barometric pressure has already reached a record low for my home barometer, and it will easily drop far below anything we've ever seen here. So far we still have power (obviously, as I'm able to write this ), but that likely won't last through the night. We'll likely all sleep in the basement tonight for safety sake. Nothing like the typhoons I lived through on Guam, but still a very scary storm with potential for massive damage throughout the region. Everyone in it's path, please stay safe.
    Scott

I'm with all of you guys in the endangered areas. Crossing my fingers for you.
    That's a nasty weather, I swear...

I still have power, though it did flicker once about three hours ago. Considering that I went without power for six days during our last big thunderstorm, I expect the same or worse from this.

Raining and wind kicking up but still able to communicate. And the beer is still cold.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, old US chaps.

I have read that Sandy "hit a wide area 800 miles, more than the distance between Vetta d'Italia (the northernmost mountain of Italy) and the southern tip of Sicily". In practice, Italy for its entire length!! It 's really hard for me to imagine such a weather event.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Hold on, John.
    Holy-moly! That wind gust was huge!

Still have power. On the minus side, my wife is at the hospital being treated for post-op infections (her appendectomy didn't turn out as planned) and the weather is just way too dangerous to go out to visit her. On the plus side, I've worked on painting and prepping a few planes to take my mind off of things.

Thoughts and prayers for your wife and you

I feel for you, John. Gotta be tough not being able to see your wife during this storm. Hang in there!

Woah! Just had a wind gust in the 60 mph range. Just wonder how long these tree branches can hold out.

Friends and relatives in the Detroit area just posted that they have high winds with gusts up to 50 mph. Chicago & Milwaukee are supposed to be windy tomorrow and waves on Lake Michigan are predicted to be around 20 ft.

Just watched our morning news.
    I hope the worst is over for you chaps now.
    Saw a report from Virginia beach, and hope that Richard and the rest of you there came through it O.K.
    It looks as if there is still a lot of weather to come more inland, so take care my friends.
    Rob.

Here's hoping the worst is over - and that everyone has come through safe and sound.

Hope everyone is holding their own. In Ada we just got a heavy dusting of slush. Its a mix if snow and rain with gusty winds 25-30 mph. I know you guys out east got much worse. Prayers are still with you guys.

Thomas

The tragic news is the loss of life due to the sinking of the Bounty. Sad, sad...

hope everyone is keeping safe over there

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It looks as if there is still a lot of weather to come more inland, so take care my friends.
    Rob.
    The whole system really died off as soon as it made landfall. The center is closer to me this morning than it was last night, but I couldn't even tell if it was raining when I woke up. And what storm that remains is now in the sparsely populated mountains, so I think we're squarely in the clean-up phase.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    The tragic news is the loss of life due to the sinking of the Bounty. Sad, sad...

Not a scene I ever expected to see in this day and age, nor one I wished to. I am sorry for all the lives lost to this Hurricane, but that seems tragically poignant.
    Rob.

Huge kudos to the USCG for their daring rescue of all but two or the Bounty's crew. It takes a rare breed to do what they do.

Hurrah for the USCG. They live up to their unofficial motto: "You have to go out. You don't have to come back."

Hope all the mates in NJ and NY are doing well. I saw the damage in NYC so have to wish them the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    I have read that Sandy "hit a wide area 800 miles, more than the distance between Vetta d'Italia (the northernmost mountain of Italy) and the southern tip of Sicily". In practice, Italy for its entire length!! It 's really hard for me to imagine such a weather event.
    Like the saying says: "In Europe, 100 miles is 'a long distance'; in America, 100 years is 'a long time'"....

Been listening to the news and its awful the loss, hope all Drome members and theirs came through ok

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Hope all the mates in NJ and NY are doing well. I saw the damage in NYC so have to wish them the best.

Still alive and kicking Bob. Some minor damage to my home but the Wunderhaus is safe.

Glad to hear those that have reported are in good shape. Here's hoping the ones that have not are only out of power.

I hope all is well with all our east coast mates! Our prayers go out to all of you!

Still alive and kicking Bob. Some minor damage to my home but the Wunderhaus is safe.
    GREAT news!! Hope all the other mates will be safe too.
    Marco

Well, glad everyone seems to be okay. Really glad Sandy was only a cat 1. Just think how horrible if it had got to category 3 like Katrina. Probably tens of thousands killed instead of the relative handful so far.

fyi
    The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale is a 1 to 5 rating based on a hurricane's sustained wind speed. This scale estimates potential property damage. Hurricanes reaching Category 3 and higher are considered major hurricanes because of their potential for significant loss of life and damage. Category 1 and 2 storms are still dangerous, however, and require preventative measures. In the western North Pacific, the term "super typhoon" is used for tropical cyclones with sustained winds exceeding 150 mph.

Category Sustained Winds Types of Damage Due to Hurricane Winds
    1 74-95 mph
    64-82 kt
    119-153 km/h
    Very dangerous winds will produce some damage: Well-constructed frame homes could have damage to roof, shingles, vinyl siding and gutters. Large branches of trees will snap and shallowly rooted trees may be toppled. Extensive damage to power lines and poles likely will result in power outages that could last a few to several days.
    2 96-110 mph
    83-95 kt
    154-177 km/h
    Extremely dangerous winds will cause extensive damage: Well-constructed frame homes could sustain major roof and siding damage. Many shallowly rooted trees will be snapped or uprooted and block numerous roads. Near-total power loss is expected with outages that could last from several days to weeks.
    (major)
    111-129 mph
    96-112 kt
    178-208 km/h
    Devastating damage will occur: Well-built framed homes may incur major damage or removal of roof decking and gable ends. Many trees will be snapped or uprooted, blocking numerous roads. Electricity and water will be unavailable for several days to weeks after the storm passes.
    (major)
    130-156 mph
    113-136 kt
    209-251 km/h
    Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.
    (major)
    157 mph or higher
    137 kt or higher
    252 km/h or higher
    Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Like the saying says: "In Europe, 100 miles is 'a long distance'; in America, 100 years is 'a long time'"....
    I agree. Europe is "little" but "old"... and Rome is the great grandmother .

In Italy we are in the midst of a large Atlantic storm. Rain, snow, strong winds from south-east (Scirocco) In Venice, the tide should lift the water until 140 cm tonight. It's our "Hallowen storm".

(We also have our tornadoes but those of high category are very rare. In 1930 there was a tornado in the area of ​​Montello, where Baracca's plane fell, now officially listed as an F5).

But nothing comparable to Sandy.

I hope all safe and damage-free east coast mates.

Question

Any news from John & how his wife is going in Hospital?

Thanks for asking. My wife came home last night. She's faring well at this point, though she still has a small abscess. The docs said they believe it should respond to oral antibiotics. If not... she may find herself back in the hospital. Keep your fingers crossed. As for the storm, it was something of a no-show here. Lots of wind and rain, with one gust that may have been the biggest that has ever hit the house, but I have seen worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. So, how's the weather up there?
    By MoonSylver in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 01:00
  2. Medal weather front moving north!
    By Niclas in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 17:56
  3. "The weather is good enough, raise the balloon!"
    By Jäger in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 16:43
  4. Grounded due to bad weather!! Drinks are on me!
    By Minion104 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 22:26