Ares Games
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ares Announces new gaming mats.

Drat. No trenches. Maybe the campaign map will have them.

Well spotted John.
    Yes! They do live up to expectations.
    Now all we need is one with No man's land!
    Sorry Phil yours came in whilst I was looking at them.
    Rob.

Second that.
    I wonder if they are so smartly made they could be laid in different configurations (except the coastal one of course), or just one...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Second that.
    I wonder if they are so smartly made they could be laid in different configurations (except the coastal one of course), or just one...
    If you look on the site as given in post 50 you can see the different juxtapositions of the mats. I think you will be pleased.
    Rob.

News about the new mats:

http://www.aresgames.eu/5944

and here we can, finally, have some pictures (uhmmmmmmm, city and coast mats):

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/wings-...line/game-mats

Marco

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Three mats - city, country and coast.
    http://www.aresgames.eu/games/wings-...line/game-mats
    Thanks for the link John. I have been waiting to see what the "Sea Mat" looked like.
    Definately going to get Country plus Sea as they will be a big change from my Trenches & No Mans Land mat.

I do not know how many I will be getting that depends on funds but I will get one of each and hopefully two. Look on the ARES web sight for combinations of these mats very interesting.

These look good.

6 matt combo! whoa! Epic!

Anyone see a MSRP? Hoping they will be less than the Nexus version as the pics of 6 put together look awesome. I was thinking about getting a large hotz map, but will wait to check these out closer.

I think I saw someplace that the price would be the same/similar to the Nexus mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I think I saw someplace that the price would be the same/similar to the Nexus mats.
    See my post 42 on this thread Herr Oberst.
    Rob.

Any news about preorders? ...hmmm, the stuff will be quite heavy Shipment cost may be high...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...ebF-zPMJ16nJOw

GTS distribution have them availble for pre-order on 15th Nov for a Dec release date, so it looks like a prime candidate for the xmas list to me.

The only slight reservation is the size really, we're going to need at least 2 if not 3 and they'll be ~Ł25 a time + postage to fit a 6'x4' table, should be good though.

cheers,

Dave.

I wonder how much it would cost to get an all water map made from the same material..........

Hmmmm.

That's interesting since they are not showing on the Ares site as a December release (in fact, the Dual packs have slipped to Dec) and when I talked to Ares about getting some advanced production copies to review, they said they were not quite ready for any production samples to be out in the US yet. Both of these lead me to believe that pre-orders for December are a little bit of wishful thinking.

As soon as Ares let's me know a release date, I'll let you guys know and they'll be up on the AA site for pre-order.

Thanks Keith

Goldom

I got a look at the new playmats yesterday while visiting my FLGS. The images showed up on his ordering screen while I was ordering some of the upcoming miniatures. They are quite attractive. I particularly liked the mat with the coastline. If memory serves, they will retail for $30.00 each, or something very close to that.

I think that Ares have got a winner here the various combinations of mats look superb.
    All of the Nexus mat problems seem to have been addressed; logo not too big, and many combinations allowed by the matching road/river positions on the mat edges and even a coastal mat for the guys with seaplanes.
    The only thing I find odd is the curious size of the mats maybe that's a production problem.
    How many to buy, probably all of them, if I can get it past madam.
    Will look great for our National Aerodrome Day if we could get a whole row of adjacent mats on a long table.

How many to buy, probably all of them, if I can get it past madam.

I have the same problem: I'd like to buy all of them to connect with the 2 Nexus mats I have, but FIRST I'm compelled to bypass my wife anti-aircraft weapons!!!

Marco

These have been announced with a December release date! They can now be pre-ordered though the Aerodrome Accessories site. There is even a combo deal for all three that will save you $10.

These have been announced with a December release date! They can now be pre-ordered though the Aerodrome Accessories site. There is even a combo deal for all three that will save you $10.
    Could you please give a rough estimate of the postage charges for the set of three to the U.K. Herr Oberst.
    Rob.

Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Could you please give a rough estimate of the postage charges for the set of three to the U.K. Herr Oberst.
    Rob.

Wish they had made a WW1 version and a WW2 version..the WW1 version having a trench system etc etc...oh well...still look great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wodin View Post
    Wish they had made a WW1 version and a WW2 version..the WW1 version having a trench system etc etc...oh well...still look great though.
    I think you can use the "old" ones for WWI (they had trenches) and the "new" ones for WWII. Almost this is what I think I'll do

Marco

No good had to order mine

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Postage overseas is a little expensive as the weight and size of these are pretty hefty. For the combo deal, the only option is Priority mail, at about $63, but it's faster then the First Class I normally ship at. For a single mat, it can go First Class for about $22.

Quote Originally Posted by Wodin View Post
    There is going to be a WWI only mat coming out later. Not 100% sure if it will have a full on "no man's land" like we normally think of, but it will be designed for a campaign.

Looking at the maps again and they look awesome. Like the three of them with the coast map 1st. As pointed out they seem more of a WWII look. Maybe ARES will come out with a WWI theme map. Looks like a defenite buy when they come out.

If a set of three will cost $63 to ship to the U.K., it might be worth waiting to see what U.K. sellers will be charging.

There is going to be a WWI only mat coming out later. Not 100% sure if it will have a full on "no man's land" like we normally think of, but it will be designed for a campaign.
    Hope the WWI trench mat? will be able to be used in combination with the other new mats, that would be fantastic, it would give a very versatile set of games mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Hope the WWI trench mat? will be able to be used in combination with the other new mats, that would be fantastic, it would give a very versatile set of games mats.
    Unless they changes things from what I've seen, it will not be compatible with these new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If a set of three will cost $63 to ship to the U.K., it might be worth waiting to see what U.K. sellers will be charging.
    It could be. But if the other products are any indication, I'm thinking they will be about Ł35 retail. So, for a set of three you are looking at Ł105 or $167 vs. $140 ordered through me. VAT and customs might make them equal, but they might also come in under the radar (as most of my shipments seem to do) and not get those charges.

Regardless, I don't think ordering these from the States will save you lots of money like on the smaller miniatures, but most likely it will save you a little and you can have them a month of so sooner

Good enough for me Keith.
    I like to support my Local Colorado Games Store.
    Rob.

Some WW1 action on the mats made for GenCon at Lucca Games. Not production mats, just demo ones with larger logos and the same drawings:

http://www.gioconomicon.net/modules....8&page=15&sort

Thanks for the pictures Andrea.
    I was already sold anyway.
    i have sent my pre-order to Keith.
    Rob.

These look much better than the Nexus maps. Also kudos for the geomorphic quality.

They look great. Will purchase as soon as they're out.

Could not resist ordered 1 of each from the Aerodrome Accessories hopefully they will be out by Christmas this year!

Checked ARES site and the mats are set to be released in Jan 13. I also saw that the repaints and duel packs have been pushed to Dec. Just a little push back on the release but have enough planes to play with until the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Checked ARES site and the mats are set to be released in Jan 13. I also saw that the repaints and duel packs have been pushed to Dec. Just a little push back on the release but have enough planes to play with until the next release.
    Looks as if all my Christmas presents will be early Birthday presents then Bob.
    Rob.

I have my preorder in with 12-7 and saw all were to be released this month. Then I saw that the duel packs were moved to Dec so had to wait because of the preorder policy. So today I see all the Nov releases are now a Dec release. Not to bad makes them a Christmas present. Guess I have to get the wife something now. Looked at the maps again and I agree need on solid sea map.
    Last edited by BobP; 11-07-2012 at 15:38.

Well not so good, way I read it from Ares website;

December 2012
    WGF101 – WW1 Wings of Glory Spad XIII Airplane Pack
    WGF102 – WW1 Wings of Glory Sopwith Camel Airplane Pack

WGF103 – WW1 Wings of Glory Albatros D.Va Airplane Pack

WGF104 – WW1 Wings of Glory Fokker Dr.I Airplane Pack

War of the Ring - Card Box and Sleeves (Gandalf version)

January 2013

WGF001X – WW1 Wings of Glory – Duel Packs
    WGS002A - WW2 Wings of Glory Rules & Accessory Pack

WGA502A/B/C - Wings of Glory Game Mats

I have my preorder in with 12-7 and saw all were to be released this month. Then I saw that the duel packs were moved to Dec so had to wait because of the preorder policy. So today I see all the Nov releases are now a Dec release. Not to bad makes them a Christmas present. Guess I have to get the wife something now. Looked at the maps again and I agree need on solid sea map.

uhmmm, not so bad news: I'v time to build up my finances once again and in december I'll receive a better wage

Marco

Seems to change every time I check the site but nomatter. They will be here when they get here.

Seems to change every time I check the site but nomatter. They will be here when they get here.
    And that's changed how since we've been playing this game?
    Karl

Have just measured my dining table and I think I can get all three new mats on together so maybe the size of the mats isn't odd at all but just right

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. pLAYING MATS
    By gavain2 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 13:26
  2. WGF WOW mats on evilbay!
    By James Denberger in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 21:23
  3. National: Mats...where to buy or download?
    By Crysagon in forum US Wing
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 08:28
  4. Game Mats
    By alpine in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 12:09
  5. Using the WoW mats
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 12:54