Ares Games

Thread: My brand new Shapeways planes

Default My brand new Shapeways planes

Hi all I ordered more Fokker D.VII's and a Fokker Dr.I from Shapeways last week , and I was just finishing off printing off Guntrucks Jasta 18 decals and my order arrived today ( before my good lady saw them phew ) , and they're all perfect no stepping on the wings or on the fuselage so I'll be a busy bee building my new planes on the weekend , then I'll have to sort out four L decks for my Fokker D.VII's then I'll be ready to take on my arch nemisis Hayden

Good to hear that they arrived in good order Mark.
    Can't wait to see how they turn out.
    Rob.

Hey Mark, when your Jasta has a few planes dont forget to post them in the Jasta Painting showcase thread so we can all see.

Thumbs up

Looking forward to seeing these after painting.
    Which Jasta/s do you intend to portray.

well I was orginally going to do Jasta 12 then I changed my mind after I bought the Osprey book about Jasta 18 , then it was a choice between Berthold's boys or Raben's ravens as decals are available for both incarnations of this Jasta , I decided to represent Raben's version of this Jasta as I like the colour scheme. So far I'm currently working on my first Fokker DV.II which I bought a while back from Shapeways plus my old WoW Fokker D.VII will be repainted in Jasta 18 colours , which will give me six planes as a good starting point for the Jasta my goal is to have all of Raben's ravens as I've googled about the Jasta and found a set of decals in 1/72nd scale with more of Raben's ravens pilot markings. All I need to do is scan the image and reduce them to 1/144th scale so I can add four more planes to my collection , I need to ask a question about Ltn d R Hans Schultz's Fokker D.VII as the colour on the struts nearer the end of the wing aren't vermillion red so are they white as I want his plane to look correct any help on that regard would be appreciated.

And once they're all done I'll post them on the Jasta Painting Showcase

In the picture I have of Schultz's aircraft they are depicted as light grey Mark.
    Rob.

I didn't know he flew in WW1... !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I see nothing.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	63055

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I didn't know he flew in WW1... !

Name:	I see nothing.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	63055
    And I didn't know he had put on so much weight by WWII.
    Kyte.

Thankyou for your help on Schultz's Fokker D.VII , he's in my first batch of Jasta 18 planes to be done tonight then I'll be working on Raben's Dr.I afterwards so I can tackle Hayden's French Spads and use them for target practice

Yeh, whatever Rolf lol

Well here's a progress report I've finished Ltn d R August Raben's Fokker Dr.I , just got to add a peg underneath and I've nearly finished my Fokker D.VII , I had a mini disaster moment with a couple of the decals which could of been very annoying to say the least , the white raven on Raben's Dr.I was effected by the decal fix as I think that I didn't apply enough matt varnish to seal it or I missed abit whilst spraying , so I quickly dug out my white paint and carefully painted on the design phew now it looks as it should have done. My Fokker D.VII was next as I found some images of decals in 1/48th - 1/72nd scale I was going to reduce to fit my planes , but the one I tryed to use didn't work so I hand painted on the pilots markings and was impressed by how it turned out , the pilot I'm representing with my first Fokker D.VII is Ltn d R Muller which only now needs the wheels finished off and the decals applyed to the wings then he's finished , my next one is an Albatross D.Va and will be an unknown pilot and once all three are completed I'll be posting images of them and then it'll be a case of a custom plane face off with Hayden's Spads.

Does anyone know if Shapeways produces pilots for their planes , I've got Peter Pig pilots but they're to small to fit inside any help would be much appriciated guys .

Not that I know of. I've thought about doing it myself, but I've been busy with other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    Does anyone know if Shapeways produces pilots for their planes , I've got Peter Pig pilots but they're to small to fit inside any help would be much appriciated guys .
    You could try Revirsco from the States; Dom might carry them. Or try conscripting civilians.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 11-03-2012 at 02:16.

Does anyone know if Shapeways produces pilots for their planes
    Well, John, not only would better pilots than Tin Soldier's be welcome but getting some nice gunner figs, especially Lewis gunners (in single or double mounts) would be excellent. I wonder if Shapeways can handle something like a figure that includes the upper part of a gunner in a Scarf ring mount (with one or two guns)? Or a good German gunner with parabellum and the right flying helmet. I think you'd move some nylon with that.

If they can produce those nice sprues of machineguns so well, I'm sure a range of air crew would sell like hot cakes.
    Rob.

I found that I had to make a 'seat' for the PP pilots Mark - fiddly work due to their scale but doable - I cut up some small angled Plastruct to make mine

Name:	kf Tripe 2.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	63657

Just did a test with a pilot figure I had already, turning it into a set of 9 http://www.shapeways.com/model/750199/
    Will only print with FUD at the moment so it seems a bit expensive - would need to make a few adjustments for WSF

Adding another 9 would probably only raise the price by about €1

Thanks Dave for the advice on how to make the PP pilots fit , I'll be taking photos of the two Jasta 18 planes that I've completed for my next encounter with Hayden , the Fokker D.VII is the same plane as my avatar because I liked the pilots markings , I did try and failed to produce a decal for this pilot but I had fun trying so I'll have another go producing my own decals. So I carefully painted on his markings and I'm really pleased with my efforts so it's two down and six to do , well I should have my planes ready for a mass brawl during the holiday period.

re PP pilots in Shapeways planes, I put a small blob of miliput into the cockpit and press the pilot figure into it. It makes it pretty easy to get the right height (if he's still too low add another blob) and the right alignment (its putty, so you can orientate with tweezers and he'll stay where he's put). For added security I might drizzle some superglue into the cockpit afterwards to fix everything in place.

Thanks for the advice I'll add pilots afterwards .

Similar Missions

1. Shapeways planes are getting smaller
    By Burt in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 14:51
  2. General Shapeways Planes
    By alpine in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 11:37
  3. Planned planes from Shapeways
    By Burt in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 4