Ares Games

Thread: Desert Duel: Grumman Mk III Martlet, Royal Navy 805 sqn

Default Desert Duel: Grumman Mk III Martlet, Royal Navy 805 sqn

Since the Martlet Mk III looks a bit different than the F4F I started with adding and removing some detail. First to be removed were the decals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03158.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	62864

The Martlet Mk III only has 4 guns so the both the lids of the ammo compartments on the outside of the wing needed to be removed. At the same time the panel lines of the wing folding mechanism where filled and sanded away.

Name:	DSC03166.jpg 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	62863

Then the machine guns and in a later stage the pitot-tube were fitted. I found the same problem as Niclas, and that is the engine cowling. I found that it was mounted on its side. An air inlet from a cooler was on the side instead of mounted on the bottom. Since it was a detail which was hardly visible I decided to grind the inlet away.

Name:	DSC03174.jpg 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	62862

Name:	DSC03178.jpg 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	62860

Also on the bottom side the external fuel tanks were removed and the gaps were filled and sanded. Parts of the wing folding mechanism were cut away.

Name:	DSC03163.jpg 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	62865

A white base coat was sprayed on.

Name:	DSC03180.jpg 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	62861

From the painting itself I did not take much pictures. Instead of airbrushing free hand I taped every thing that didn't need to be painted. Decals are a mix from homemade (the letter K on the cowling and fuselage, the serial number) and some old set I had laying around.

Name:	DSC03190.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	62866

Both the recognition lights were painted as well. But they were difficult to see on the pictures entered for the contest

Name:	DSC03211.jpg 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	62867

And the finished result...

Name:	DSC04381.jpg 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	62868

Thank's to the people who voted on my mini!!

Thanks for showing us just how you went about converting your plane Thomas.
    It was most instructive.
    Rob.

I'm impressed by your attention to detail, Thomas - And the result of course is a great looking plane!
    It's particularly interesting to see your take on the same plane that I worked on.

/Niclas

Excellent attention to details Thomas.

Very nice job, thanks for the write up as well. Oh, and I noticed the painted recognition lights

I think is am excelent job, but ( for everybody ) I think will obtain better results if we remove the original paint. The zamak parts are not a problem with a dissolvent, only we found problems to remove the paint in the plastic components... may be with ultra-sound cleaners.... and some kind of non-agressive dissolvent...

Any idea?

You got my vote ! Great work Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Very nice job, thanks for the write up as well. Oh, and I noticed the painted recognition lights
    Glad someone noticed them .

@ Abel

I wanted to sand al the paint away but I thought the paint in the panel lines would be difficult to remove. That's why I didn't remove all the paint. If you apply thin layers of paint I think the difference in finish would be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    Glad someone noticed them .

@ Abel

I wanted to sand al the paint away but I thought the paint in the panel lines would be difficult to remove. That's why I didn't remove all the paint. If you apply thin layers of paint I think the difference in finish would be minimal.
    I'm going to investigate this point. My brother was working as chemist in a paint factory... may be he knows any solution for this.... I will keep you informed.

Similar Missions

1. Nexus Desert Duel: Grumman Mk III Martlet, Royal Navy 805 sqn
    By Niclas in forum Past Repaint Contest Entries
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 07:01
  2. Site: Desert Duel winners!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 20:20
  3. Desert Duel Voting
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 34