Ares Games

Thread: Desert Duel: Grumman Mk III Martlet, Royal Navy 805 sqn

Default Desert Duel: Grumman Mk III Martlet, Royal Navy 805 sqn

Starting out, I had had more time and thought I'd put together a little walk through on my Desert Duel entry. Unfortunately, I was very pressed for time at the end, so it isn't quite finished - But I thought I'd at least post what I had.

Since the Ares mini wasn't quite a Martlet, I started out by removing some bits and adding some others. I also tried to fix some joins with green stuff. The prop and canopy was removed to facilitate painting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top_1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	62830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom_1.jpg 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	62831

There were some problems with the engine cowling, which was crookedly attached and had to be removed and corrected - I was never quite able to fix the resulting seam to my satisfaction.

Name:	top_1b.jpg 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	62832

The MG's were made from (very) short lengths of copper (stripped electrical) wire. I made tiny slots in the wing for these to go in - both for the look and for a stronger join.

Next came the base coat, by airbrush. Any minor flaws show up horribly in the pics - Most of the them do however look ok in real life.

Name:	side_2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	62833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom_2.jpg 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	62834

I then added some low-lights to the bottom half, with very diluted paint in a slightly darker and slightly bluer hue. Later (not visible in any pic) I added some high-lights, in a slightly lighter hue than the base gray.

Name:	bottom_3.jpg 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	62835

I airbrushed the top colour freehand.

Name:	top_4.jpg 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	62836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side_4.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	62837

The darker camo was also applied by freehand airbrushing. This was a very nervous job: A very slight mistake might mean that I'd have to start all aver again - Especially near the bored between yellow and grey, since I probably wouldn't be able to correct the with a paintbrush and make it look like the airbrushed parts.

Name:	side_5.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	62839

I painted the wings first and masked them off before working on the fuselage.

Name:	top_5.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	62838

Some areas where I missed a bit (tiny dark spots where they shouldn't be and bits not adequately covered) could however be fixed by hand - Using highly diluted paint applied in several layers.

This is as far as I got in documenting my progress, but the rest was fairly simple:
    Add some low-lights to the top, paint in some more detailing and attach canopy and prop.

National marking decals are Shed-decals, the rest I made.

Lastly I applied some weathering.

Original plan was to attach I wire, but I decided against it in the end.

I was very pleased with how this one turned out. Even so, winning was a bit of a surprise, seeing it was my first finished 1/200 model to date.

Name:	side_6.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	62843

Thank's everyone for voting on my little plane - It's a real honor!

/Niclas

Congratulations, and thanks for the run through Niclas.
    It was very interesting to follow the process, especially as it differed from that of Thomas.
    Rob.

Great work Niclas, the clincher for me was that you'd gone to the trouble of filling some of the huge gaps and painted the canopy. Airbrushing also looks nicer too,

bravo,

Dave.

That's very interesting Niclas, especially how you got the shadow/highlights.

But airbrushing a 1/200 fighter? Get... a... life

Steve is right about airbrushing. I use my airbrush often, but at that scale... wow!

I can almost use my air brush on 1/48 scale. Someday possibly on WoG planes but need a lot more practice

Similar Missions

1. Site: Desert Duel winners!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 20:20
  2. Desert Duel Voting
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-13-2012, 20:48
  3. Italian WWI Royal Army and Navy Aviation Models
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 23