Ares Games
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Official Hawker Hurricane Painting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Great painting, Tim! Would you recommend the same colours for touching up the Ares Hurricanes?
    Certainly not the brown - the Ares brown appears much lighter, and more "yellow" brown than the Nexus brown.
    Not sure about the green - I haven't attempted repaints of the Ares Hurris (no need! ). When I do, I'll do them as North African ones, since they are Mk.IIs with bombs under the wings.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Great painting, Tim! Would you recommend the same colours for touching up the Ares Hurricanes?
    I just repainted a Lancaster and found Humbrol Matt 29 and 30 were pretty close matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Continuing with my WGS repaint program I have re-identified two extra Belgian Hurricanes as aircraft flown by No.1 Squadron RAF attached to the Advanced Air Striking Force (AASF) deployed to France in 1939-40... Hurricane L1679 'JX-G' (G for George) & Hurricane N2358 'Z' (Z for Zulu) ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWS_Hurricane_1Sqn_RAF_Richey_2SComp.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	230183

Name:	WWS_Hurricane_1Sqn_RAF_Kain_2SComp.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	230184

Carl,
    Not sure you want the black outlines on the roundels, but they can be fixed, if you don't.

Thankfully, you used Nexus Hurries, although I do now have a template for Ares Crappycanes:

Name:	Hawker_Crappycane_Work.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	230203
    Last edited by flash; 04-11-2021 at 02:26.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hello! This is my first try at converting a Wings of Glory WW2 plane. I have recently started collecting Battle of Britain planes, and I had this old Belgian Nexus Hurricane that I decided to try to convert to an RAF color scheme.

After looking around on Google, I found a picture of a Hurricane identified as 73rd Squadron during the Battle of France. I used a combination of Miscmini and Ares decals, and used Vallejo Game Earth and Vallejo US Olive paint. I had a lot of fun converting it, and apologize for any historical errors on my part. I hope it's OK for a first try!

Looks very good to me, David.

I really need to start work on mine.

Nothing wrong with that for a first attempt David. It does you credit.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

rep guns jammed! nice! i like the critter on the tail.

Is it a lamb or puppy on the tail? Scary

hello ,thanks for the rep.
    my inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbiter View Post
    Hello! This is my first try at converting a Wings of Glory WW2 plane. I have recently started collecting Battle of Britain planes, and I had this old Belgian Nexus Hurricane that I decided to try to convert to an RAF color scheme.

After looking around on Google, I found a picture of a Hurricane identified as 73rd Squadron during the Battle of France. I used a combination of Miscmini and Ares decals, and used Vallejo Game Earth and Vallejo US Olive paint. I had a lot of fun converting it, and apologize for any historical errors on my part. I hope it's OK for a first try!
    Nice paint job!

Historical errors? When attempting my repaints of Hurricanes, and trying to find out how No.1 RCAF Squadron planes were painted in June 1940, I ran across this:

Name:	5a57a219caf5549e92ce3faf5e751fcf.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	285405

This seems to say that between April and August of 1940, British colour schemes changed almost weekly. Despite any 'officially published' directives, units in the field painted planes on an 'as available' basis, and when directives came down, they implemented them as best they could. Some planes may not have been painted for weeks. I fall back on the photographic evidence of the given day, for a given aircraft. If you have a reliable photo, and you emulate that, then it is correct.

PS: Gack. Or this: imodeler.com: Camouflage and Markings – Hawker Hurricane in the Battle of Britain
    Last edited by flash; 04-11-2021 at 02:27.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I just go with whatever colour scheme they are in. Apart from my Malta/ Desert camo I leave well alone, otherwise I would be repainting aircraft for every different game we play as the time period fluctuated back and forth. I tread small changes to the style and shape of the aircraft just the same. I think the only modification made was to add a Volks filter to some of my Malta aircraft. By no means all of them ever got one and some did not even get the Desert camo for years.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Desert color scheme
    Sweet models 1/144

208 Sqn Egypte 1942

274 Sqn Ldr PH.dunns
    North Africa 1940

nice fox! lover the lightning bolt!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    nice fox! love the lightning bolt!
    Yes!
    Very pretty Hurricanes!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Missions

1. Official DH.2 Painting Thread
    By jbmacek in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:14
  2. Official FE2 painting thread
    By Guntruck in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 06:42
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 04:33
  4. A little History about the Hawker Hurricane.
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 09:11
  5. Hawker Hurricane Mk1
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 00:47