Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THE GRAND WORLD TOUR & LEND-LEASE 2013

Would we be able to leave the postage stamps in with the aircraft it would be a great souvenir for who ever wins the model.
    Linz

What about sticking them to the log book?

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Just had another thought. I think there is a group ( I can't think of the name) that goes around using GPS or clues to find objects. When they find the hidden item they put something there. That could be something we do. When you get the pagkage take a picture as Steve asked and put something in the box to send it on.
    Geocaching Bob.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    What about sticking them to the log book?
    Sounds like a great idea to me. that way they could all go in in order and would not go missing. Also as the plane passes through your area, would it be possible to get it into your local Newspaper. It may arouse some interest in the game in your area?
    Rob.

local papers would definitely run something on this... they are always desperate for articles in melbourne!!

Hi Michael, you are in!

Just a quick update: As at stupid o'clock on Sunday morning, the following have signed up for the World Tour, enough to make it a runner:

Australia
    gully-raker
    Doug
    pbhawkin
    Xen

New Zealand
    Linz

Germany
    Marechallannes

Sweden
    Niclas

Poland
    Nightbomber

UK
    Gaz67
    Guntruck
    Flying Officer Kyte
    David Manley
    Boney 10
    Flash

USA
    BobP
    Wargamer
    Lloydthegamer
    Clipper1801
    bsmith13
    PANdemonium
    csadn
    Kahlerclan
    Clipper 1801
    Beer&Pretzels

Still plenty of time to sign up. Do you know, I could have sworn we had some members in the Czech Republic, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Canada........
    Last edited by Guntruck; 10-13-2012 at 22:32.

Still plenty of time to sign up. Do you know, I could have sworn we had some members in the Czech Republic, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Canada........
    You are spot on Squadron Leader.
    Come on you chaps. I know your Wingcos' will be chivvying you on.
    Kyte.

Just got back from SELWEG show, so bit of an update. I blew into the ear of one of the traders and picked up a Caproni for a knock-down price, so this is what we will be using. Also spoke to the asst editor of Wargames Illustrated, who said they would run a news article on this little jaunt. Looks like a good opportunity to tout the forum, methinks.

And very nice it is too - Top Blagging that man - good to see you again Gunners !

WOW this is really picking up steam. I like the stamp idea also.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    And very nice it is too - Top Blagging that man - good to see you again Gunners !
    And you too Dave.

And if they fit I have an idea for the crew......

Well done that man.
    We seem to be making our mark on the U.K. Wargaming world at last.
    Once Ares really get into their stride, we should be able to get even more coverage for the game.
    Rob.

The "stamp idea" is perfect I'm eager to follow it

Just a quick update: As at stupid o'clock on Sunday morning, the following have signed up for the World Tour, enough to make it a runner:

Australia
    gully-raker
    Doug
    pbhawkin
    Xen

New Zealand
    Linz

Germany
    Marechallannes

Sweden
    Niclas

Poland
    Nightbomber

UK
    Gaz67
    Guntruck
    Flying Officer Kyte
    David Manley
    Boney 10
    Flash

USA
    BobP
    Wargamer
    Lloydthegamer
    Clipper1801
    bsmith13
    PANdemonium
    csadn
    Kahlerclan
    Clipper 1801
    Beer&Pretzels

GT,
    I don't want to pour cold water on what is in itself a commendable idea to gain some publicity for the hobby, but by using more than one volunteer in each country you're potentially going to prolong this into oblivion logistically. If you assume the mini is received on Day 1, photographed in a location on Day 2 and posted on Day 3, even without transit times between volunteers, you're already looking at 75 days. I'd suggest that you might want to consider the random selection for a single person in each country/principality in the UK and each larger geographic area in the USA (based on time zone perhaps?), lest this project take forever to complete.
    BofB
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 10-14-2012 at 13:15.

No Canadians or French. Scare bleu!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    GT,
    I don't want to pour cold water on what is in itself a commendable idea to gain some publicity for the hobby, but by using more than one volunteer in each country you're potentially going to prolong this into oblivion logistically. If you assume the mini is received on Day 1, photographed in a location on Day 2 and posted on Day 3, even without transit times between volunteers, you're already looking at 75 days. I'd suggest that you might want to consider the random selection for a single person in each country/principality in the UK and each larger geographic area in the USA (based on time zone perhaps?), lest this project take forever to complete.
    BofB
    Yeah Balders, I've thought about that. We have theoretically about 6 months to get this done so I am confident that we can get it to most people who want to take part. But I am aware that no plan lasts longer than the first shot fired, so I will be monitoring progress carefully and adjust as necessary. Thanks for bringing it up though.

I will be monitoring progress carefully and adjust as necessary.
    Best of luck; it remains a great initiative to get people involved and potentially generate both publicity for the wider game and cash for Lend-Lease.

Thank you Balders. Can we sign you up for this little enterprise?

As long as you're happy with more Royal Mail stamps, absolutely!

As far as other more interesting stamps along with those you've already listed above go, we're also still adrift Argentina, Brazil, Denmark, Greece, Singapore, Spain and the former Crown Colony of Hong Kong, recalling from people I'm sure I've corresponded with here on the forum.

Lightbulb

We can safe time if we let the bomber circle first in the UK - then in USA/North America - then Australia/New Zealand - then the Rest of Europe.

Or in any other order divided in regions.

I think we're loosing the most time with crossing the Atlantic and the Pacific.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 10-15-2012 at 23:14.

The Flight path is going to be UK - Europe - Asia - US. It has to land in my hands at the very end, so no need to send it to the US twice.

As long as you're happy with more Royal Mail stamps, absolutely!

As far as other more interesting stamps along with those you've already listed above go, we're also still adrift Argentina, Brazil, Denmark, Greece, Singapore, Spain and the former Crown Colony of Hong Kong, recalling from people I'm sure I've corresponded with here on the forum.
    There's a couple of places there I didn't know we had members - Singapore and HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    We can safe time if we let the bomber circle first in the UK - then in USA/North America - then Australia/New Zealand - then the Rest of Europe.

Or in any other order divided in regions.

I think we're loosing the most time with crossing the Atlantic and the Pacific.
    Damn, and there was I going to send it to someone in the UK, then Australia, then back to the UK, then Australia again, etc.

Not to worry Sven, I didn't just come up with this on the spur of the moment - I did put some thought into it and if I do say it myself, even I can work out an optimum route.

Remember that we can save a day by sending it West to East. I'm glad the U.K. will be first as all the time faults will add up at the end of the flight. Sorry U.S.A.
    Rob.

Don't worry, Rob.

They have learned their lesson in North Africa 42/43.

So I think the bomber will be "blitzing Patton-style" through the United States.

Actually, you generally lose a day by sending it west to east. When it's morning on the US East coast, it's already afternoon of the same day in Europe. The only time the wheeze works is when crossing the International Date Line.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 10-21-2012 at 02:07. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Remember that we can save a day by sending it West to East. I'm glad the U.K. will be first as all the time faults will add up at the end of the flight. Sorry U.S.A.
    Rob.
    Excellent! That means I can save a day by sending it to Dave Manley in Bristol

Belgium reporting in Sir!

Who do I send that PM to and what do you need to now? ( ok and now I'll start reading every post in this thread )

PS...don't make the box too big or too heavy cause Post ratings over here are rather steep lately
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 10-16-2012 at 14:48.

just so everyone knows...I can only go to NYC on a weekend and hopefully the weather is good....so there could be a very slight delay as it passes through New York...I'll try by best

Actually, you generally ose a day by sending it west to east. When it's morning on the US East coast, it's already afternoon of the same day in Europe. The only time the wheeze works is when crossing the International Date Line.
    To get to the States going East to West it will in fact have to cross the International Date Line.
    Rob.

Add me in as well Guntruck. Barker is buried in Toronto in the cemetery just south of me, 500 m, so that rather than the CN Tower may be my choice of "landmarks".

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I expect that you are going to tell me that the Gold Coast does not exist next !
    Kyte.
    Like me, you have a mental map of the world that is mostly pink and full of countries that no longer exist or are clumped under titles like French West Africa.

If you post things to Rhodesia still do they get there?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Add me in as well Guntruck. Barker is buried in Toronto in the cemetery just south of me, 500 m, so that rather than the CN Tower may be my choice of "landmarks".
    Well done Paul, why not do both !

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Hurrah! Our firsrt Canadian. You're in Paul - and what Flash said. I rather enjoyed Toronto when I went there a couple of years back - didn't know about Barker's resting place though.

Hurrah! Our firsrt Canadian. You're in Paul - and what Flash said. I rather enjoyed Toronto when I went there a couple of years back - didn't know about Barker's resting place though.
    OK, 2 photos then. Check out the Barker Memorial.

The plane is going to Canada! Excellent! But we really need France, South Africa would be nice, too.

A very fine Memorial Paul. It is made all the more Poignant because I was reading about Wlliam Barker in my Osprey " British and Comonwealth Aces" this morning. It will be good to have it included in our itinerary.
    Rob.

Balders came up with a good idea that hadn't occured to me and I thank him for it - to stop great minds thinking alike and us getting several shots of the same landmark, just before we kick this off I'll have a list of landmarks that you are going to use off you. I am sure we will only get one shot of the water tower in Okeefenokee or wherever, but where we have a cluster of members we may get duplicates.

I've got dibs on the RAF Museum on account of me having my mitts on the plane first.

I will do Beachy head/seven sisters - iconic white cliffs and all that (look better than Dovers !)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beachy~head.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	63270

We don't (for obvious reasons) have many WWI or WWII related monuments in Stockholm. Well, yes we do have the Raoul Wallenberg one, but photographing that with a WWI bomber would be just a little bit too weird, even for me.
    I'll probably just go with something touristy.
    With a little bit of luck, it won't arrive with me until there's lots of snow - Giving me the opportunity to feed some stereotypes.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    If you post things to Rhodesia still do they get there?:confused:
    You kidding? Posting things to *Zimbabwe* makes it unlikely they'll get there.... :)

Cool

What could be more suitable for the Caponi than our "famous" Air Raid Tavern?

Name:	Air Raid Tavern 1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	63287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Tavern Centre.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	63288

I'd heard about submarine activity off the NSW south coast during WWII, but never an air raid! What's the story behind the pub's name?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    I would like also to join in Canada number 2
    Righto Darrell, you're on!

I was wondering what type of photo to take for the background with the bomber and I came up with one. Thanks for all of your input to give me an idea.

Smile

I'd heard about submarine activity off the NSW south coast during WWII, but never an air raid! What's the story behind the pub's name?
    G'day Balders old chap!
    As far as I know there was no actual Air Raid made on Moruya during WW2 but there were a lot of Shipping sunk off the cost around here but mainly by submarines. Probably just sounded a rather cool name for a Tavern.
    We had a Squadron based at the current regional Aerodrome here doing Anti Sub work plus search & rescue.
    Dont know if you saw the photo attached below (which I have posted previously) of a beautiful carved wood statue commemorating the Pilots who flew from here during the War.

Name:	Statute 2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	63320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Statue Plaque 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	63321

Thanks for the details.
    Perhaps the 'air raids' on the pub were done by the locally-stationed aircrew!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Lend Lease 3 Raffle
    By John B in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 09:30
  2. Lend-Lease 2 Winner!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Origins Game Fairs
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 16:28
  3. And the winner of Lend-Lease 1 is....
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Origins Game Fairs
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 11:01