Ares Games

Thread: Official RE.8 painting thread

Default Official RE.8 painting thread

Didn't see an RE.8 thread, so I thought I would kick one off.

I just got a pair of these crates off the work bench - scratch built and painted in 52 Squadron markings.
    This squadron was home to Captain Douglas Carbery, one of the very few Aces who flew the Harry Tate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090548.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	62085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090551.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	62086

The full album (including a direct comparison to my earlier RE.8 model) is here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1743

Thumbs up

And very nice too, Jon. Well done

Just realized that I forgot to put the machine gun on the port side. That will have be rectified!

A very nice pair of Harry Tates Jon. Hopefully this will encourage a few more members to take this aircraft on as a repaint.
    Rob.

Bump this thread up a bit. I am looking at some of these planes to purchase, on averager how many we're assigned to squadrons? We're there enough to make up entire Sqds of them? Would 2 be enough to add to a Sqd?

Thanks for the help.

Thought I had a few of these repainted . . .

With their friends

Dang it Clipper, what do you not have that looks good.

Now are they are part of the same Sqd? Or do they belong to different Sqds?

Thanks for popping those pix up.

Clipper, do you brush your planes or use an airbrush? That paint looks very smooth on the wing tops in the first picture. Really like those colors.

Sorry Blake, the paints are craft store $.99 acrylic colors in the plastic bottles. I am a picky painter so I use fresh smooth paint, if it gets chunky I pass it on to the kids for finger painting. I do pour my paints into small plastic cups and constantly thin them with distilled water to keep them just right. I think the blue is "Country Blue" or something like that. I used to mix airbrush inks to paint with but the process was way to involved, now I just use fresh paint and new nylon brushes. As for the markings, I found the SE5A on Google and have made a mixed squadron in the cool blue, including my new HP V1500, I think it was a color used for the Home Defense group? You will have to ask someone who keeps up on that, I am more what looks good and is mostly accurate to have fun with, not so critical on historical details : )

Didn't realize how many I painted blue . . .

Jon, your new models are quite an improvement over your first. Way to go!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post
    Bump this thread up a bit. I am looking at some of these planes to purchase, on averager how many we're assigned to squadrons? We're there enough to make up entire Sqds of them? Would 2 be enough to add to a Sqd?

Thanks for the help.
    G'day Blake! Mate 3 Sqd Australian Flying Corps flew RE 8's during mid to late 1918 & flew them very aggresively too.Their Kill to Loss ratio was heavely in their favour. Towards Wars end they added two Bristol Fighters to their RE 8's.

I think you just described the vast majority of Australian units in the war ... very aggressive.

Default Soviet RE8

Now for something a little different, I had a few spare planes so I thought I would look to the East.

O man that looks great! I just passed up a pair at a game store yesterday! Looks like I'll have to go back!

Howdy Barry, was the 3 Sqd all RE 8s, if so what would be a good number of minis to represent the Sqd?

Don, did the Russians fly the during the first WW? Or we're they used later? Paint job looks cool

If you are interested in fine detail, I have put up a heap of photos of TVAL's Re8 that I took on my recent visit to New Zealand where I was fortunate enough to have a tour of their hangar.

I know that most, if not all, of these fine details are impossible in 1/144 scale, but sometimes it helps to know what the 'lumps', 'bumps' and other numerous protuberances are.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=2204

Thanks Biggles! Did they really make those propellers in alternating wood? If so, that looks cool!

Thanks Biggles! Did they really make those propellers in alternating wood? If so, that looks cool!
    Yes, they were laminated.

No way I'm goin to try painting them like that!

No way I'm goin to try painting them like that!
    Oh, I dunno - how about a huge magnifying glass and a couple of vallium

Hey Steel Ratt - your planes look very cool also. Sorry I didnt comment on them earlier

Dont have a magnifying glass but I have some other stuff

Teach59

Another Shapeways RE8.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	180805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	180806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0457.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	180807

Similar Missions

1. Official RAF BE 2a/b/c/d painting thread
    By 144sram in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-14-2024, 01:15
  2. Official DH.2 Painting Thread
    By jbmacek in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:14
  3. Official FE2 painting thread
    By Guntruck in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 06:42
  4. Official A.E.G. G.IV Painting thread.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-21-2022, 15:32
  5. Official DH4 painting thread
    By Guntruck in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 11:38