Ares Games

Thread: Recon/Bombing

Default Recon/Bombing

I'm sitting here thinking up scenarios, and trying to make a series of three that are inter-connected. The usual dogfight>recon>bombing comes to mind. I can come up with ways to have the outcome of dogfight affect recon. No problem. I was spinning gears on recon affecting bombing, and then I thought, "if the recon plane escapes with pics, the bombing planes may adjust the final card movement card played on their dropped bombs by a ruler-width."

Thoughts?

Checkout OTT Mission 9 John - a recon / bombing game where we had a chance to id the target from a number of possibles, or not, before we went in to the attack.

You could run the recon for both sides in the same game.
    Result could be;

Cp win objective; Bomb next game. Entente defense.
    Entente win objective; Bomb next game. Cp defense.
    Draw = Both bomb next game. Both have interceptors and AA guns present.

How about, if the recon mission fails... During the bomber mission, there are 3 targets instead of just 1. But 2 of the targets are dummy targets. The bomber pilot must get within a given range (1 or 2 rulers maybe) to determine if it is the real target or a dummy.

If the recon mission succeeds, the bomber mission only has the one correct target and no dummy targets.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I'm sitting here thinking up scenarios, and trying to make a series of three that are inter-connected. The usual dogfight>recon>bombing comes to mind. I can come up with ways to have the outcome of dogfight affect recon. No problem. I was spinning gears on recon affecting bombing, and then I thought, "if the recon plane escapes with pics, the bombing planes may adjust the final card movement card played on their dropped bombs by a ruler-width."

Thoughts?
    I like that after recon it should be a little easer to line up to bomb

To extend your idea Darell I played one where the recon consisted of flying over several cards some of which were dummys. Only the cards successfully reconned were turned over after the recon aircraft got back. You could also add a chance element that some photos were duds anyway. The Bomber then had to decide which of the others were real and bomb them if he could find the real one, or waste his bombs if he got it wrong.
    Add a bit of AA fire and you will have one very worried bomber crew.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    To extend your idea Darell I played one where the recon consisted of flying over several cards some of which were dummys. Only the cards successfully reconned were turned over after the recon aircraft got back. You could also add a chance element that some photos were duds anyway. The Bomber then had to decide which of the others were real and bomb them if he could find the real one, or waste his bombs if he got it wrong.
    Add a bit of AA fire and you will have one very worried bomber crew.
    Rob.
    I like the idea of revealing reconned targets, and the AA is also the best way to spice it up.

Similar Missions

1. RECON 2013
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 14:54
  2. US Spitfire Recon Pilot
    By pflanzer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2013, 22:23
  3. N. England & Scotland AAR 5: RECON
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4