Ares Games

Thread: WW2, WW1, varied flight decks?

Cthulhurising

Default WW2, WW1, varied flight decks?

Alright, so I've joined up with the 'dome, browsed a bunch, posted some and still have yet to come across my answer in any fashion really.
    We got the WW2 WoG box set, picked up a Curtiss p-40 Hill, and a Kawaski ki-61 Ichrkawa (which, by the way, how did that plane come past the rest? That thing is HORRIBLE, B - D - D for close range? may as well put its damage as 'Death') and had a pretty good time with it. However, it seems like the only difference is in the planes power. I'm hoping theres more flight decks out there then E and H, which are pretty identical, to make the game more varied. But we got the impression that WW2 dealt more with altitude then manevuring, are we right on that one? and if so, is WW1 more about the manevuring? (we see a lot of people ignore the altitude rules for WW1)
    I'd really like to see more varied flight decks between planes (are they all hidden in the older Wings of War releases?)

Sorry for possibly asking a stupid question, but with the new R&A out for WW1, and my general love of biplanes, I'm curious to know if WW1 "fixes" our only problem with this game so far ><

Also, the balloons I've seen for WW1 seem to make the game a bit more varied, or at least more options. Any word on anything like that for WW2?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Well to answer your questions let's start with the most important. Yes, that particular Ki-61 is overpowered and needs something bigger to shoot at.
    There are 12 different maneuver decks to choose from. These range from single engine dive bombers and biplanes that have max speeds of about 232knts to early war Spitfires and 109s which max out at 307knts (355 mph)(though the Ki-61s include variants released in 1945). While the First War planes typically have a larger range of maneuvering, the Second War planes are better suited for team work based games in my opinion. I sometimes have my groups remove their Immelman cards just to get them to think out of the box or use more team work.
    Now while we haven't had any official "non-airplane target" releases, online you can find a huge repertoire of fan made ships, tanks, and other planes to shoot at. The altitude rules for the WWII system being used also really depend on the gamer/group. My group uses slightly modified rules while others completely disregard the rules all together or just use them unmodified. Now with Ares I have noticed that they are a whole lot faster at getting new releases going out so we can expect new items to the game with less wait. For example all of the two engine bombers they have released for WWI and the ones coming out soon for WWII.

Really it just breaks down to which genre of planes you are more of a fan of. Many of the WWI players just play that version because they just like the planes from the war better and vice-verse with the WWII version. So just give both eras a play and stick with what you like.

Cthulhurising

Oooo, that's a lot of juicy numbers, i like numbers lol. Thank you!
    And thanks for the heads up about Ares release speed. I'll hang on to my ww2 planes and see where that goes in the mean time.
    No immelmans? O.o That seems a tad bit rough!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Personally I have about 30 some WWII planes but not WWI planes. I feel like I might be able to attract more people to the game if I had a couple of the brightly coloured WWI planes. People like bright colours.

Having targets flying around or based on the ground makes the game much nicer to play for WWII. A WGS dogfights tends to turn into an immelmann party where you just constantly make head-on passes. To avoid that I give every player 2 or 3 homemade Immelmann markers. If a player makes a Immelmann or Split-S he discards one of the tokens. So basically a player can only make 2 or 3 of those maneuvers and if he wants the maximum benefit out of them, he has to plan them very well. Not very realistic I guess but it forces players to work together and use the other maneuvers as well.

WGS needs a bigger gaming surface than WGF. Then you can use turns more reasonably and don't use immelmanns so often.

Smile

Josh

If you think the KI-61 is powerful, fly a KI-43 you will wonder how they earned a reputation? You have started with a great plane mix. The KI-61, P-40`s and P-39`s in Fire From Sky are the second generation of the WOW/WOG. The original WOW boxed set has early war planes ME-109`s, Spitfires and Hurricanes for Europe. Zeros`, Wildcat`s and the Oscar for the Pacific. The fire power is lower but the game is still fun. I have played the WW1 version but prefer the WW2 rule set. Things putter along in WW1, they move fast in the WW2 set.
    One or one games always become an Immelman fest. Games where six or eight planes are engaged are more fluid. Games where victory is not based on how many planes you shot down are also more interesting!
    We have been waiting for two years now for an expansion set for medium bombers. They are releasing minis of medium bombers but no rules to govern them. I gave up on any official rules 18 months ago and have been using Max`s custom cards for my games. Look in my albums section for photos from my games.

Rich

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8100094.jpg   P8100092.jpg   P8100089.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhurising View Post
    a Kawaski ki-61 Ichrkawa (which, by the way, how did that plane come past the rest? That thing is HORRIBLE, B - D - D for close range? may as well put its damage as 'Death')
    I've had some success with this rule: Against Fighter-size targets, all C- and D- fire is at one range further out than normal (short range becomes long; long range becomes N/A). Gives more of a feel for what happens when bomber-killers have to engage something which can dodge.

A simple and rather accurate rule is that you only get 3 firing opportunities with C or D weapons. Remember, with all official aircraft, they only had about 60 rounds per gun - enough for 3 2-second bursts.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    They are releasing minis of medium bombers but no rules to govern them.
    The WGS bomber minis will have rules included in them just like the WGF bomber minis did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    WGS needs a bigger gaming surface than WGF. Then you can use turns more reasonably and don't use immelmanns so often.
    That is true. Also using altitude is a big plus to the WW2 game. When you get into it and start calling for your wing-man to engage engage. All the radios come to life..."Bogey at your six bank left I'll take him" "I'm hit I'm hit". You all will start working as a team and the Immelmann will be used less and less.

Thomas

Similar Missions

1. wanted: flight decks/damage decks/plane cards
    By boomerpete53 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 15:05
  2. Decks Q and S (and is there an R?)?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 16:53
  3. Manouvre Decks and Custom Decks difference
    By darkwing in forum WGF: Rules Help