Ares Games

Thread: Barracudas or salmons?

Default Barracudas or salmons?

February 5th, 1944. The Fairey Barracudas were flying towards their very first combat mission. From then on, not only salmons, but also Barracudas went to Norwegian coast, looking for the enemy shipping along the Scandinavian west coast. In that day, the Barracudas from 827 and 830 Sqns. took off from the deck of HMS Furious and made a dive bombing against one enemy beached vessel. She was destroyed by the raid.

Bf109, JG5, Norway based.

German fighters took off to make them pay the raid, but Bf109's and Fw190's couldn't shoot down any of the new brand attack British planes.

A Barracuda from 827 Sqn. FAA, on fire from enemy flak, having just landed HMS FURIOUS. Fire is put out by the crash party. Some water used to fight fire can still be seen lying on the deck.

The WoG Mission

This scenario tries to reenact that first and intrepid action. Fleet Air Arm sends two Barracudas against one beached merchant, that will be protected by a Bf109. A gaming zone is established, with 120x90cm extension (47x35 inches):

Barracudas start from one rule of the long side of the gaming zone, centered in the narrow side and one rule between cards centers:

Bf109 starts from side limit when Barracudas' rival player plays, it's the same one or the oher side, with half rule distance from the limit of the gaming zone. On the other side, 45cm. from the German limit:

The beached German cargo ship, rests centered along the narrow side of the gaming zone and one rule from the German limit of the long side:

Barracuda: "J" Deck

The Fairey Barracuda is a plane clearly more advanced than Stuka, Dauntless or "Val", all of them "I" deck. So, I played the Barracuda with "J" deck, the early I-16 models (Revolution in the Sky pack) maneuver cards:

About dive bombing, we can choose between "Stuka bombing" (plane position=dropping bomb) or "standar dive bombing. In this last choice, it is possible replacing the "I" deck dive bombing card by the "J" deck climbing card, almost identical:

Victory Conditions

This one is a delicate point... We must remember in the actual combat, the 'cudas reached a great victory, destroying the ship and managing to reach their carrier in spite the German fighters efforts.
    On our gaming zone, it won't be easy. Trying to balance the combat, the ship must be destroyed by a direct impact (bomb card center over the hull) or two partial impacts (some part of bomb card over the hull, with its center outside).

Ship destruction gives to British 15 points, if she survive, Germans receive those 15 points.

On the other hand, each British bomber destroyed gives 10 points to German side. If they manage to reach British side, they give 10 points each to British side.

Custom Cards

Max Headroom's Fairey Barracuda:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...chmentid=41930

German cargo ship (adjust the image to paper extension to print):

I hope this escenario is interesting for you and mainly, you play and enjoy it.
    Cheers!

FIREBRAND

PD: Para los lectores hispanohablantes, la versión original en castellano:http://elhangardewingsofwar.blogspot...-salmones.html
    Last edited by Firebrand; 10-08-2012 at 07:41. Reason: añadir original en Español

Good game I will have to give it a go

Thank you, Doug!
    We tried it, but I preferred not to say how the combat ended.

Nice scenario and custom card.
    Thanks for sharing.

Thomas

You are welcome, Tom! It is a pleasure sharing it among people who like it

You have to do something on your point system.

When the Barracudas missed the target and escape, the British side wins with 5 points.

Should be a draw in this case?

Good mission, Vik.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 10-03-2012 at 03:24.

Thank you, Marechallannes.

I'm afraid it's very difficult they reach the target and escape, both of them. Even using "J" deck, Bf109 is rather faster and agile.

Yes, but the whole point of the mission being tasked is to sink the ship, not to go on an overwater navex where you might run into some fighters!

The ship 'card' is pretty impressive.

Vik

Center the ship on the map and start bombers two firing sticks from ship. Start the defending fighter on the table edge behind the ship. That should allow you to make the attack and start for home before the defender arrives over the ship.That should e the attackers a chance!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Yes, but the whole point of the mission being tasked is to sink the ship, not to go on an overwater navex where you might run into some fighters!
    If I leave the ship without fighter cover, she hasn't got any chance. So, I send the '109 against them before reaching the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    The ship 'card' is pretty impressive.
    Thank you, Baldrick. A lot of time ago, Gravitypool and me made "real custom cards" with ship images captured form my sims. This one is from Silent Hunter 5.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Vik

Center the ship on the map and start bombers two firing sticks from ship. Start the defending fighter on the table edge behind the ship. That should allow you to make the attack and start for home before the defender arrives over the ship.That should e the attackers a chance!

Rich
    I'm afraid with that forces disposition, it's impossible the ship survives. And the ship is the key of the mission. The survival of the Barracudas is a secondary point, but it can turn the balance to the German side.