Ares Games

Thread: Arteaeronautica and the extreme modelling adventure...

Default Arteaeronautica and the extreme modelling adventure...

So it's evening, and after another long working day, it's nice to seat at the officer's club and, sharing a drink with other flyboys, starting to explain why I started such a strange activity...
    Why 1:1 scale parts of airplanes?
    I wanted to have the 'real' sensation of a piece, the real dimensional sensation of being close to warbirds.
    I wanted to explain to young people the sense of History starting from a fragment, a relic.
    I studied the life of our Ace Francesco Baracca, and the cavalry, the close comparation between ancient heraldics (hoplite shields for example), medieval heraldic and wwI warbirds, was really
    impressive.
    I loved that gentleman :-) and I know that after a battle often he went on the ground looking for the pilot and the plane he had destroyed, he took a part of the plane, maiClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Maggiore Francesco Baracca.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	61228nly the vertical rudder...
    and he visited in hospital survived pilots.
    So Francesco Baracca is the very beginning of my passion.
    What I make is to honour and to remember him and all the young people that flyed in a war to bring us back Peace.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_4389.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	61229

Name:	DCP_4393.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	61230

Well I went to a WWI air show this weekend and this was one of the planes there. I beleive this is a Baracca Newport.

Nice stand-up figure.

Quote Originally Posted by arteaeronautica View Post
    What I make is to honour and to remember him and all the young people that flyed in a war to bring us back Peace.
    Italy broke the neutrality and attacked Austria-Hungary in 1915.

I think the pilots fought to win the war and end it this way.

Yes Bob, Nieuport 17 with the black horse :-)
    Sven, you are absolutely right...maybe my vision is a bit 'romantic' and for the real matter of facts the right word is not Peace, but Freedom
    I post one of my Nieuport rudders Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip5.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	61237
    Ciao Boys

Great work & Great photos chaps !

Great rudder! Is it inspired by a real machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Great rudder! Is it inspired by a real machine?
    I think the answer is at this link: .

http://www.arteaeronautica.com/page11.html

Thanks a lot!
    Beautiful indeed, I did not know it.

Yes Andrea, Attilio gave you the answer ;-)
    We don't know the m.m. of the plane, but 'Fortunello' was often present on Nieuports... and I'm going to make some other Fortunellos.
    All my work is based on documentary fonts. Maybe because I've been an archaeologist for a long time, I prefer datas, photos and crossing info, instead of 'guess'. As far is possible I search, I ask and I try to mantain fidelity.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laboratorio.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	61241
    Here is a wiew of my working space with many things in progress... Hansa Brandenburg C 1 vertical rudder back in the shadow...
    Ciao Boys

Name:	DSC04574.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	61277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charles quasi finito.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	61278Good morning to the Drome!
    Some shots of fuselage fabric of a famous warbird ...
    Have a nice day :-)
    Eleonora
    www.arteaeronautica.com

Cool stuff, eleonora.

Rep points are on the way.

Quite interesting!
    Eleonora, scale 1:1 must be fascinating to work on, however much costlier for us to collect.

Bob, that Newport is a beauty!

Alkis

Kalimera Alki! Good morning Sven! I have to tank you for rep point! Very kind and I appreciate very very much!
    Alki some pieces are cheap some other more expensive. It depends from the complexity level of the work and the quantities of color and fabric. Not always smaller piece means cheaper.
    Ma den kostizoune polì ! I show you a little piece that I love very much...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AA frammenti della I GM.jpg  Views: 51  Size: 129.9 KB  ID: 61306" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Do you recognize it?
    Ciao

Some shots of fuselage fabric of a famous warbird ...
    Here are some pictures of "Vieux Charles" GUYNEMER's plane for perspective on the beautiful fuselage detail made by Eleonora:

Source:
    http://www.pyperpote.tonsite.biz/pages/spadviipag.html

Beautiful shots! Kalispera Alki k'efcharistò polì. I took inspiration also from another of Guynemer's Spads that you recognize in this photo http://www.arteaeronautica.com/page16.html
    Alki I think I'll make a greek Spad rudder too, or the fuselage roundel...
    I love Greece and it's History!
    Iasas
    good evening flyboys!

Great shot folks. Thanks for showing them. I have the F-Toys model of that plane in 1/144 but now I get to see a real one. GREAT.

It's relly interesting to compare 1/144 planes with real dimension! Makes us feel reality as it was!

Eleonora, as far as I am concerned you have brought to the Drome a new and important facet of our World War I experience. Your knowledge and expertise can be nothing but beneficial to this Forum.
    Thank you for your contribution to our interest.
    Rob.

Rob, Thank you for your beautiful words... I have to thank Angiolillo that made me know this wonderful community. I like to share what I reproduce with people that have same passion for planes. Your point of wiew is unusual too...and it's for my work a new source of inspiration too. I'm going to add some pieces to my collection... I need to move in an Hangar instead than an house...anyway... here a photo of the lab Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04791.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	61504Ciao Boyz

Eleonora,

I am astonished by the fuselage of SVA5 in the special projects section on your website. How long did it take you to complete that job?

... and the piece of canvas (I suppose) with the SM79 green mice?
    Last edited by Attila57; 09-29-2012 at 13:24.

Ciao Attila, the SVA was a project in collaboration with Aeronautica Militare 11°R.M.V. of Sigonella, for their 25 anniversary. It took quite 6 months and a lot of measures taken on the Vigna di Valle SVA 5.
    But mine is the SVA 10 of the 'Volo su Vienna', Pilot Natale Palli, host Gabriele d'Annunzio. I like very much that project! I 'm quite sure that most of planes with nice heraldic had in squadron some people that we can absolutely call painters and artists..
    it's so beautiful to see in the original how the brush was used ...and it's important to make the same!
    So a close view as possible is the main thing to do before starting a project. I post some photosClick image for larger version. 

Name:	sva12.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	61560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sva 3.jpg 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	61561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deriva con orsa.jpg 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	61562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02704.jpg 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	61563

Thx Eleonor for your kind answer! Incredible!!

For the 'Sorci verdi' the problem was mainly to find right sizes and spaces. Working in 1:1 scale means being as possible close to the concept of 'exact measure' ... the SM 79 is very big, so I have 3 big mice! For this work was also very important the camouflage. Colors are an hard experience for modellists and historicians, people fight on many forum because an interpretation of a color from b/n photos!
    I'ts hard and in some cases impossible to know how it was, but looking, and talking with people, and reading some tests..you can arrive at an 'interpretation'... I use the table named ' colori ufficialmente utilizzati dalla Regia Aeronautica'

Name:	sorci in progress.jpg 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	61564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sorci pronti 2.jpg 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	61565for this piece of fabric I had quite one month of working sessions!
    Ciao

p.s. I love these three...!

Thumbs up

Eleonora you are producing some absolutely stunning work.
    I dips me lid to your talent.

To repeat others great work Eleonora

It's really difficoult to understand the colours of these mice from b/w pics

Attachment 61653

Attachment 61654

205° Squadron "Sorci Verdi" has also a nice history in air races.

They won i 1937 the Istres - Damasco - Le Bourget (Parigi) race with a special version of S.M.79, the CS ("Sports Competions", without the characteristic hump of military version). There were also two B.R.20 A. At the beginning of 1938 they won the Guidonia (Roma) - Dakar - Rio de Janeiro race with the "T" version (trans-atlantic) with more fuel and autonomy to cross Atlantic Ocean.

My two cats prefer for obvious "pofessional" reasons the badge of the 51st Wing.

Attachment 61656

The three green mice in the clutches of the cat weren't a case. It wasn't an accident that the Regia Aeronautica Generaò Staff ordered that they had to be painted in gray colour for "political" reasons And that they return green at the beginning of the Battle of Britain where 51st Wing was present.

Now they are again more grey than green for camouflage reason on the tail of Italian Air Force AMX jet after F-104 era.

Attachment 61655

If you'll paint that badge we can tell that a really interesting story to our chaps on the forum.

Ciao Attilio, there are first some other mice that are waiting for my brushes... you told about Parigi Istres Damasco, I'd like to reproduce the 'three green' on that beautiful red livrea...
    there are a lot of camo and colors for SM79, and I started with an Aegean camouflage, that one was very difficult too... :-)
    I'll reproduce the cat too anyway, with the green version of the mice!
    How many stories have to tell us airplanes and their insignia! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02086.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	61657
    here is another kind of picture, a polimateric reinterpretation of a famous 'volo su Vienna'. The painter was Alfredo Gauro Ambrosi, aeropittore futurista.
    I'll post some other shots with work in progress!
    Ciao

some progress... and the final result Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02091.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	61663

Bellisima; absolutely beautiful work. If only I'd known your study existed when I was in Sicily earlier this year!
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 09-30-2012 at 10:25.

Oh Baldric, You are welcome next time you fly here around!!

Similar Missions

1. WGF Can anyone recomend some good modelling sites to swap off a bunch of 1/72 WWI kits?
    By James Denberger in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2012, 15:57
  2. Benefits of modelling your own aicraft?
    By TheRedOstrich in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 05:36
  3. Two Finnish modelling sites
    By Jäger in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 01:58
  4. Extreme sports for airmen.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 03:39