Ares Games

Thread: why do you ignore special damages during fire/collisions/etc?

Default why do you ignore special damages during fire/collisions/etc?

Hey everyone,

I don't have the rulebook handy right now but most of the books over the years have indicated that you ignore special damage symbols in various situations (i.e. when drawing at beginning of turn for fire). The only one that makes sense to me is the machine gun symbol which jams your opponents guns.

I was just curious if anyone knew the reason for this? I like the fact that your fire is giving you rudder grief and we always play that the special damage takes effect no matter what the reason for the extra draw.

Cheers,
    Michael

I have often pondered this myself Michael, and without Andrea making a prognostication on the reason, I can only suggest that it is in the interest of game ballance. The fire card can be very severe in its outcome even without extra damage. Also if your rudder and elevator was burnt through for instance you would be stuck with it for the rest of the game. Not much fun for you at all especially if you were heading off into Hunland at the time, unless you were a Hun that is.

Great idea, let's do it!
    Rob.

The first few times I played, when the game first came out, I didn't read the rules correctly (my God - I had way too many games back then).. and we all played with a rudder damage card affecting our planes for the rest of the game. It made for quite the interesting sorties. And of course we played with a plane which goes out of bounds is out, out, out and these two things combined absolutely added some laughter!

I fully think all the special damage should count for fires and collisions. And if you get a second rudder jam in the same direction it is gone, gone, gone.

Michael

Play balance sure... but, also consider that the special damages are to reflect enemy fire on the target. Normally, when you are on fire, that gun fire ceases, or if it continues... well, any special damage there would still apply.

Similar Missions

1. Collisions (with no altitude)
    By nillu in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 13:59
  2. Collisions
    By Marechallannes in forum Polls
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 12:44
  3. Collisions and Balloons
    By LeBru in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 6