Ares Games

Thread: Meeting the "Tante Ju" at Nuernberg International Airport

Default Meeting the "Tante Ju" at Nuernberg International Airport

Met the old Lady Saturday night at Nuernberg International (the place I work)

http://www.lufthansa-ju52.de/de/Die-...U-52/index.php

Unfortunately my colleague shook the camera when he took the picture with me standing in front of the JU52.

Not too many of these "Tantes" are left.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Not too many of these "Tantes" are left.
    Between the USAAF, the RAF, the SAF, and an ill-conceived adventure in the Low Countries, they were made *just* a little hard to come by....

Default Tante Ju & 'Niece'

Stumbled across Tante Ju and a Taifun keeping her company on an old Warsaw Pact airfield north of Berlin in 2010. Certainly put a smile on my face, particularly with the noise!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1206 lufthansa.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	61048

Name:	1207 taxi.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	61049

Name:	1212 formation.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	61050

More photos here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1713

Grateful if anyone can identify the airfield - very close to a major road (not autobahn) and had HAS sites on it.

Didn't get to see her fly but did get to see one.

Name:	DCP_4422.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	61051

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Between the USAAF, the RAF, the SAF, and an ill-conceived adventure in the Low Countries, they were made *just* a little hard to come by....
    Actually, there might be more than you think - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airworthy_Ju_52s

That's 4 airworthy Ju52s, plus another 4 CASA-built. I know of at least 2 static display CASAs in Europe too. Apart from the ubiquitous Dak in all its variants, I'd hazard that there aren't too many other large pre-WW2 transport types still around in the 21st C in those sort of numbers.

Great photo's, good to see!

Name:	DCP_4428.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	61052
    This was the first time I saw a Ju52 static or flying. To see one fly must be an exceptional experiane that I hope to have next year.

Thumbs up

When I was in New Guinea for 3 months back in 1958 (I was just 21! LoL!) they were still flying these into the mountain Airstrips there as they were the only Aircraft that could land on the short strips.
    Incidently QANTAS up there were still using ex Airforce DC-3's with the canvas side seats & cargo strapped in the center between the side rows.
    My how air travel has changed!

The Lufthansa 52 flew at a couple of Duxford shows over the past few years. The IWM Duxford recently sold theirs, citing it didn't fit into the core collection, or somesuch nonsense .

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    When I was in New Guinea for 3 months back in 1958 (I was just 21! LoL!) they were still flying these into the mountain Airstrips there as they were the only Aircraft that could land on the short strips.
    Incidently QANTAS up there were still using ex Airforce DC-3's with the canvas side seats & cargo strapped in the center between the side rows.
    My how air travel has changed!
    Not necessarily: I flew back from Alice Springs to the east coast in an ARDU Dak in 1994. Made for a very long day, but a great chance to see the GAFA at 6000' AGL. I think the aircraft's age was greater than the sum of the crew's!

I was turned on last year to the Reading Air Show. All WWII stuff and the wife enjoyed it so now I am hooked. Will attend all the events I can and I know I will enjoy them all. Next month there is one in Westminster MD but a static display by the COLLINS foundation. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Actually, there might be more than you think - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airworthy_Ju_52s

That's 4 airworthy Ju52s, plus another 4 CASA-built. I know of at least 2 static display CASAs in Europe too. Apart from the ubiquitous Dak in all its variants, I'd hazard that there aren't too many other large pre-WW2 transport types still around in the 21st C in those sort of numbers.
    The various DC-3/C-47/R4D/Dakota/etc. operators around the world would like to dispute this.... >:)

The various DC-3/C-47/R4D/Dakota/etc. operators around the world would like to dispute this.... >
    I'm sure the various DC3, etc operators around the world are fairly literate and would not have disputed my comment because if, unlike you, they'd bothered to actually read my post, they would have seen that I said 'Apart from the Dak(ota) in all its variants'!
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 09-26-2012 at 15:39.

I'm sure the various DC3, etc operators around the world are fairly literate and would not have disputed my comment because if, unlike you, they'd bothered to actually read my post, they would have seen that I said 'Apart from the Dak(ota) in all its variants'!
    The only "Dak" I'm familiar with is "Deutsches Afrika Korps" -- you're the first person I've ever read/heard refer to the DC-3/etc. as "Dak".

The only "Dak" I'm familiar with is "Deutsches Afrika Korps" -- you're the first person I've ever read/heard refer to the DC-3/etc. as "Dak".
    Ok then, in the context of the phrase 'Dak in all it's variants' when referring to pre-WWII transport aircraft, explain the relevence of the Deutsches Afrika Korps. I think I'm fairly secure in saying that anyone who served in the RAAF between about 1940 and 2000 would recognise 'Dak' as a colloquial shortening of 'C47 Dakota'.

Ok then, in the context of the phrase 'Dak in all it's variants' when referring to pre-WWII transport aircraft, explain the relevence of the Deutsches Afrika Korps.
    None whatever -- which why, when I read it, I asked myself "what is he on about?", then moved along.

I think I'm fairly secure in saying that anyone who served in the RAAF between about 1940 and 2000 would recognise 'Dak' as a colloquial shortening of 'C47 Dakota'.
    One of whom I am not. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Didn't get to see her fly but did get to see one.
    I just discovered this thread while looking for game info to go with a Zvezda Ju-52 model I completed. My daughter and I were fortunate to get an inside tour of this exact same plane many decades ago (1980's) when it was at an air show in Indiana. The gentleman knew the Ju-52 inside and out, and it was a pleasure to learn so much about it from such an expert.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misc 35 JU-52.jpg   Misc 36 JU-52.jpg  
    Last edited by abovetheclouds; 08-19-2020 at 18:25.

It is good to hear that an aircraft so venerable is still in service. They built the Ju.52's to be strong and durable.

cool pics guys! wish i had digital copies of the confederate airforces ju 52 i took years ago.

Similar Missions

1. National: 4 NUOVE ESPANSIONI "CUSTOM" per "Wing of Glory"
    By mumo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 12:58
  2. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39
  4. "A" Flight 18 "Hearts of Oak" Sqd RNAS
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 22:50
  5. "Climb" and "dive" cards?
    By rosscoc87 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4