Ares Games

Thread: Ares releasing new gaming mats.

Default Ares releasing new gaming mats.

I've just been informed that we should be seeing new gaming mats from Ares in time for Christmas this year. I don't have any photos of them just yet, but my bet is it is the one they were showing off at GenCon:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aresmats.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	61016

We should be hearing more on these very soon!

Looks much better than the Nexus ones; although no no man's land can be seen, it may be used for WGF eventually.

Shame the logo couldn't be a bit bigger though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    good sense of humour

I'm sure it will get lots of use in WGF.

And yes, they did not correct the number one complaint about the old Nexus mats... the huge logos. Unless of course this was a reproduction mat designed to be used at conventions.

The mat as shown is the convention version - it's based on the same imagery and of course we WANT the logo to be big, so that people walking the aisle get to know what's going on. It's not the same mat that will be on sale, in size, material... and logo size.

We'll most likely present this style of game mat as WW2 game mat, but of course it's perfectly playable with WW1 as well.

Do we have any ideas about the price and will it be compatible with the previous mats?

The size should be the same as before, and I think that price will also be similar (it was $ 35 for WoW mats). However it's a new illustration, and it has been created so that it is a modular system, so it's not backward compatible.

Don't be sarky Squadron Leader. You can always get your little paint set out. I'm just grateful that it will give us something to put the planes / my G&T, on at Conventions.
    Kyte.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-24-2012 at 11:10.

Steve, to make you happy, we'll make the logo bigger, ok?

If the new mats are like the picture I might buy a couple they look better than the WOW WWI ones (apart from the logo)

Hmmm...How will I be able not to buy these, even though they won't work with the old ones? The answer is probably: In no way at at all - They simply look too great.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    If the new mats are like the picture I might buy a couple they look better than the WOW WWI ones (apart from the logo)
    Indeed, they are. Actually, the mat we used at Gencon is based on the "countryside" mat (we'll have three different "modules") joined with a second copy of the same mat.

Quote Originally Posted by robdimeglio View Post
    Indeed, they are. Actually, the mat we used at Gencon is based on the "countryside" mat (we'll have three different "modules") joined with a second copy of the same mat.
    Thanks Rob.
    That will indeed be very useful to simulate different scenarios.
    You don't always want the trenches, but sometimes you do.
    Now an alternative with medium cloud cover would be great!
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Don't be sarky Squadron Leader. You can always get your little paint set out. I'm just grateful that it will give us something to put the planes / my G&T, on at Conventions.
    Kyte.
    Remember Rob;
    Steve has a nice mat from Iberian Shadow he brought back for the States.
    I'll certainly be looking at the new mats when they come out.
    Karl

So, time to update the Coming Releases tracker and my spreadsheet... hey, Herr Oberst, can we get that thread stickied?

Kadett

Smile

This sounds very good. Now there is a chance of wing of glory making me poor.......

This is great news. I was just thinking about mats over the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    So, time to update the Coming Releases tracker and my spreadsheet... hey, Herr Oberst, can we get that thread stickied?
    Umm, look on left of the Home page for a permanent sticky I do need to update it with their latest release announcements though.

That is a great map to fly on. I use a Holtz mat but this is pretty cool and I will buy it for sure.

As will I. I have a beauty from Iberian Shadow, 8' by 4', and we love it, but it's always nice to have an alternate.
    Bruce

Thumbs up

I for one will definately be buying them!

Oh yeah! I can't wait!

Those look great sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Umm, look on left of the Home page for a permanent sticky I do need to update it with their latest release announcements though.
    Are we trying to steal each other's thunder? LOL I was just looking for a shortcut to find the thread and update it... *lightbulb* Duh, why didn't I bookmark it earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Kyte.
    Nah, don't need my paints. As Karl said, I appear to have picked up an absolutely spiffy game mat during my adventures in Ohio. My club has found this perfectly capable of resisting no end of beer/G&T glasses

Steve, to make you happy, we'll make the logo bigger, ok?
    I wouldn't worry about that Roberto, just slap some trenches over it

Must have......must have.....must increase size of credit card

I prefere one that's still in the works by our French friends.
    It looks like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vue-ge10.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	61179

There's even a neat new feature: an altitude line in the hill will tell you when you are flying too low to clear it (the hill I mean).

as long as it is not as gaudy coloured as the nexxus one, I'll buy it. I can't stand the bright colours they used.

I was wandering when these might appear!?! Lookin good though, and is it too late to consider 'reversible' sides so we get 2 scenario maps for the price of 1?

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    I prefere one that's still in the works by our French friends.
    It looks like this:
    There's even a neat new feature: an altitude line in the hill will tell you when you are flying too low to clear it (the hill I mean).
    Now that does look quite stunning!

/Niclas

Now those are pretty - all I have to do now (having purchased both the originals) is justify buying 2 more, lol

We've plans to release Cyril's Verdun mats in 2013 as a special "campaign series" for WW1.... stay tuned! But the current maps are more generic, and modular. They will be two different types of products, but they will both reach the market in due time.

We've plans to release Cyril's Verdun mats in 2013 as a special "campaign series" for WW1.... stay tuned! But the current maps are more generic, and modular. They will be two different types of products, but they will both reach the market in due time.
    What a superb idea Roberto.
    This sounds just like what we have all been waiting for.
    If you put No mans land one third of the way in on one of the mats, and the pair of mats can be made to match at the edges it will give endless possibilities of mixing several mats in all sorts of configurations.
    Rob.

What logo I can't see a logo? Is it hidden behind that big Ares and Wings of Glory notification ?

Similar Missions

1. Battle/Gaming mats???
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 19:40
  2. More gaming mats?
    By WilliamBarkerVC in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 19:48
  3. Big Online Stores Showing WWI DRS Releasing in Feb '11?
    By Super Handley in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 22:40
  4. official gaming mats any good?
    By olsen in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 16:51
  5. Gaming Mats
    By usmc1855 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 14:03