Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wings of War vs. Wings of Glory

Exclamation Wings of War vs. Wings of Glory

G'day Fellow Pilots!
    Keith has asked me to give a summary of the differences &/or changes introduced by the relaunch of Wings of Glory compaired to Wings of War slanted mostly towards the newer players who may not be aware of the development of the Game from its inception.

Introduction:

You must remember that when Wings of War was introduced with Famous Aces it was a Card based game with no minatures.
    As the game progressed there were new rules written to cover the 2 seater Aircraft that were introduced in the Watch Your Back box then further new rules came with the Burning Drachens box which introduced Balloon Busting.
    The Rules set now had the additional option of playing with Altitude which became possable with the introduction of the minatures with Flight Stands & pegs.

Next came the Flight of the Giants box which introduced additional rules for Large Bombers.
    About this time Nexus who were the suppliers went into liquidation & the supply of models dried up before any of the Bomber models became available. There had been 4 series of Scouts & 2 Seaters introduced over a period of time but trying to find supplies became a real headache.

One thing to remember is that as the expanded rules became available in the various Box sets the Rules were not rewritten like for example Games Workshop's Fantasy & 40K rules but only added to to cover new gaming options with new Aircraft etc.

The one problem was that you really had to buy all the new Box releases to get the new added rules.

Now that Ares have relaunched the Game & issued the new Rules & Accessory Packs ALL the Rules are now available in one book & are set out in excellent sections with great illustrations to highlight the rules.

Whilst there are no huge changes to the old rules there are many subtle changes & in my opinion improvements.

Part Two of this Thread will highlight the main changes & differences.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 09-26-2012 at 11:03.

Exclamation Wings of War/Glory the differences.

First off I will give an overview of the new Rules & Accessory Pack:

In addition to the Rule Book you also get all the Damage Decks--A, B, C & D, Bomb cards, Trench & AA Gun cards, Ace skills & tokens plus 2 rulers, Control Boards & 2 sets of various counters.

The Rule book has illustrations of the Gameing materials in the set & then has sections covering BASIC RULES (which help newbies ease into the game in a very basic way), STANDARD RULES, ADVANCED RULES (which includes Altitude), OPTIONAL RULES, SPECIAL PLANES & BALLOONS, GROUND UNITS, SPECIAL WEAPONS & finally SCENARIO RULES.
    There is a Summary or Index at the very back of the book to assist you find all the various rules easily.

As a comparison the Burning Drachen Rule book had a Standard Rules section, an Optional Rules section that covered Altitude, Balloons, Ground Fire & finally Altitude Optional Rules & a Scenario Section.

Flight of the Giant Rule Book introduced for the Large Bombers, Basic Rules, Optional Rules, Altitude, Special Rules for Specific Bombers & Scenarios.

In Part Three I will give a summary of which rules have been changed, improved or updated.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 09-23-2012 at 20:19.

Exclamation Wings of War/Glory the differences----part 3

So now we come to show the actual changes to the old rules:

Manouver Decks.
    When the cards for the early war Aircraft were first released the Fokker E.III & Morane were allocated the P Deck & the Halberstadt & DH-2 were allocated the G Deck. Those players who knew their history knew that the latter 2 were more manouverable & faster than the Fokker & there was much discussion on the Forum about this.
    Andrea one of the Games designers is most particular to try for historical accuracy & took this on board so when the new series 5 early war minis were released the Fokker & Morane were allocated a new T deck & the Halberstadt & DH-2 allocated the P deck which far better reflects their abilities.
    These are the only changes to all the Manouver Decks in existance!

Special Damage Changes
    We will cover these in the order they appear in the new RAP Rule Book.

Crew Member Hit
    Under the old rules up to Flight of the Giants this Special Damage was ignored for Single seat Aircraft & only affected the Observer/Gunner of 2 Seaters.
    In the new rules the Pilot of a Single Seater cannot fire his Machine Gun whilst making a Steep Manouver, Immlemann, Split S or a Climb after taking this damage. In addition if he suffers a Gun Jam he takes 4 manouver cards to clear his gun instead of 3.
    If the Pilot takes a second Wound the Pilot is incapacited & his Aircraft is eliminated.

If flying a 2 Seater then you use the rules as listed for Giant Aircraft & draw 2 markers to see which crew member is wounded.

Smoke &/or Fire
    There are some interesting changes to these rules.
    First if a Smoking Aircraft suffers a second Smoking Damage whilst still Smoking it takes a Fire Damage instead.
    An Aircraft on Fire also Smokes.

If an Aircraft suffers a Fire Damage under the new rules the Pilot cannot plan or use any Straight Manouver whilst on Fire. This reflects his efforts to put the fire out & away from himself by constantly turning.
    This restriction also means he cannot perform an Immlemann or Split S whilst on Fire.

Altitude
    A major change here in that the Basic bottom level is now 1 whereas previously it was 0.
    The Pegs are used to represent levels 1 to 4 but if you use the optional Altitude Rules you can add pegs up to the Max Altitude allocated to the plane you are flying.

Overdive
    There are some small changes to Overdive which gives advantages to an Overdiving Aircraft including being more difficult to hit & trying to use Overdive to Extingrish a Fire.

Climb Rates & Max Altitude
    There are a number of changes to the table for both Climb Rates & Max Altitude to quite a few Aircraft & these are given in full for all Aircraft for which there are Cards or Models on page 14 of the new rule book.

Firing
    There is a +1 damage bonus in the first phase of firing for planes firing in its front arc at a plane 1 level of Altitude lower.

Two Seater Crew Damage
    As mentioned above if a 2 seater takes a Crew Hit damage you must take 2 crewman hit counters, shuffle them & draw one at random. If a I is drawn the Pilot is hit & apply the normal rule for the Pilot being wounded.
    If a II is drawn then the Observer/gunner is wounded & can no longer fire the rear firing M/Gun.

Observers Firing & Immlemann Turns
    Some 2 Seaters can perform Immlemanns but cannot fire during the 3 card sequence of making that manouver.
    If the observers fires during the preceeding Straight then the Aircraft can not do the Immlemann.

Incendiary Bullets & Balloons.
    There is an additional rule now that a Balloon that takes a Special Damage of Smoke, Rudder Jam, Engine Damage or any 5 points of Damage Card from an Aircraft with Incendiary Bullets treats it as a Fire Damage instead.

Ace Skills
    Ace Skills were officially added to the rules. They are slightly tweaked from the web version that was released back in 2004.
    Well that appears to be the main changes to the previous rules & I firmly believe it is well worth buying the new Rules & Accessories Pack just to have all the various rules available in one easy to access source in the new comprehensive Rule Book.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 11-12-2012 at 23:28.

Exclamation

The final installment in this Thread will be to list all the WoW products in release order & compare the closest or direct (if any) replacement by WoG. There will be a link at the bottom to take you to Skystalkers excellent listing of all Aircraft Cards & Manouver Decks etc included in all the WoW products.

WoW Famous Aces Box 2004
    Rule Book, Aircraft Cards,
    "A"Damage Deck plus Manouver Decks
    Rulers & Control Boards & Tokens.
    WoG replacement:
    New Rules & Accessories Pack has the revised rules Book plus all the 4 Damage Decks, Control Boards, Rulers & Tokens but NO Aircraft Cards

WoW Watch Your Back Box 2005
    Introduces 2 seat Aircraft Cards
    Rule Book, "B" Damage Deck & Manouver Decks etc.
    WoG: Replacement again the new Rules & Accessory Pack but no Aircraft Cards

WoW Burning Drachans Box 2005
    Introduces Balloon Cards
    Rule Book & Damage Decks etc.
    WoG: Replacement once again the new RAP but No Balloon or Aircraft Cards.

WoW Recon Patrol Booster pack 2006
    New Aircraft Cards & Manouver Decks
    WoG: No direct replacement

WoW Top Fighters 2006

WoW Delux Box Set 2007
    4 model aircraft plus revised rule book
    Manouver & Damage decks etc
    WoG: No direct Replacement but 2 of the planned Duel sets plus the RAP will give you the same outcome

WoW Dogfight Booster Pack 2008
    More new Aircraft cards & Manouver Decks
    WoG: Again no direct replacement

WoW Immlemann Booster Pack 2008
    Introduces early war Aircraft Cards,
    & Manouver Decks
    WoG:Once again no direct replacement

WoW 2007 to 2010
    Series 1 to 4 Minatures Introduced.
    Each Series has 4 Aircraft each in
    3 Colour different schemes
    Manouver Cards, Damage Decks, stands & Pegs
    WoG: Series 1 planned to be reprinted late 2012 with 3 original colour schemes & 9 new schemes

WoW 2 Playmats (East & West sections)
    Released in 2009
    WoG: Two new style mats planned for release in the "near" future

WoW Crossfire Booster Pack 2010

WoW Hit & Run Booster Pack 2010
    Yet more new Aircraft Cards & Manouver Decks
    WoG: Again no direct replacement

WoW Balloon Busters Box 2010
    Balloon & Nieuport Scout with Rockets in 2 colours
    Rule Book, Control Boards, C & D damage Decks
    & Manouver Deck for Nieuport etc
    WoG: No replacement available

WoW Flight of the Giants Box 2010
    Introduces Giant Bombers & Flying Boats,
    Control Cards, Manouver Decks & Tokens.
    WoG: No direct replacement but RAPack gives you everything you need except Airplane Cards but you can buy the Gotha & Caponi minis.

WoW Revised Delux Box Set 2011
    Reissue of original Delux Set but with
    4 new Colour Schemes
    WoG: No direct replacement but with the RAPack & 2 Duel Aircraft Packs you get the same result

WoG Releases listed below

Early 2012 Release of Giant Bomber Minis
    Gotha & Caponi each in 2 colour schemes
    with Stands, Pegs & Manouver Decks

July 2012 Release of Series 5 early war Scouts
    Fokker E.III, Halberstadt D.III, DH-2 & Morane N
    Each in 3 different Colour schemes with Stand,
    Pegs & Manouver Cards.

August 2012 New Rules & Accessories Pack
    Revised Rule Book, New style Control Boards,
    All 4 Damage Decks, Rulers & Tokens

October 2012 Bags of 100 Flight Pegs.

Ace Ability Card packs but only available
    through the Boardgamegeek shop.

Late 2012 New Duel Aircraft Packs
    featuring one Allied & one
    Central Powers Aircraft with
    Manouver cards, Stand & Pegs

End 2012 Re issue of Series 1 Minis
    with 1 original scheme for each Aircraft
    & 2 new schemes for each Aircraft.

January 2013 3 new Gaming Mats.
    Country,City & Coast.
    Each mat is 98cm x 68cm.

Hopefully you will find this information helpful & for a complete listing off all items in the Old Wings of War products click Here to go to Skystalkers post.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 11-07-2012 at 17:49.

In this post I'll show the differences in paint schemes of the miniatures between Wings of War (Nexus) and Wings of Glory (Ares). I've highlighted the new pilots in blueto quickly identify the "replacements".

Series 1

Fokker Dr.I

Pilot WoW Code Notes Pilot WGF Code Notes
    MvR WW07j All Red MvR WGF104A No Change
    Kempf WW07k White/Black Kirschstein WGF104B Black and white stripes
    Rahn WW07l Black/Yellow Lothar von Richthofen WGF104C Green Yellow

Albatros D.Va

Udet WW07g Black Udet WGF103A No Change
    Weber WW07h Wood (yellow) & 1 Von Hippel WGF103B Grey w/ "Blitz"
    Jentsch WW07i Wood (yellow) Black Band Jacobs WGF103C Black overall

SPAD XIII

Baracca WW07a Overall Tan Coadou WGF101B Yellow stripes
    Fonck WW07b Camo w/Red star Madon WGF101C Red fuselage
    Rickenbacker WW07c Camo Rickenbaker WGF101A No Change

Sopwith Camel

Barker WW07d Black & white stripes Barker WGF102A No Change
    Ellwood WW07e Hearts Ellwood WGF102B No Change
    Olieslagers WW07f Green 7 White tail Stackard WGF102C Blue circles

Here are the photos prototypes that we have seen. If no photo is available, I've posted a profile of the plane in question to give an idea of what it should look like.

Kirschstein

Jacobs' D.Va and LvR's Dr.I

Von Hippel

Madon's SPAD and Stackard's Camel

Profile drawing of Coadou's SPAD

It should be noted that the Elwood Camel was slated to be replaced by a captured Camel flown by Kissenberth. This mini would have looked like this:

Kissenberth' Camel (Cancelled)

Just coming back after my year long deployment and this is super helpful....thanks!

Welcome back to the world Aaron.

Yes good to have you back again Aaron, from all the U.K. chaps.
    Rob.

Great stuff not been on here for a while and this has been a great help.

Currently reading the new rules too
    With single seaters it is now optional to hide pilot-hit damage. So pilot-hit damage is always revealed to everyone in the standard/advanced rules.
    Optional is also that you can draw tokens to see how many hits an aicrafts crew will take. With this even single seaters can get two pilot-hits at once (eliminating the aircraft as usual).

Thanks for pointing this out Daniel.
    Note to self, read rules again.

Thanks for the comaparisons between the original & new releases. I didn't realize some releases were being replaced with others. Sad in some ways, but it makes sense, in trying to satisfy both old & new fans. Hope the original releases that got cut see re-releases at some point. I'd rather buy them from Ares than secondary.

The rules are all being/have been combined into the R&A packs, so we are not losing out on that front. The different paint schemes that are being dropped should return at a later reprinting. It's my understanding that Ares plans on rotating different paint schemes in and out of production. What we don't know is how often this will happen. With the physical reprint schedule and swapping paint jobs in and out, it is quite possible it could be years before we see some of them again.

Well I broke down this week and bought the new rules boxed set after seeing it at Rock Con last weekend. I hate to pay for the same thing twice since I already own all the previous boxed sets. I will admit t is nice to have all the rules in one place. Ares did a nice job with the book with excellent illustrations and a soft cover. I will also give Ares due credit for incorporating all the previous releases and keeping the game going where it left off. Based on all the new releases that have already come out and are due to release it appears Ares is a company that may be able to support the desire for new product as well as reprints. My hat is off to them so far.

Thumbs up

Yes they have certainly got their act together & have released lots of goodies now in a relative short time.

I really, really, really want Von Hippel and Jacobs Albs..they look awesome. I also want Kirschstein Dr!!!

You'll need two of the Kirschstein minis. A simple red "LO" painted on each side turns it into Udet's Dr.I as well

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    You'll need two of the Kirschstein minis. A simple red "LO" painted on each side turns it into Udet's Dr.I as well
    Useful info Keith (note to self: order another one)

Good thinking batman.

OH yes!
    Rob.

Great post, very useful!

I would just add that ace rules are somehow new, since they are officially published for the first time. They were around on the net since 2004 for WoW, but they have been revised a bit to match the standard of WW2 ones - especially adding the rule about recovery tokens.

A little note - the blind spot of two-seaters was effective at same height or lower in WoW too (see Flight of the Giants and WW1 Deluxe rulebooks).

The list of products could include also Aces Cards, even if only sold at the BoardGameGeek shop, and could be now updated with the bag of pegs (available) and game mats (to be released in December).

Thanks again for the great work!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Great post, very useful!

I would just add that ace rules are somehow new, since they are officially published for the first time. They were around on the net since 2004 for WoW, but they have been revised a bit to match the standard of WW2 ones - especially adding the rule about recovery tokens.

A little note - the blind spot of two-seaters was effective at same height or lower in WoW too (see Flight of the Giants and WW1 Deluxe rulebooks).

The list of products could include also Aces Cards, even if only sold at the BoardGameGeek shop, and could be now updated with the bag of pegs (available) and game mats (to be released in December).

Thanks for your interest Andrea. We can add the new items as they become announced/available.

Wonderful stuff!!! Thanks everyone for the great info!!!

Great post, very useful!

Thanks Andrea. I've updated the thread with the Ace Skills and removed the blind spot reference.

As this thread is intended to people understand the differences between WOW and WGF and what products replace/update the older ones, new products that have only been released as WGF will not be added/covered here (the exception is the new paint schemes as they are being released with some of the old ones).

Ok thanks a lot, very clear!

>WoW 2 Playmats (East & West sections)
    >Released in 2009
    >WoG: Two new style mats planned for release in the "near" future

They are actually three.

>WoG: Two new style mats planned for release in the "near" future

They are actually three.
    And they look marvelous! http://www.aresgames.eu/games/wings-...line/game-mats

Name:  800x600_wings-of-glory_WGA502A.jpg
Views: 6045
Size:  144.9 KB
    Name:  800x600_wings-of-glory_WGA502B.jpg
Views: 6010
Size:  147.4 KB
    Name:  800x600_wings-of-glory_WGA502C.jpg
Views: 6034
Size:  118.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Incendiary Bullets & Balloons.
    There is an additional rule now that a Balloon that takes a Special Damage of Smoke, Rudder Jam, Engine Damage or any 5 points of Damage Card from an Aircraft with Incendiary Bullets treats it as a Fire Damage instead.
    This has been FAQed to read "When a balloon takes a smoke, rudder jammed, or engine damage result from an airplane with incendiary bullets, treats it as fire instead. Any 5 points damage card also inflict a fire special damage.”.

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    This has been FAQed to read "When a balloon takes a smoke, rudder jammed, or engine damage result from an airplane with incendiary bullets, treats it as fire instead. Any 5 points damage card also inflict a fire special damage.”.
    I had noticed this ammendment myself, and thought it would make them too easy to down.
    Rob.

Don't know how I missed this but thanks for the pics of the new planes we will be getting.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Laurence
    Sorties Flown

I've been away for a fair while now, but just got back into it.
    I'm confused, are the old starter sets and booster packs still in print, because I'm only really interested in the card game, not the models.
    Mainly, can I still buy Flight of the Giants and Crossfire?

Currently none of the old Nexus products are in production. You will have to find "old" versions of those products. While Ares has not said they are going mini only for Wings of Glory, they currently have no plans to produce card only sets... at least not in the next year or two.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Laurence
    Sorties Flown

Oh. Well blast. That's no good. Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by pivole View Post
    Oh. Well blast. That's no good. Thanks for the information.
    Laurence, I picked up two Crossfire boosters this week from Nexus in the States. I think they also had an FOG. in stock.
    You just need to search around for the odd packs here and there. Do beware of Amazon. They are putting a lot of stuff up that comes from France and whilst the prices are O.K. the postage markup is extortionate.
    Rob.

Fritz1418

After reading this..I`m really happy to be back after one year...
    The new modells are ordered; I will be back in the sky Prost!

Welcome back. As a late starter here, let me tell you & anyone else interested, it's not to late to get (re)started, now's a GREAT time!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Sebastien
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for all these informations. Loud & clear !

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

I was setting up my upcoming campaign, sorting cards and making sure the decks were complete etc. I found this anomaly:

The new deck A cards are about 1/8 inch shorter. Not just the straight as illustrated here but also the turns.

Name:  DSCN0213.jpg
Views: 4834
Size:  120.3 KB

How interesting Jonathan.
    Maybe someone from Ares would care to comment on this annomaly.
    Rob.

I think this is due to offsetting trapezoidal shape of the transparent base.

About the two-seater crew damage: is it hidden in WoG? Are other special damages hidden?

You only need to show, fire, smoke or more obviously jammed guns damage to your opponent Dustin, although the discerning pilot may notice such pointers from his enemy as no fire coming from the rear gunner, stalls occuring each turn, or the pilot taking four moves to unjam his guns, or failing to fire just after he has Immelmanned.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Well, Dan, I do not think so as none of the other sets exhibited this. The Snipe deck is still as fast, for instance, and is now the fastest deck out there.
    Last edited by Suffern; 05-21-2013 at 06:40.

The new rules do say you have to announce a wounded pilot card

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Another difference, FWIW. I got an accessories set the other day and broke it down and one thing stood out. The C deck is exactly equal to two C decks in WOW. That is a pleasant surprise although a bit curious.
    I swear the new rulers are a hair shorter but when I compared them again the other day, I couldn't see any appreciable difference. The guys, though, are convinced there is a difference and won't play with the new ones. Some dice seem not to work as well as others do to some folks -- it must be the color <g>.

There are no aircraft cards apart from those that come with miniatures in WOG. I had not thought about that before now as well.

Are there any rules (or house rules) for performance differences based on altitude?

You mean different performance for the same plane at different altitudes? None that I've ever seen.

Hello all, realize that I'm kind of on the back end of this conversation but I would like to ask for some info. I have just traded for a nice starting set of WoG. Got the new Rules pack and 14 planes. My questions are; is it beneficial to pick up some of the old Booster packs? Or are there WoW things that it would be good to own now? I would like to do Balloon busting missions eventually, should I get the WoW balloon box for the balloon maneuver cards, or do the balloon maneuver cards come only with the WoW balloon models? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gentlemen for any help.

Hi William,

The old boosters are only good if you are playing cards only or want to repaint minis to match them. As for the balloons, they don't have maneuver cards as they are stationary. You can get the heavy card balloons in the old BD boxed set. If you are playing with minis only, you would need the Balloon Buster boxed set.

I would gather all I could as they are getting rare and they are helpful for expanding the game. Rumors on the horizon of reprints of the balloons are heard on occasion . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Svět deskových her - hraní Wings of Glory (Wings of War)
    By Ladinek in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 11:51
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53
  3. N. England & Scotland Wings of War and Wings of Glory
    By Lien Leposh in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 13:19
  4. Why Glory and no more Wings?
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 25