Ares Games

Thread: LGKR Memorial Medal

Default LGKR Memorial Medal

My fellow pilots,

As many of you already know, we lost a valued pilot of our digital skies here. Don "LGKR" Bonner passed away earlier this month. In the grand scheme of life, the loss to our little game is be humbled by the loss to his family and friends. Don left behind not only a grateful gaming community, but more sadly, a wife and two sons.

I have worked with Maxheadroom and Charlie3 to setup a small donation process to allow those of that would like to to donate to Don's family to help them with any needs they may have in this difficult time.

From now until 13Oct12, any donations sent to the site via the donation block on the home page (down the left hand side) will be sent to Don's family. For your generous efforts, each member will receive the new LGKR Memorial Medal.

I hope the men and women of this site will join me in wearing it proudly. If you do contribute, please request your medal via this link (it will help me out greatly with all of this).

Blue Sky's Don!
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 09-22-2012 at 20:23.

What a beautiful gesture. I really wish I could have met or had the chance to chat with Don - he seemed like a pretty incredible guy.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    From now until 13Oct12, any donations sent to the site via the donation block on the home page (down the left hand side) will be sent to Don's family. For your generous efforts, each member will receive the new LGKR Memorial Medal.
    Great Idea Colonel! I was hoping something like this was in the works.

Maybe one of our gifted artists in residence could design a memorial wall/window for our fallen friends, I am remembering one in a museum in Auckland NZ, just thinking out loud . . . it was inspiring and wonderful.

Clipper

Quote Originally Posted by celticgriffon View Post
    What a beautiful gesture. I really wish I could have met or had the chance to chat with Don - he seemed like a pretty incredible guy.

Michael
    Agree 100%. It's a fantastic idea & a worthy cause.

This is a nice gesture. I can imagine that it would be nice for his family to know that Don was liked by people out there that they probably didn't even know about.

/Niclas

Thumbs up

Yes Keith, great inititive.
    Hope you get a great response.
    I have sent mine.

Exclamation

Keith it might be best if you can keep this thread up at the Top of the section so it does not get "lost" with other posts jumping it.

Me too donation made.

Thanks to everyone that had contributed so far. You should all have your medals now.

I am in. I know money cannot return your loved ones who passed away, but still, maybe our donation will help the family in some way.

Just made the donation to another worthy cause started here. Again shows how great the people in this room are.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    I am in. I know money cannot return your loved ones who passed away, but still, maybe our donation will help the family in some way.
    My sentiments as well.
    Tony

Donation made, wish it could be more,

<- still trying to figure out what "LGKR" stood for in the first place...

Thanks everyone for joining in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    No it can't, but if it helps with any of the financial burdens that are bound to arise, maybe it will help relieve a little of the stress.

Really sad about this news.

Excellent initiative. Donation sent.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    <- still trying to figure out what "LGKR" stood for in the first place...
    If you look at his avatar you will see that it is a rhino. LGKR are the initals of his nick name when he was dressing up in metal armor and fighting with wooden weapons in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)in his 20's. It stands for Lord God King Rhino. He was quite the fighter in his day, often bellowing as he charged, prompting the name. There are pictures of him fighting in his photo albums on his personal page which is now a memorial page so that the site would not lose his postings.
    Last edited by Charlie3; 09-28-2012 at 04:20. Reason: additions

Thank you Col. for the medal. It is exactally the kind of thing he would find funny and he would appreciate the fact that it is helpful as well...Great Rhino graphics!

Glad to have gotten all my financial affairs sorted in time. Donation made.

From one warrior to another (I do medieval combat/re-enactment). Sincere condolences, and donation made.

May Don "LGKR" Bonner's soul travel in serene blue skies.

Donation sent.

It's so encouraging to see new members having a feel for the community.
    Alkis.

OMG! How did I miss this.... Donation made!

Having been away from the site for awhile, I had not seen this sad news. My heart goes out to his family. I only wish I had seen this sooner so I could also have made a donation.

I didn't catch first post. Am I to late to donate

My deepest sympathies go to all family members

I just realized that I never updated this thread. With the kind donations from everyone, we were able to send the Bonner family $500. Money could never replace a lost loved one, but hopefully it helps with some bills or just makes the first Christmas without him a little brighter his kids.

I'd also like to personally thank all of those that donated again. So, THANK YOU!

Sounds like we did good, Sir

Again, please extend our best wishes to the family.
    Karl

That is good to hear.

That's neat - well done for rallying round you chaps.

Let's hope our little gesture will bring a little cheer to the family in this sad time

This is just the example of the kind of people in here. Always thoughtful everytime a request is put forth. Great bunch of folks.

Similar Missions

1. Fitting Memorial
    By Tommy Z in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-30-2012, 01:27
  2. Memorial Day bar
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 15:41
  3. LGKR "Don" grounded for medical reasons
    By Charlie3 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 96