Ares Games

Thread: Leaving the Table Surface

Default Leaving the Table Surface

Hey everyone,

The new rulebook indicates if a plane leaves the playing surface (center red dot or stand) it is eliminated. For a one-off game this would be fine (and I know a few of you just allow the plane to reposition itself or re-enter the table.

Does anyone have some neat campaign rules for this? I want a steep penalty for planes which leave the playing surface to be honest. It puts a lot more thought for those who like to hover on the edge of things instead of getting into the fray.

Cheers,
    Michael

Sounds like you want a white feather rule.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Seems to me that a lot depends on how big a playing surface you are using.
    In most of the games I`ve been involved in where it looked like the fight was straying over the edge, all that was required was to move all the planes a set distance inward at the end of a turn.
    In a big dogfight though there might be a problem.

Al - nice reference to white feather. I looked it up on wikipedia and it could mean cowardice and it was later used in the US as bravery... that is kinda curious. But yeah... I am looking for a rule to eliminate the cowardice side of things especially in a GAME campaign where a pilots survival might become too important as opposed to the mission at hand.

Michael

I disagree in principle with penalties for leaving the table. In the real world, there is no table edge. What is to prevent a plane from "going off the edge"? There is no glass wall at the edge of the table in my games!

I have been known to extend the table edge with a piece of card to allow planes to temporarily exit - just long enough to complete an Immelmann, or turn back onto the table. (Sometimes a heavy weight on the plane's base is all that is needed to keep it balanced on the edge of the table!)

I agree Jon.
    If a plane goes off the table in my games, I allow it to Immelmann and re appear where it left the table at the end of the next three card cycle. The only other penalty is that its first move must be a straight on re entry.
    If a pilot is obviously trying to avoid going off by either turning drastically, or trying an Immelmann that just wont quite make it, I do exactly the same as you and put a games mat under it until it gets back onto terra firmer. No other penalty is required, but he may find himself the object of the other players sense of humour in much the same wat that a bullet shy pilot is treated. It usually cures the problem. If not they don't find themselves getting invited again.
    Rob.

I use Tony Crewdson's WWI ruleset which has the following rule for exiting off an 'unfriendly' edge of the board:

Exiting the Gaming Surface

If, at the end of a manoeuvre, the centre of any airplane base is outside the playing area, that airplane is removed from the game. A plane that exits across an unfriendly edge of the area may not be free from danger. To represent this the owning player draws 3 ‘A’ deck damage cards and applies all the damage to that plane.

It is enough of a threat to make a pilot think twice.

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I use Tony Crewdson's WWI ruleset which has the following rule for exiting off an 'unfriendly' edge of the board:

Exiting the Gaming Surface

If, at the end of a manoeuvre, the centre of any airplane base is outside the playing area, that airplane is removed from the game. A plane that exits across an unfriendly edge of the area may not be free from danger. To represent this the owning player draws 3 ‘A’ deck damage cards and applies all the damage to that plane.

It is enough of a threat to make a pilot think twice.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Mmm I like that. Just because he leaves the fray doesn't necessarily mean he makes it back home in one piece.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 09-22-2012 at 22:24.

MoonSylver - I think your comments on your last post got lost in the muck.. lol

I tested this:

In one-on-one you can escape when you want. But, if you exit on enemy side, you draw 4 A deck damage cards, and everything aplies (flame, wound, engine, explosion), so you could be shot down. If you exit on neutral side, you draw a card. If it is zero, nothing happens. If 1 or more, you take one more card (everything aplies). If you exit on your side, nothing happens. Those cards should simulate any enemy fire or so.

In group games (if team has at least two players or planes) you can escape if you have at least one of conditions:
    Victory ("I'm off, that's it for today" mode)
    Percentage of damage (we didn't agree yet should it be 50 or 75%)
    Damaged engine
    Wounded pilot
    After you exit, you draw damage cards as explained above.

I must say also, when anyone draw explosion during the game we don't consider him shot down, but he draws next four A cards (everything aplies). The same goes for collision.
    Last edited by Пилот; 11-07-2012 at 04:55.

I do like the idea of the plane that leaves the table on the enemy side of the lines having to take a penalty in cards Нема&#. I'm not sure that I would go as far as four.
    In my games if a friendly plane leaves the table on his own edge and is on fire, he has to draw the number of cards that he would do to the end of the fire sequence. This decides if he gets back to his own Drome O.K. as in the official rules the maximum for this is three.
    Therefore, I would offer the same chance to an enemy aircraft, unless he chose to re enter where he left the table and continue the fight.
    Rob.

Basic idea is to discourage attempt to escape to enemy's side (infantry and artillery are waiting. Or even some new other enemy planes). Also, If you are fairly undamaged, you will probably survive, and you don't have to explain to your senior officer (or comrades) why you fled (as you probably would in reality). But, if you are damaged to some point, you will not risk easily to be shot down. That's why I insist on 4 cards (there exists great chance - and threat - of being shot down). It might seem a bit artificial, but it seems fair, also. And does the job - you will think twice.

Mentioning burning plane, we also draw damage cards as if that plane is on the gaming surface.

Немања

I don't see any mention in all of this of the reason planes go off-surface in my games: Someone gets a "no turn" critical while near the edge, and is forced off before the controls clear.

I find this happens very rarely, and Kytes method would be very suitable to remedy it.

Of course, all house rules (and any penalties) need to be determined before a game. As it is a fairly rare occurence you could pre-determine a suitable penalty with opposing players, for example; If you fly off the table, then the opposing player rolls a d6. 1/2 = Shot down by enemy AA guns, 3/4 = Returns at start of next turn where he left the table, 5/6 = Running low on fuel and returns to Aerodrome (could re-enter a few turns later at deployment zone, providing allied planes are still intact).

We could give that a go in our next game Hayden to see how those house rules work.

Likewise, scenario set ups should specify if there is any variation to the runaway off the board standard rule. You could have the scenario specify exactly what happens depending on which edge the critter runs away off of, or under what conditions. But like any other situation, make sure it is set up ahead of time. You cannot do worse than impose it on a group well into a game.

In our Avon campaign we use points per scenario. The more points a sqn/Jasta get means time goes quicker which means aircraft become available,pilots also get individual points that allows them to choose a new aircraft.
    So if you keep flying off the table you get no points and access to new aircraft delayed.
    Last edited by Boney10; 11-12-2012 at 16:14.

I like that idea!

That might put an end to Baron Rolfs Fokker D.VII whoring

As a person who managed to out think him self and fly off the edge often in the past . In a campaign game you are out . In a more relaxed game lose 1 turn and an A damage card. One must learn how to fly.

I've got rules for this in the Knights of the Air Campaign rules.

Similar Missions

1. Effect of Explosions / Leaving Combat
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 04:29
  2. Why the RFC is not leaving the mess
    By macka321 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 00:15
  3. A great game surface!
    By Bartman in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4