Ares Games

Thread: WW2 (DoW) system for WW1?

Default WW2 (DoW) system for WW1?

Cheers!
    have anyone tried to adapt the WW2 system (2 cards instead of 3) to the WW1? any attempt to adapt the low/high speed too?
    if yes, how did it work? what did you do?
    thanks!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    Cheers!
    have anyone tried to adapt the WW2 system (2 cards instead of 3) to the WW1? any attempt to adapt the low/high speed too?
    thanks!
    No my friend I think the existing WW1 3 card format fits the speed & ability of those early Aircraft.

hmm, high speed is normal operations.... low speed is stall.. crash.. game over.

I've never actually tried it, but in theory moving to a card-every-round selection method should be pretty simple. Play just like WWII, but instead of using tokens to keep track of steeps & straights, just leave the previous card face up during maneuver selection. So, instead of returning a maneuver to your hand after playing it, you would return the manuever you played lst turn to your hand, and place the just played manuever face up in slot 1.

uh huh . . .

Well, let us see here. WW1, 3 cards, max 200 miles per hour... WW2, 2 cards around 500 mph.... So 50's jets, 1 card at about 800 mph then modern stuff 1 card and duplicate it (make same card do 2 of the same action)... good luck with this trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    I've never actually tried it, but in theory moving to a card-every-round selection method should be pretty simple. Play just like WWII, but instead of using tokens to keep track of steeps & straights, just leave the previous card face up during maneuver selection. So, instead of returning a maneuver to your hand after playing it, you would return the manuever you played lst turn to your hand, and place the just played manuever face up in slot 1.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Yes, you may borrow and use our far superior system. But in honesty WWI planes really only had two speeds. Off and on. The Camel could only slow down because they would interrupt the firing of the pistons. A very bad and silly way of doing things. And most planes didn't even have that option. So while the two card system might work speed will never play a part in the gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Ninja View Post
    Yes, you may borrow and use our far superior system. But in honesty WWI planes really only had two speeds. Off and on. The Camel could only slow down because they would interrupt the firing of the pistons. A very bad and silly way of doing things. And most planes didn't even have that option. So while the two card system might work speed will never play a part in the gaming.
    Hey Lucas

I'm not doubting of what you're saying, I'm just wondering since I don't know much about this stuff and I've read something similar here in the forum before:

Was that (WWI having only two speeds, ON and OFF) true for all planes in WWI?

Albatross DV did have a throttle, and I'm pretty sure SPAD XIII had it too.
    What were those throttle for if not for speed up and slow down? Or did them have only two positions: full power and idle?

(I'm not doubting of what you're saying, I'm just asking since I don't know much about this stuff and I've read something similar here in the forum before )

Name:  albatross_dv_cockpit.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  145.8 KB
    Attached Images

I believe only rotaries had blip switches and most inlines had throttles. Many of the inlines, such as the Hisso, were used in autos of the period,

Only the Rotary Engines had a "blip" switch. Rotarys have only two speeds--"off" and "full-out". The blip switch cut off the electrical circuit to the spark plugs.
    This is the source of the "Briipp,Bripp, Bripp" sound effect in the older aviation movies.
    The "in-line" engine uses a throttle which acts exactly like the accellerator in your car.
    The rotary was liked because it was lighter in wieght and did not need to "warm-up" like the inlines.
    The main draw-back to rotarys was the centrifical force imparted the the aircraft making them wicked to fly.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    Cheers!
    thanks!
    For my _Crimson Skies_/_WoG_ crossover, I use a system where moves are played one at a time, and less-experienced pilots have to plot moves in advance (Rookies: 2 cards; Regulars: 1 card; Experts: not at all). I'm not sure how well it works, as I've yet to have a chance to blind-test it.

The single speed (w/ stall) works well with WW!. I have, however, thought about trying the DOW/WGS card-play system with the WW1 planes. It looks like a bit more realistic to me.
    One of the Ohio Squadrone members (IBERIAN SHADOW), plays WOW/WGF that way, but I've not had a chance to try it with him.
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. WoW Point System...
    By Greywolf in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 03:12
  2. The rank system
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 16:35
  3. Points System
    By Happy in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 01:09
  4. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14
  5. Point system?
    By LazyEyedPsycho in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 14:58