Ares Games

Thread: Bit of Father/Daughter time that went a bit... ahem.

Bishbosh

Default Bit of Father/Daughter time that went a bit... ahem.

Got off work early today and though it'd be great to spend some time with my 4 year old while her sister was at school. I was imagining a couple of hours of lego - which is another great hobby/passtime (really rubbish weather here today) - but she went to the games cupboard and asked to play the "aeroplane game."

I was a bit reluctant but it came out of the cupboard. Now before I go any further we play very simple rules: she can select her 3 manoeuvers as she goes but I have to pre-plan as per the rules, no gun jams, no special damage, all damage face up so she can do some counting and adding; it's all really simple and fun. She was Ellwood's Camel (Love hearts) and I was the Red Baron.

The game began with me trying to second guess the four year old girl brain as her pilot flew all over the place with no pattern or attempt to get closer to my plane. Eventually... we got withing range of one another and the shooting began, she hit me for about 3 damage and she managed to draw a 0 and a couple of 1 damage cards. Then the inevitable happened as through the twists and turns I managed to get behind her plane; happy days you may think, but some shocking shooting she pulled out a whole heap of 0's one after the other. Then she out-foxed me with a couple of random/lucky/unexpected/brilliant manoeuvers* shot me up with a couple of 4's on a pass as I sped past her, then as I sideslid she again outfoxed me with a nice banking move and strafed me on another pass for 6 and the ahem bit occured as the Red Barron plummeted to the ground - oh the ignominy!

It was great fun to be fair, but next time I'm going to insist on the proper rules

*delete as applicable.

Very nice story and excellent quality time. This happens to me every time I play with my nephews. It seems that Lady Luck decides to balance things giving them all the lucky card draw and dice rolls. But it is very funny when we seem them starting to understand the way rules work and a sly smile gets into their faces.

Great fun as you say Craig, but in future observe the Dicta Kyte. "Never underestimate your opponent especially if they are women or children".
    Rob.

My eldest daughter used to play a lot when she was younger (Wooden ships Iron men was her favourate) Now she is a Soliciter she does not game any more, however Since my Son in Law plays WoG she will occasionally join in. I have never won or even drawn a game against her.

Great story!

I must admit that I ws thinking to girl players when I put in the game a plane with hearts on the upper wings, but not so young... I'll give a try with my daughter in a couple of months when she will be 4, then!

I want to get this on the table for my girls as well & was considering modified rules as well: particularly lifting the rules on restricted maneuvers, which I think would simplify it enough.

Thumbs up

Thats a great story Craig & I bet she will want to play it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    I must admit that I ws thinking to girl players when I put in the game a plane with hearts on the upper wings
    I know that both the original Camel pilot and Leutnant Voss would find my sentence quite out of place, and probably Barker, Little and many others with them... But marketing is marketing. I had similar thoughts when I introduced a pink recon Spitfire in WoW - Flying Legend, that ion the end was not chosen among the four that became miniatures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VossPainting.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	59904
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 09-11-2012 at 23:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    I know that both the original Camel pilot and Leutnant Voss would find my sentence quite out of place, and probably Barker, Little and many others with them... But marketing is marketing. I had similar thoughts when I introduced a pink recon Spitfire in WoW - Flying Legend, that ion the end was not chosen among the four that became miniatures.

Attachment 59900
    Voss' Albatros was the first plane I thought of when I read that quote.

Craig - great story!! thanks for sharing. I love playing games with my two boys (9 and 3). I still have fond memories playing games with my parents and grandparents and I hope my kids will treasure those as I did.

Said it before - women and kids, they have no mercy in this game !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Said it before - women and kids, they have no mercy in this game !

My daughter is the same way, she'll do some wild maneuvering so I can't guess at what she's at, pull Immelmans at just the right time, and never pulls an explosion card.

It doesn't matter if it's fighter on fighter or three Breguets versus two fighters, she always beats me (flying those Breguets you'd think at least one of them would make it back off the board - it's never happened for me).

Doug

Bishbosh

Nice to see I am not the only one who has issues when playing with the kids, I certainly will not be underestimating her again. She has been asking to play again so hopefully there will be some more table time over the weekend only this time I'll be more aware that she knows what she's doing even if she gives the appearance that she doesn't.

Similar Missions

1. Flying Father's Day Gift
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 03:34
  2. Once upon a time..........
    By Linz in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 04:53
  3. Time for another one?
    By Stormkahn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16