Ares Games

Thread: Richthofens Albatros - Jasta 11 (autumn 1917)

Question Richthofens Albatros - Jasta 11 (autumn 1917)

I found this picture on the internet:

This is the site whee I found it:
    Link

Do you think that the colour scheme is true? It is realls colourful...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ken
    Sorties Flown

It is similar to the WOW mini Albatross D. Va flown by Jentsch except for the style of cross it would be a relatively simple repaint.

Here is another from the Wing Palette website
    http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/415/59/5
    It looks to have the same intense violet/purple on the upper wing. I wonder if that is the exact colour from descriptions or extrapolated from examining B&W photgraphs ?

There is also a picture on the site of a similar plane with the wings over painted red with the green/purple showing faintly underneath.
    Unit: JG I
    Serial: D.2059/17
    Pilot - Ritt.Manfred von Richthofen CO of JG I. France, August 1917.

Also
    Unit: JG I
    Serial: D.4693/17
    Pilot - Ritt.Manfred von Richthofen CO of JG I. Avesnes-les-sec Aerodrome, November-December 1917. This airplane was finished similarly to aircraft he was wounded (most probably by friendly-fire) on 6th July 1917.
    Last edited by razide; 03-17-2010 at 20:22.

Thx, obiously the green and purple wings are historically correct. But how about the body? For me the following versions still look more realistic:

Any additional comments?

I'm sure you would get a lot of helpful info over at The Aerodrome.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ken
    Sorties Flown

Seems that Richthofen often had a light coat of red over existing paint work including some of the German insignia.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I'm sure you would get a lot of helpful info over at The Aerodrome.
    Interesting info on Richthofen there. Here is a list of his victories per plane type (it is slow at work today). I wonder how many different planes he flew?

Albatros D.II - 23 *includes unconfirmed F.E.2b
    Albatros D.III - 25
    Albatros D.V - 8
    Fokker DR.I - 17
    Fokker F.I - 2
    Halberstadt DII - 6

Breakup of planes he downed. Surprisingly few Nieuports
    AWF.K.8 2
    B.E.12 3
    B.E.2c/d/e/f/g 17
    Bristol F.2a/b 3
    D.H.2 5
    DH.4 1
    DH.5 1
    F.E.2b 13
    F.E.8 1
    Martinsyde G.100 1
    Nieuport 17 3
    Nieuport 23 1
    R.E.8 7
    SE5a 3
    Sopwith 1½ Strutter 3
    Sopwith Camel 9
    Sopwith Dolphin 1
    Sopwith Pup 2
    Sopwith Triplane 1
    SPAD VII 4
    Last edited by razide; 03-18-2010 at 15:37.

Quote Originally Posted by razide View Post
    I wonder how many different planes he flew?
    I don't know but obviously he flew 4 Albatros D.V. Let me quote an answer someone gave me over at the aerodrome:

Quote Originally Posted by kojotemagic View Post
    According to an article in Windsock International, Volume 4, No.1 spring 1988, Richthofen flew 4 D.V's at various times. His first,D1177/17 JG1. June 1917, is simply described in his combat report as having a "red body". His second, D1033/17. JG1. July 1917, had a factory finish with red nose, tailplane, fin, rudder, struts, undercarriage, wheel covers and upper wing. His third, D2059/17 JG1. August 1917, had red fuselage, tailplane, struts, undercarriage, wheel covers and spinner. Fin in natural ply, rudder in lozenge fabric. Wings were standard camouflage dopes, probably green and mauve. His fourth, and last recorded D.V was D4693/17. JG1. November 1917. Richthofen reports flying this bird on November 23, 1917, when he brought down his 62nd victory (DH5, Lt J A V Boddy, No. 64 Sqn RFC). He describes this machine as having, "red hood, red tail".
    According to the history buffs at the aerodrome the plane I asked about was Müller's plane. The Roden model shows the Albatros he was wounded in.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ken
    Sorties Flown

It looks like there is quite a variation in colours on his various Albatros.
    Looking at Wing Palette you can see that some planes were altered a few times even taking into account artistict liberties taken by different artists with the profiles.

The site has atleast 7 different Fokker DR1s as indicated by the serial numbers flown by him. Interestingly one had a note that it was painted red at the factory for him such was his reputation at that stage.

Default Another Richthofen plane

I have this in my collection. I picked it up with a group of WW2 planes. It is supposed to be Richthofen`s plane?

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2435.jpg   100_2436.jpg   100_2437.jpg   100_2438.jpg  

That one looks very reallistic. But I really like the colourful version (of Müller's plane) from my first post and will dom this one soon. Additionally I will do Richthofens plane as it is shown in the Roden model because theese two planes will lokk great together...

Similar Missions

1. Jasta "Boelcke" Albatros D3 repaints
    By IRM in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 13:51
  2. Jabberwocky - RFC Version, April 1917
    By Fahnenjunker in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 14:41
  3. Jasta 19 insignia
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1