Ares Games

Thread: First series V aircraft at the Belgian front

Default First series V aircraft at the Belgian front

Gentlemen,

This morning I finally received my long anticipated order of 6 series 5 aircraft : 3 DH2's, 2 Fokker EIII's and a Halberstadt

First impression is that they are more "Toy-like" than the previous series and the "pilot" in the DH2 looks like a playing piece of a cheap boardgame...

There's a little work to be done but overall I'm rather pleased with them.

I've ordered them from "Spiele-Offensiv" in Germany and got my hands on them by sheer luck: I surfed to the web-site, saw that they were available and ordered right away... A couple of hours later everything was gone...

I suppose our German friends were also anxious to get them

Yes Alex you are right Series 5 are a bit toy like, but as you said a bit of painting here and there and some rigging makes all the difference.

Thanks for the info (toy like), I didn't know!

I can't quite pinpoint it but it seems to me that they used a different kind of plastic to mold them...they look to "clean"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    I can't quite pinpoint it but it seems to me that they used a different kind of plastic to mold them...they look to "clean"
    It might be that many have the very plain 'clear doped linen' finish, with very little colour to distract the eye.

That was certainly my feeling. All in all the unpainted ones have less "appeal"

I've ordered a Gotha ( and 2 Morane's ) from our sponsor 12-7-games because I was tired of waiting till my German supplier had them in stock... I purchased them even cheaper than I would have over here...

Yesterday the long anticipated package arrived with a note... attached : 44 dollars value + 24,98 Euro!!!!! customs Thats an additional 32 US dollars I think this will be my first and last purchase "over the pond"...

Seems you can only import "free from taxes" when the value stays under 22 Euro's or 30 US Dollar
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 09-25-2012 at 23:09.

I've had that a few times too!
    And even if the value is lower, bpost (the world's worst postal company IMNSHO) can charge you a fee just because they have presented your parcel at the customs office.
    10€ even though nobody ever even checked what's in there is quite ludicrous.

bpost: bloody (useless) post

Yup that's what happended: 14.98 customs and 10 "Handling fee"

I've ordered a Gotha ( and 2 Morane's ) from our sponsor 12-7-games because I was tired of waiting till my German supplier had them in stock... I purchased them even cheaper than I would have over here...

Yesterday the long anticipated package arrived with a note... attached : 44 dollars value + 24,98 Euro!!!!! customs Thats an additional 32 US dollars I think this will be my first and last purchase "over the pond"...

Seems you can only import "free from taxes" when the value stays under 22 Euro's or 30 US Dollar
    Well, you should have order more . I have bought twice already at 12-7-games and the total amount was always around the 100$. I know that sounds expensive but if customs gets hold of the package the fine is still around 30€. That happened to me the second time. Afterwards if I calculated the cost (everything inclusive) versus a belgian or european site it still was 15€ cheaper. For now I have the bombers on pre-order and some P-40's waiting to be shipped with them . Hopefully the guy's at customs are asleep when my package passes by.

You may have a point there Thomas... Still it came as an unwelcome surprise

The guys definetly were a sleep while my package passed. It got through without extra charges....

I got taxed on free games (some Isla Dorada I got from USA since I am a co-author) by Italian customs. Something like more than 80 euros. Explanation: they were taxing the shipping cost. :O

Just like Parcel Farce in the U.K. They even have the gall to put a handeling charge on and then make you go and collect the parcel from the Depot, in order to pay the charge.
    Rob.

Yup I got sting by Royal Mail too, customs charge then a handleing fee because customs charged me, the handling fee was twice the custom due

While I dislike having to pay Customs, it's the law of the land and not too rapacious. On the other hand, the Royal Mail handling fee is a 'no appeal, license to print money', and on a couple of occasions has effectively doubled the cost of the items bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    While I dislike having to pay Customs, it's the law of the land and not too rapacious. On the other hand, the Royal Mail handling fee is a 'no appeal, license to print money', and on a couple of occasions has effectively doubled the cost of the items bought.
    Aye Balders it's the handlering fee I'm whingeing about,customs is fair due

I would not mind if rules would be clear and laws would be enforced always in the same way.
    On the contrary, the custom fee is quite random and seems to be there or not depending on personal interpretation of the custom officers on duty at the moment. I had extra taxes sometimes on parcels with games I bought abroad, but more often I did not. I did not expected them of ree samples...
    Anyway sorry for my note. That's Italy - with some help with US customs sometime.

After reading all these comments I think it is fair to say that customs are a bit of a lottery...everywhere

THE NSW Treasurer, Mike Baird, is proposing a dramatic lowering of the GST-free threshold for goods bought online from overseas retailers in a move that would raise hundreds of millions of dollars in extra tax.

Mr Baird wants the Commonwealth to look at cutting the threshold from $1000 to about $30 to capture millions more transactions in the GST net and bring Australia into line with countries such as Britain.

The move, which was a recommendation of the Productivity Commission report into retailing last year, would add 10 per cent to most international online purchases.
    In Britain, value added tax is payable on most online purchases worth more than Ģ18 ($28). In Canada the threshold is $C20 ($19) and in the US it is $US200 ($187).
    The report estimated that at a threshold of $100 it would cost about $15 per item to collect $22 in GST. By 2018, as volumes increased, the cost per item would fall to below $14 and the GST collected would rise to almost $23.

Unfortunately what isn't mentioned here (and fair enough, the journo wouldn't know) is that every parcel will not just be charged the GST - they will also be charged customs processing fees.

Currently, from Australia Post, these are $159.70 in total (customs + brokerage + quarantine charges) per parcel.
    http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...#ixzz29kkE8cH2

So a $20 parcel with $10 postage will attract $3 in GST taxes - and $159.70 in fees. So much for the assumption that a 10% charge will have no effect on the quantity of goods coming in worth $100 or less, which make up the bulk of purchases.

Fortunately this is a State treasurer, not a Federal one, so this proposal will be ditched as soon as the implications are realised. It's a protectionist measure to benefit local retailers.

After reading all these comments I think it is fair to say that customs are a bit of a lottery...everywhere

...And State treasure departments are greedy...(fill in as appropriate)

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 11:17
  2. What Entente aircraft were flown above the Italian front?
    By Watchdog in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 13:13
  3. New Series: Axis and Allies Aircraft
    By podette in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 19:09
  4. New German aircraft arrive at the Front
    By Chris Maes in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 12:17