Ares Games

Thread: Thunderbolt 1947

Lightbulb Thunderbolt 1947

I found this on YouTube and had to post it. If it has been done already forgive me. A 1944 made film on Jugs flying out of Corsica!

Rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWD4ITJGdTw

Brilliant film! Kind of surreal though with the commentary in places IIRC - the Jugs are flying home independently having gotten scattered train strafing.

Commentator: "Hmmn, those farmhouses look suspicious (gun camera) nothing in that one.....(gun camera) or that one. (gun camera, big explosion) aha!

Small figure runs across field, commentator, " I wonder who that is?.....No freind of mine.....(more gun camera as little running figure surrounded by bullet splashes)

I did not know that they were dive bombers as it looked like in the bridge bombing. But a very good video.

Bob

It is great footage, of my favorite Allied WW2 fighter!!

I don't if it was called dive bombing by the USAAF, since the top brass thought dive bombers were not effective! Maybe a glide bombing attack. The P-47 had a better record of surviving strafing missions. The P-51`s radiator cooled engine could not take the damage , the P-47`s radial could. Chuck Yeager walked out of France and into Spain after that one lucky hit his Mustang took.

Rich

Good job Richard. I've seen it before but worth seeing again.

Thomas

Tom

I also liked the other suggested clips. How to fly a P-47 for instance!

Rich

Most excellent video. I'd never seen it before and loved it. Lloyd

Similar Missions

1. I just got my Tarheel Hal P47D Thunderbolt
    By bigk57 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 08:30