Ares Games

Thread: Douglas SBD Dauntless 1/200

Default Douglas SBD Dauntless 1/200

This is a WW II 1/200 plane I really missed the whole time:

The famous Douglas SBD Dauntless

So I ordered two Dauntless and decals from Miniature Armaments. The miniatures are very detailed, even with missing propeller blades. The decals are ok but very sensible, so take care when assembling and sealing them with clear coat.

The "B" letter and the white numbers on the nose are decals from my reserves. The blue paiting is too dark for the original small black letter/number decals.

Here are the two new WW II minis on my Midway gaming mat. They will see first action in the new Midway Solo Campaign here at the Aerodrome:

The models have little screws under the fuselage and I found little magnets in my stuff. So I glued the magnets on a peg. The Aichi Val dive bomber bases fit perfect to the firing arcs of the Dauntless bombers. I took the planes card from the Fire from the Sky expansion.

...I was to lazy to paint the landing gear wheels.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 08-26-2012 at 23:29.

The models look good! Don't worry about the not painting the landing gear wheels. Omitting those still leaves your models "table ready", meaning that they still look good when you are look down at them during a game.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep, stuff painting the landing gear - they shouldn't be spending much time upside down anyway.... . Nice work, especially on the canopies; the extra effort there really helps them stand out, and you've filled an essential gap in the collection.

Thumbs up

Sven

A great job those! All the AIM line i have seen are nice looking!

Rich

David

Were the landing gear painted on the Betty you flew to weeks ago?

Rich

Yes, this is a big gap in the official minis line and you did a great job of filling it with these. Another tempting project to work on!

Very good looking planes.

I missed that thread being on vacation, but now I can see we both fund Dauntlesses as important addition to our collections. Very well done, Sven!

Similar Missions

1. Douglas A20 Boston found in Italy
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 04:57
  2. Ten Beautiful birds - Part 3: Dauntless and Avengers
    By Blackronin in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 12:41
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 10:09